Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Son denied OHB bag help by flight attendant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Son denied OHB bag help by flight attendant

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Checking the bag ≠ a reasonable accommodation

1. If disabled passengers are not allowed a carry on, they will be receiving a smaller baggage allowance than other passengers. Those who say they should check the bag are also ignoring the charges for checked bags.

2. You are also ignoring the fact that many people prefer to carry on in case of IRROPS, to speed their exit from the airport upon arrival, and to avoid having their bag lost or damaged. Disabled passengers are equally entitled to take advantage of this option.

I find the tone of much of this discussion quite disturbing. The "they can be accommodated so long as it doesn't create an extra obligation for anyone else" line of argument is incorrect as to the law. Businesses are obliged to make extra efforts to allow equal access and participation by disabled people. This includes widening doors and walkways, providing lifts, etc. All of these requirements create extra work and costs for someone. That they do not want to do it is no defense.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:37 pm

Can you imagine travel if FA were expected (*demanded of) to haul up those behemoth bags for everyone on the jet? Poor child would be out on workers comp after first flight!
Its reminds me of hearing about families of rehab patients outraged that the nurse hasn't unnecessarily hand fed mom yet they've been standing there for an hour and the nurse is busy putting gramps into the ambulance
LETTERBOY and 36902BRF like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by prestonh
There is a requirement for giving assistance to those with disabilities, including making reasonable accommodations to applicable policies in order to avoid removal of pax. If I were the affected pax I would file a dot complaint.
nope that doesn’t cover bags and putting them in overhead bins. If he had a chair attendant wheel him on then they could have helped him as part of that service.

Originally Posted by Sykes
Carriers are explicitly obligated to help passengers with disabilities stow their carry-on baggage:

The referenced 382.91(d) also obligates carriers to assist with moving carry-on baggage throughout the terminal.
correct but this request for service must be made before boarding upon which airline will seek someone from airport services to assist. Or alternatively the gate agent could have a designated (UA employee in this case) come to gate to assist. It is not the job of the on duty FA to do this. Imagine if they got asked by all 150 flyers to do so.

EDIT - realizing after post that my comments are same as previous post. However, I stand by this and stating it a second time should serve to reinforce the point being made.
PTahCha and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 4, 2022 at 11:25 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
So the original question wasn't a complaint it was a question "is this usual?" The answer is yes it is usual.
I'm too short to reach the overhead bin and have been refused help for 4x years by american FA (not that I asked after the first and second refusal) - Imagine my surprise the first time I flew SQ in econ. and a FA came running up to help me with my bag before I even thought about it. No foreign airline has ever refused me help.
On any american airline I just look for a taller passenger walking by and politely ask for help. Can't remember ever being refused.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I actually don’t think a broken collarbone meets the definition of disabled by the ADA - it has to be an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity - and I don’t think the inability to lift heavy bags a major life activity
uanj, mrow, seenitall and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lexdevil
1. If disabled passengers are not allowed a carry on, they will be receiving a smaller baggage allowance than other passengers. Those who say they should check the bag are also ignoring the charges for checked bags.
Gate check is free. No reduction in baggage allowance or increased cost.
ExplorerWannabe and Collierkr like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Collierkr
correct but this request for service must be made before boarding upon which airline will seek someone from airport services to assist. Or alternatively the gate agent could have a designated (UA employee in this case) come to gate to assist. It is not the job of the on duty FA to do this. Imagine if they got asked by all 150 flyers to do so.

