Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

July 21-24 LHR strike action affecting UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:29 am
Original Poster

So I just read that there is a strike action for a LHR refueling company (AFS) that supplies United airlines. Supposed to last from July 21-24. Of course, I am scheduled to fly into LHR during that timeframe. Obviously, the strike could get called off at any time. Or United could arrange a temporary contract with another refueling company at Heathrow for those days. Anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood my flight is cancelled and when I could expect to hear from United about this? I'm guessing it wouldn't be until shortly before this strike is set to take effect, but that is obviously less than ideal for trying to figure out alternate plans.

Last edited by Daedalus7; Jul 7, 2022 at 12:52 am
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If this does start to look real, UA will normally issue a travel waiver. Many of these strike actions never occur, so UA will probably wait until closer to the potential event.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. If an action like this does go ahead, how far in advance does United start changing flights, and does it typically lead to cancellation of all United flights on affected dates, or only some? Also, does a travel waiver allow me to rebook on a partner airline that might not be affected? Sorry for all the questions - this is a new one for me.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Daedalus7
Thanks for the reply. If an action like this does go ahead, how far in advance does United start changing flights, and does it typically lead to cancellation of all United flights on affected dates, or only some? Also, does a travel waiver allow me to rebook on a partner airline that might not be affected? Sorry for all the questions - this is a new one for me.
I have to assume, and not without basis, that UA will be able to find an alternative fuel provider in case of a strike.

But in terms of you taking proactive action, don't expect any agent to be helpful until that travel waiver is in place.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I have to assume, and not without basis, that UA will be able to find an alternative fuel provider in case of a strike.

But in terms of you taking proactive action, don't expect any agent to be helpful until that travel waiver is in place.
Yeah I'm hoping for the best - glad to hear that it's likely they will have a backup plan in place. And no, definitely not calling for anything until I hear about a travel waiver, if one is necessary. Just curious about how these things usually play out so I can plan/prepare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.