FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Lounges in ORD or what to do with 6-7 hour ORD layover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2086653-lounges-ord-what-do-6-7-hour-ord-layover.html)

Ron50 Jul 12, 2022 7:03 am

Lounges in ORD or what to do with 6-7 hour ORD layover

We are flying through ORD with a very long layover. Which of the United Club lounges would you recommend?
We'd have about 6-7 hours of free time. Does it make sense to visit downtown during that time?

Thanks.

jsloan Jul 12, 2022 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Ron50 (Post 34418184)
We'd have about 6-7 hours of free time. Does it make sense to visit downtown during that time?

Downtown, or your favorite deep-dish pizza place, or both. Yes, absolutely that’s enough time.

AirbusFan2B Jul 12, 2022 7:38 am

We are flying through ORD with a very long layover. Which of the United Club lounges would you recommend?

Thanks.

The B6 UC for T1 departures as it’s the biggest in size and has full complement of food & beverage.

If flying out of T2, then the F9 UC, which has a view of the tarmac and full offering.

Ron50 Jul 12, 2022 9:14 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 34418286)
The B6 UC for T1 departures as it’s the biggest in size and has full complement of food & beverage.

If flying out of T2, then the F9 UC, which has a view of the tarmac and full offering.

Seems like we be arriving and departing Terminal 1 so B6 UC it is.

Thanks all for the information.

CPS89 Jul 12, 2022 11:41 am

Thanks.

Plenty of time to see downtown, but I'd strongly recommend taking Uber over the blue line. They're still forcing people to switch trains at Rosemont at certain times of the day. Uber is usually $30-40 each way.

Keep an eye on traffic, it can take 1-1.5hrs to go from downtown to ORD if it's backed up.

nomad420 Jul 12, 2022 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPS89 (Post 34419041)
Plenty of time to see downtown, but I'd strongly recommend taking Uber over the blue line. They're still forcing people to switch trains at Rosemont at certain times of the day. Uber is usually $30-40 each way.

Keep an eye on traffic, it can take 1-1.5hrs to go from downtown to ORD if it's backed up.

Wow your Chi Town Uber rates are pretty good. I have heard of some crazy pricing here in the Bay Area now for Uber. My nephew said he pain $150 from SFO to SF with "surge pricing". I told him he should have just taken the yellow cab.

stupidhead Jul 12, 2022 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 34419149)
Wow your Chi Town Uber rates are pretty good. I have heard of some crazy pricing here in the Bay Area now for Uber. My nephew said he pain $150 from SFO to SF with "surge pricing". I told him he should have just taken the yellow cab.

Wow that's insane. :eek: A couple years ago that would have gotten you an Uber to Monterey in offpeak times.

UndercoverOscarMunoz Jul 12, 2022 6:10 pm

It's been at least 9 months since ORD to downtown rates were that low on Uber. It's $50-60 minimum nowadays. Taxis are almost always cheaper. I still recommend getting out of the airport for a layover that long.

iluv2fly Jul 12, 2022 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz (Post 34420141)
It's been at least 9 months since ORD to downtown rates were that low on Uber. It's $50-60 minimum nowadays. Taxis are almost always cheaper. I still recommend getting out of the airport for a layover that long.

I paid $31 from Streeterville to ORD this morning on Uber. YMMV.

TomMM Jul 12, 2022 7:07 pm

I’ve always preferred the UC in F. Less crowded with a good view of the airport.

shoeflyer Jul 12, 2022 7:50 pm

It's a double-edged sword in my opinion. Either Uber/taxi can get stuck in traffic even on the initial departure out of the airport
and all the way downtown. And the L can have periodic issues as well.

A middle option is to not go all the way downtown but ~halfway. If the L is running smoothly, it's 20-25 minutes to get to Logan
Square or other stops with some nice dining, if food is your goal. See a previous thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post33589066

TravelerMSY Jul 12, 2022 8:15 pm

No lounge at ORD is worth eight hours unless you can find somewhere to take a nap.

I’d recommend Rosemont or Logan Square if you don’t want to go all the way downtown.

Repooc17 Jul 12, 2022 8:51 pm

Or even get a day room at a hotel nearby.

yuenpo Jul 12, 2022 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post 34419149)

Yes, the surge pricing for SFO is crazy. Uber was asking $100 from SFO to S. SF (2 BART station from SFO) in May and I just kindly take a cab

GUWonder Jul 12, 2022 11:53 pm

And if taking the Blue line and having to hoof it around stations, then between the heat, humidity and rainstorms, there can be the following unpleasantness of being quite sweaty or otherwise wet before taking the flight out of ORD. If having access to a shower at the lounge or an ORD area gym/hotel, then that may be less of an issue.