Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Son denied OHB bag help by flight attendant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Son denied OHB bag help by flight attendant

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:48 am

Seems like the appropriate course of action by the FA would have been "I cannot/will not help but let me get someone that can."
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Seems like the appropriate course of action by the FA would have been "I cannot/will not help but let me get someone that can."
Pretty much this. I'm not saying that the Flight Attendant has to personally lift the bag into the bin (although that would be an expedient solution to the problem). I am saying that assisting a disabled passenger in getting the bag into the bin is the Flight Attendant's problem. Assisting with stowage is literally the first item under "Specific Duties and Abilities" in their Description of Duties. Even if you eliminate all the absurd theoretical arguments here, the plane isn't moving with the bag in the aisle ... nor is the plane likely to successfully continue boarding. They're welcome to enlist other passengers for assistance, call a Gate Agent or other airport staff for backup, or whatever else they want to do, but ultimately as the airline's representative on board the aircraft it is their problem.
TPACjv likes this.

Last edited by Sykes; Jul 5, 2022 at 11:20 am
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Despite all this shoulda/woulda/coulda, judging from the OP Mom's text, this able bodied 28 year old male, came on board and asked the FA to help with the bag. She said "No, I can't, sorry". I can see why a busy FA at boarding would decline, particularly if she assessed the son's age, perhaps had some skepticism over his need, and the probable lack of any visible outward disability (I dont think you wear any braces or casts for a collarbone break). Maybe he then said, "But I'm injured" as a follow-on. Then a passenger probably the guy behind him overheard that and helped, likely immediately, knowing how people are rushing to board, particularly if the people the son was holding up boarding while trying to get his bag up. It doesn't sound like there was some big discussion with the FA, unless the son made a scene over it (and perhaps this is the case, if Mom is posting this question). I doubt the FA even had time to suggest calling someone over and doesn't sound like there some huge passage of time before the problem was solved.

The OP just asked, was this "usual." The answer seems to be "Yes."

I think everyone agrees that if you have an injury that is going to keep you from putting up your overheard you have two options 1) check the bag or 2) let the gate agent know in advance so they get him help when boarding. I assume the OP and her son now know that you can't rely on FAs for their next flight, and won't have any issues with this going forward.

Agree 100% percent with earlier posts that disagree with those are going to literally try and make a "federal" case out of this by filing a complaint with the DOT. It wasn't like this created some huge time delay, inconvenience, or stigma or embarrassment for the son. Lets save the recommendations for DOT complaints for real issues. Chalk this up as a lesson for all about traveling while injured and unable to 100% handle your own logistics, including lifting a carryon.

Last edited by 94010flyer; Jul 5, 2022 at 11:28 am
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:28 am

Quite a controversial topic.

But close to home. I injured my left ring finger on Saturday, but essentially can't use my left hand. Without surgery, 12 week recovery; with surgery longer. I have planned travel. In any case, there is no way I could lift my carryon into an overhead bin with my right hand, without risking that it slips and it injures somebody.

I'm checking my bag; not chancing it with a gate check. I do not expect anyone's, FA's or passenger's, assistance in this circumstance.
moondog, jsloan, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by estnet
So the original question wasn't a complaint it was a question "is this usual?" The answer is yes it is usual.
I'm too short to reach the overhead bin and have been refused help for 4x years by american FA (not that I asked after the first and second refusal) - Imagine my surprise the first time I flew SQ in econ. and a FA came running up to help me with my bag before I even thought about it. No foreign airline has ever refused me help.
On any american airline I just look for a taller passenger walking by and politely ask for help. Can't remember ever being refused.
Perhaps this is because SQ limits cabin baggage to 7kg in weight. UA has no limitation, and I have seen many 10-20kg (or more) items brought on as carry-ons. Now if UA started imposing SQ carry-on weight restrictions, imagine the squawks that would be posted on this board.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
Originally Posted by Sykes
but ultimately as the airline's representative on board the aircraft it is their problem.
Originally Posted by mh3265a
when the FA should have tried to help out even if they couldn't lift the bag themself
And very likely this would have happened had another passenger not stepped up immediately to assist with the carry on after the FA declined. But all of this discussion is being generated because we have very little context or insight into the actual events that took place. The most likely reality? FA declined to assist, another passenger immediately helped, problem was resolved, no need for it to go further. Had someone else not helped, then sure the FA could have gotten someone else to help, but likely the problem was resolved well before they even had a chance to go to that step.