EDIT - realizing after post that my comments are same as previous post. However, I stand by this and stating it a second time should serve to reinforce the point being made.
Advance notice for assistance with stowing of carry-ons is not required under the list of services listed in

§ 382.27 May a carrier require a passenger with a disability to provide advance notice in order to obtain certain specific services in connection with a flight?
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Complain if 1) the bag didn't get in the bin and 2) if UA did nothing.
This. If the pax wasn’t able to load the bag himself AND United refused to have ground crew come up and assist, then a complaint may be warranted. All this quoting the CFR when it pertains to the airline, and not the FA, is irrelevant. I recently was on a flight where they did have ground crew come up to load carry-ons..don’t remember the exact circumstances but that was the outcome.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
When I had a broken shoulder, I had already read messages like this and simply asked a fellow passenger for help, which was always graciously offered. That said, I think a disabled pax should be assisted and if the FA has to call someone to assist, then that should be done politely and graciously without imposing burdens on the passengers that most (especially those with a temporary disability) would not know about. I expect a volunteer passenger would step up in 99.9% if not 100% of the situations anyway. I’m always happy to help polite people with bags, except when I had a broken shoulder and was the one who needed help!
estnet, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Gate check is free. No reduction in baggage allowance or increased cost.
And your response to #2 is...?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Sykes
It seems like there are plenty of people saying that the Flight Attendant has no responsibility whatsoever in this situation, which is demonstrably false. I agree with you that there is no justification for complaint here--the bag ended up stowed--but those suggesting that any customer with a disability should only consider checking or gate checking a bag rather than requesting reasonable accommodation stowing their carry-on are missing a key obligation that is explicitly written into the DOT's implementation of the ACAA.
Airlines are indeed required to make accomodations for passengers with disabilities. That does not mean it is the FA who has to do it any more than the pilot. If it were me and If I were able to get some overhard bag on board but could not lift it I would look for a suitable fellow passenger to help out. FAs are busy. When I was on crutches and traveled through the airport in a wheelchair, the wheelchair attendant stowed things for me if I could not manage by myself. But I had plenty of offers to help from fellow passengers.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
FAs are too infirm to help disabled passengers lift their bags yet we expect them to lift heavy emergency exit doors and be ready to evacuate a plane in 60 seconds?
Of course not. But that does not mean it is a responsibility of an FA, either.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I actually don’t think a broken collarbone meets the definition of disabled by the ADA - it has to be an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity - and I don’t think the inability to lift heavy bags a major life activity
Good point about what makes for a disability. I also know plenty older people who travel frequently and would have trouble lifting a rollaboard so they check their bags at check-in or the gate. They would not dream of taking it on board and then getting a FA to put it in the overhead.

I am not an expert on this subject, but my understanding is that if you have a disability you need to contact the airline in advance to arrange for accomodation. They will generally arrange a wheelchair person to assist you and from what I have heard they will show up with a wheelchair even if not needed for that assignment!

This is a subject that could only make for discussion on flyertalk....
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VRFast
How did he get the bag from home to the airport, through security, etc, with a broken collar bone? I’m sure that’s very painful even when putting some strain on your arms/upper body.
I assume he dragged it with the arm that's on the other side from the injury. How would you do it?

Lifting something over your head is a totally different ballgame then dragging it behind your when it's on wheels

I agree with others here, not the job of the FAs to place carry on in the over head bin. You brought it, you lift it. Unless there is a helpful fellow pax that offers help. Obviously not talking about someone who has an obvious disability, pre-boarders.
Disabilities need not be permanent. An injury that temporarily prevents you from doing something is a temporary disability
estnet, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by prestonh
that's actually putting it on UA, as a service failure in implementing its stated policy to accommodate a passenger with disability. UA's policy was to have FA's assist in flight. The FA didn't' assist, so it was a failure in policy. I'm not sure where the failure point was. File the complaint to figure it out and hope it gets better for future travelers with disabilities.
This is still false. It only indicates that the FAs may assist. It is not a requirement. The onus is still not on the FA.

The failure point is the lack of communication provided by the OP's son. And now the parent thinking that the FA had to help - which again is false. As well as the OP a putting in a poorly worded provocative thread title.

Go ahead. Assist the OP in filing the complaint.

David
LETTERBOY and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder why the FAs who volunteer to lift bags are also the kindest, most attentive, caring FAs who clearly love their jobs?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Soon we’ll have FAs carrying a tape measure with them and anyone asking for help would have their bag measured. There is a pretty good chance it doesn’t fit the guidelines these days. Bag gets checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.