Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus: SQ 935 DPS-SIN 19 FEB 2023 departing 10:30am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Booked this flight on a MileagePlus ticket. I have since determined that it is no longer bookable on SQ in any class of service but 1K desk says it’s still flying and hasn’t been canceled. Do you guys think:

A) UA 1K desk is correct that it is still flying and not to worry.

B) SQ has already canceled it and it doesn’t flow into MileagePlus system. Reason why? Data source?

C) SQ has the flight in a sort of purgatory and it will soon be canceled. Data source?

D) Something else. Data source?

If B or C, I’d rather rebook it now and get a good seat and amend my plans early rather than wait for the IT of the airlines to serve the customer well.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Booked this flight on a MileagePlus ticket. I have since determined that it is no longer bookable on SQ in any class of service but 1K desk says it’s still flying and hasn’t been canceled. Do you guys think:

A) UA 1K desk is correct that it is still flying and not to worry.

B) SQ has already canceled it and it doesn’t flow into MileagePlus system. Reason why? Data source?

C) SQ has the flight in a sort of purgatory and it will soon be canceled. Data source?

D) Something else. Data source?

If B or C, I’d rather rebook it now and get a good seat and amend my plans early rather than wait for the IT of the airlines to serve the customer well.
There's a lot of this going on with SQ. The flights are still loaded, but all the fare classes are zeroed out. You can see yourself via ITA Matrix and unselect flights "Only show flights and prices with available seats".

I'm in a similar situation with a SQ flight in Jan. Not much to do unless it is actually canceled unless you want to manually rebook.
jsloan and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
There's a lot of this going on with SQ. The flights are still loaded, but all the fare classes are zeroed out. You can see yourself via ITA Matrix and unselect flights "Only show flights and prices with available seats".

I'm in a similar situation with a SQ flight in Jan. Not much to do unless it is actually canceled unless you want to manually rebook.
How often does an (reputable?) airline like SQ open a flight for booking, then several months later zero out all fare classes (as is now the case) AND then at some point later on decide to open it up again?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Blame uncertainty caused by COViD, not SQ.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Would you change your confirmed flight when you discover it’s no longer bookable? Or just wait until whenever it’s convenient for the airline to let you know something is up? I can’t help but feel something is sketchy with the flight.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are you connecting to another flight, or just doing that leg? There's saver availability on both the 12:05pm and 1pm flights. If you're not connecting, then for the sake of 90 minutes I'd be changing it now rather than risking not being able to in the future. If you're connecting and there's a further downstream change needed then obviously that's a different situation.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Would you change your confirmed flight when you discover it’s no longer bookable? Or just wait until whenever it’s convenient for the airline to let you know something is up? I can’t help but feel something is sketchy with the flight.
It would be considered a voluntary change and the change would be repriced. And award availability would be required.

As multiple flights have been zero'ed out, some will be cancelled and some will be merged into other flights (that are also zero'ed out to protect space until merged) No way to know which will happened, Not consider a schedule cancellation until the flight is removed from the schedule.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
If it does end up being scrubbed, does UA simply refund the miles and taxes? Any option to protect on say TG with a connection?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
If it does end up being scrubbed, does UA simply refund the miles and taxes?
They will rebook the passenger if there is other award space available. Otherwise, yes, it’s a refund.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Any option to protect on say TG with a connection?
No, UA is not going to protect somebody against a schedule change that hasn’t actually happened.

Also, OP: if you’re really just flying DPS-SIN, you can fly KLM for under $150 in Y and under $400 in J. You can also fly Scoot. (SQ, on the other hand, will gouge you for a one-way flight). And that’s without even checking AirAsia. As for TG, routing via BKK is 2.5x as far as the nonstop. (BKK is barely any closer to SIN than DPS is).
SPN Lifer and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kmxu
That excuse got old about a year ago.

Both Singapore and Indonesia are now fully open. SQ is trying to maximize revenue and minimize expenses. It doesn't much care about inconvenience to passengers. It's been coasting on reputation for many years now.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If it does get cancelled there is Garuda and plenty of budget airlines between SIN-DPS you could jump on. (At least there were - I haven't been since the before times)
Problem is bags won't go thru to final destination.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:15 am
Original Poster

SQ eliminated the flight from the schedule early this morning. An email was generated notifying me they had put me on the next flight DPS-SIN 95 minutes later, which totally works. UA itinerary was updated and another email was generated to me with the change. All in all a decent outcome. I truly appreciate all the insight and advice about what’s permissible, options to consider and so forth. Thank you, FT Community!
Kacee, SCChris, jsloan and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.