Yet the discussion early on became about how UA doesn't want to help people with disabilities or to make a DOT complaint, and so people accordingly responded that if we're going to look at this from a disability perspective what should have been done by a passenger, and why a FA refusing to help isn't a refusal by UA to assist people with disabilities.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I think we can all agree the OP's question ("is this usual?") has been answered. IANAL but I would like to point out that there are very real legal differences between "may", "will", and "shall" -- at least, there have always been very real differences in how those words are used and understood in every contract I have been a party to or seen.

While a broken collarbone may not fall under the ADA, it is a very real, painful, and limiting injury which may not be immediately obvious to visual inspection. The same goes for sciatica and a number of other physical conditions. At the same time, this thread has exposed a number of reasons why FAs shouldn't be expected to assist with loading carry-ons into the overhead bins. It would be a lot easier for all concerned if travelers planned to be as self-sufficient as possible rather than assume they'll get someone else to put their 18 kg carry-on in the overhead for them and the rest of us help out a fellow traveler in distress if/when we can. I grew up as a Boy Scout and was a Scout Leader for over 25 years -- I'm happy to help people when and where I can but my willingness to do so is inversely proportional to their assumption or expectation that I have some kind of implied burden to help them.
SPN Lifer and lamphs like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
It would be a lot easier for all concerned if travelers planned to be as self-sufficient as possible
If you can't lift it, don't bring it.
billchristoff likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I don't know the work rules, but the idea that a flight attendant should under no circumstance lift a bag is bizarre to me. I've flown for a while and recall flight attendants on a variety of airlines helping passengers put luggage in overhead bins, putting them up themselves, etc. I didn't even know this was a work rule because I see it so often.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:13 pm

This got me reading Americans with Disabilities Act. Turns out it does not cover aviation because that is covered by Air Carrier Access Act

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...ded-assistance

"When providing assistance to passengers with disabilities who are navigating the airport, airlines are required to assist passengers in carrying their gate-checked or carry-on luggage when passengers are unable to carry the luggage due to their disability."
"Advise airline personnel at the boarding gate of any assistance you may need (e.g. pre-board, assistance with carry-on luggage or moving within the aircraft)"
"Advise the flight attendants if you need assistance stowing/retrieving your carry-on luggage or other assistance during the flight."

Doesn't say FAs are required to help with baggage themselves, but you can advise them to seek assistance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by seenitall
Perhaps this is because SQ limits cabin baggage to 7kg in weight. UA has no limitation, and I have seen many 10-20kg (or more) items brought on as carry-ons. Now if UA started imposing SQ carry-on weight restrictions, imagine the squawks that would be posted on this board.
Actually no, it was the same roll aboard I always use - and not exceptionally heavy since I can't lift much even when not overhead. Major difference in service mindset, culture and probably union (or not union) work rules.
Moyerclan likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In summary
Airlines are required to help with OHB for those with qualified disabilities if requested
FAs are not required to help with OHB but may.
Many FAs will help but some will not YMMV
Other passengers may help
Checking bags is an option
Did I miss anything?

The main controversy is if FAs should be more willing to help, even if not required.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In summary
Airlines are required to help with OHB for those with qualified disabilities if requested
FAs are not required to help with OHB but may.
Many FAs will help but some will not YMMV
Other passengers may help
Checking bags is an option
Did I miss anything?

The main controversy is if FAs should be more willing to help, even if not required.
I agree that it would be the only controversy, except that UA does charge for checked bags. I do not believe that morally (or legally), an airline can charge for a disability accommodation. If the FA was unwilling to help (within her right), she should have offered the passenger the option to check the bag free of charge as an alternative to stowing it.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I am pretty sure that broken bones do not qualify as a disability under the ADA -just FYI
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO1974
I am pretty sure that broken bones do not qualify as a disability under the ADA -just FYI
I think that really is a it depends - regardless of ADA or ACA. I'd say a broken collarbone definitely isn't a disability. I broke a toe a couple of years ago and couldn't run - for awhile so no, I wasn't disabled. If I broke my legs - had surgery - needed a wheelchair - I'm disabled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.