Wiki Posts
Search

Options if UA flight gets cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Options if UA flight gets cancelled?

I have an upcoming flight from EWR-BGR tomorrow evening. Upon checking FlightAware, however, I found that this particular flight for the same time was cancelled yesterday evening. It was also cancelled five times in the past week and a half.

Should this happen to me, is it possible to get United to fly me on AA, for example? UA only flies twice a day to BGR, whereas there are more options with AA to fly in the morning from LGA.

Long story short, I need to get on a ferry in time to an island in Maine (last ferry is at 5pm), so I can’t go with United’s options with their two flights the next day should my flight get cancelled.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
You could always hedge your bets and book a refundable AA flight - the problem with UA putting you on a AA flight is the AA option may sell out or UA does not give you that option.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Do you need to go into BGR? You could always get moved to PWM, PQI is not an attractive option in the event of cancel, because of where it is located.

Have fun in Maine.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You could always hedge your bets and book a refundable AA flight - the problem with UA putting you on a AA flight is the AA option may sell out or UA does not give you that option.
Ah I see! Those AA flights in the morning are pretty pricey right now :/ I vaguely remember that UA has agreements with AA and Delta to rebook their passengers on, but I’m not sure how that’s actually done in practice.

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Do you need to go into BGR? You could always get moved to PWM, PQI is not an attractive option in the event of cancel, because of where it is located.

Have fun in Maine.
Hmm that’s true! The issue for me is that there’s only one bus that gets to this small town where the dock is, and it only runs once a day. But I’ll also check if PWM is an option I could go with. Thank you so much!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
If this is for Thursday, 7 July, there are no non-stop AA options to BGR out of LGA, which means that the flight has to cancel before 6:30am so you can get on the 8am DCA flight out of LGA and make your ferry.

You are better off on the DL nonstop out of LGA, and that would put you into BGR at 12:20pm or 4:01pm for off-line options.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Quarantine
Ah I see! Those AA flights in the morning are pretty pricey right now :/ I vaguely remember that UA has agreements with AA and Delta to rebook their passengers on, but I’m not sure how that’s actually done in practice.
They do have such agreements. If the flight is canceled due to something under UA’s control, you may be able to get them to put you an AA or DL flight at no cost to you. If it’s not something under UA’s control — e.g., weather, or ATC-forced flight reductions — they will likely demur.

Getting rerouted to PWM, and then driving from there, would likely be your fastest / least expensive option in that case.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
If this is for Thursday, 7 July, there are no non-stop AA options to BGR out of LGA, which means that the flight has to cancel before 6:30am so you can get on the 8am DCA flight out of LGA and make your ferry.

You are better off on the DL nonstop out of LGA, and that would put you into BGR at 12:20pm or 4:01pm for off-line options.
That's right! My UA flight is for Thursday, 7 July (9.56pm - 11.28pm). I would probably know at the gate if the flight's canceled, and then hope they'll rebook me when I ask on a flight that gets out of LGA. EWR is pretty far from where I live.

You're also right about DL nonstop out of LGA! I think I misremembered when I wrote AA previously. I just saw that UA actually does have a flight out of EWR on Friday, 8 July from 9.10am - 10.48am, but having to travel all the way to EWR again would be a pain for me, unless they could put me up in a hotel in EWR.

Originally Posted by jsloan
They do have such agreements. If the flight is canceled due to something under UA’s control, you may be able to get them to put you an AA or DL flight at no cost to you. If it’s not something under UA’s control — e.g., weather, or ATC-forced flight reductions — they will likely demur.

Getting rerouted to PWM, and then driving from there, would likely be your fastest / least expensive option in that case.
Ah interesting. Would staffing shortages be considered as something under UA's control? I don't see a reason on FlightAware why these flights were cancelled so many times in the past week and a half, but it feels like that's the main reason these days.

Thanks a lot. I'll keep that PWM option in mind!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Would staffing shortages be considered as something under UA's control?
My guess is that United will blame ATC shortages before their own.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:03 pm

Would staffing shortages be considered as something under UA's control?
Staffing shortages are unlikely to be the immediate cause. Staff shortages are the indirect cause that they are likely to avoid pinning it on.
Say an earlier flight is late getting in because of weather, and staff times out. No staff is available to cover them due to staffing shortages. Was your flight canceled due to weather or staffing shortages? Well, both, but the airline is going to say weather.
Broadly speaking, way more flights are being canceled due to staffing because they don't have the resiliency to respond to regular disruptions, which is what we hear about in the news. But on a flight by flight basis, the airlines are not pinning it on staff shortages.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Looks like the flight departed early and is scheduled to arrive 25 minutes early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.