Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lounges in ORD or what to do with 6-7 hour ORD layover

Old Jul 12, 22, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold

We are flying through ORD with a very long layover. Which of the United Club lounges would you recommend?
We'd have about 6-7 hours of free time. Does it make sense to visit downtown during that time?

Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 22, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ron50 View Post
We'd have about 6-7 hours of free time. Does it make sense to visit downtown during that time?
Downtown, or your favorite deep-dish pizza place, or both. Yes, absolutely thats enough time.
marks88, findark, Ron50 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 22, 7:38 am

We are flying through ORD with a very long layover. Which of the United Club lounges would you recommend?

Thanks.
The B6 UC for T1 departures as its the biggest in size and has full complement of food & beverage.

If flying out of T2, then the F9 UC, which has a view of the tarmac and full offering.
Ron50, Flying Machine and pamdrew like this.
Old Jul 12, 22, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B View Post
The B6 UC for T1 departures as it’s the biggest in size and has full complement of food & beverage.

If flying out of T2, then the F9 UC, which has a view of the tarmac and full offering.
Seems like we be arriving and departing Terminal 1 so B6 UC it is.

Thanks all for the information.

Last edited by Ron50; Jul 12, 22 at 10:24 am
Old Jul 12, 22, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Thanks.
Plenty of time to see downtown, but I'd strongly recommend taking Uber over the blue line. They're still forcing people to switch trains at Rosemont at certain times of the day. Uber is usually $30-40 each way.

Keep an eye on traffic, it can take 1-1.5hrs to go from downtown to ORD if it's backed up.
Old Jul 12, 22, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CPS89 View Post
Plenty of time to see downtown, but I'd strongly recommend taking Uber over the blue line. They're still forcing people to switch trains at Rosemont at certain times of the day. Uber is usually $30-40 each way.

Keep an eye on traffic, it can take 1-1.5hrs to go from downtown to ORD if it's backed up.
Wow your Chi Town Uber rates are pretty good. I have heard of some crazy pricing here in the Bay Area now for Uber. My nephew said he pain $150 from SFO to SF with "surge pricing". I told him he should have just taken the yellow cab.
Old Jul 12, 22, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Wow your Chi Town Uber rates are pretty good. I have heard of some crazy pricing here in the Bay Area now for Uber. My nephew said he pain $150 from SFO to SF with "surge pricing". I told him he should have just taken the yellow cab.
Wow that's insane. A couple years ago that would have gotten you an Uber to Monterey in offpeak times.
Old Jul 12, 22, 6:10 pm

It's been at least 9 months since ORD to downtown rates were that low on Uber. It's $50-60 minimum nowadays. Taxis are almost always cheaper. I still recommend getting out of the airport for a layover that long.
Old Jul 12, 22, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz View Post
It's been at least 9 months since ORD to downtown rates were that low on Uber. It's $50-60 minimum nowadays. Taxis are almost always cheaper. I still recommend getting out of the airport for a layover that long.
I paid $31 from Streeterville to ORD this morning on Uber. YMMV.
leftysauce and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Jul 12, 22, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I’ve always preferred the UC in F. Less crowded with a good view of the airport.
Old Jul 12, 22, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
It's a double-edged sword in my opinion. Either Uber/taxi can get stuck in traffic even on the initial departure out of the airport
and all the way downtown. And the L can have periodic issues as well.

A middle option is to not go all the way downtown but ~halfway. If the L is running smoothly, it's 20-25 minutes to get to Logan
Square or other stops with some nice dining, if food is your goal. See a previous thread:

Lunch in Chicago
Old Jul 12, 22, 8:15 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
No lounge at ORD is worth eight hours unless you can find somewhere to take a nap.

I’d recommend Rosemont or Logan Square if you don’t want to go all the way downtown.
Repooc17 and onthesam like this.
Old Jul 12, 22, 8:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Or even get a day room at a hotel nearby.
Old Jul 12, 22, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Yes, the surge pricing for SFO is crazy. Uber was asking $100 from SFO to S. SF (2 BART station from SFO) in May and I just kindly take a cab
Old Jul 12, 22, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

And if taking the Blue line and having to hoof it around stations, then between the heat, humidity and rainstorms, there can be the following unpleasantness of being quite sweaty or otherwise wet before taking the flight out of ORD. If having access to a shower at the lounge or an ORD area gym/hotel, then that may be less of an issue.

Search this Thread