United Business class ticket pricing

Old Jul 4, 22, 4:12 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 29
United Business class ticket pricing

I am planning a vacation to France next spring. When I compare the same United flights on the United app with the Lufthansa and Expedia apps the Business class fares are $ 400+ more on the United app. Any idea why?
Thanks
adventures_await is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 4:23 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 18,782
Originally Posted by adventures_await
I am planning a vacation to France next spring. When I compare the same United flights on the United app with the Lufthansa and Expedia apps the Business class fares are $ 400+ more on the United app. Any idea why?
Thanks
UA wants more of your money. Period.

David
TPACjv and Markalta like this.
DELee is online now  
Old Jul 4, 22, 4:49 pm
  #3  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.9MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 63,177
Originally Posted by adventures_await
I am planning a vacation to France next spring. When I compare the same United flights on the United app with the Lufthansa and Expedia apps the Business class fares are $ 400+ more on the United app. Any idea why?
Thanks
There could be a number of reason for this

LH and UA have legal joint venture which allows them to unify fares
For each LH/UA TATL flight, inventory is allocated to native flight inventory (flight number code by the operator and codeshare flight numbers coder by the other airline)
Then inventory id split into P, Z, D, C and J -- each progressively more expensive.
As inventory is sold out in each inventory class under native or codeshare inventory prices will effectively increase

WHat you will find is the flights you are comparing are in different inventory class of different flight numbers.

So at times the codeshare (LH or Expedia) of the same flight can be more or less expense then the native flight number (UA, in this case)

This can go either way and as demand switches to the lower fare -- that fare class will sell out or the higher fare will open new lower cost inventory -- but this does not happen instantaneously but eventually will

Just another example of the weird airfare pricing mechanics

One thing (if prices are nearly equal) it is better to purchase for the flight operate, especially given the high probability of changes in the next 9 months. And presently the change policies on UA ticket is much friendlier than LH. And Expedia is very difficult to work with on changes.

Originally Posted by DELee
UA wants more of your money. Period.
Yes but that is not the reason for this

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 4, 22 at 4:54 pm Reason: Expedia
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 4:55 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 18,782
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes but that is not the reason for this
The outcome is the same. The OP has to pay more to fly on a 016 ticket.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Jul 4, 22, 5:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cle
Posts: 546
David--you get what you pay for---if you want options the foreign carrier does not have liberal change policies
trk1 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 6:10 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 29,501
Originally Posted by DELee
The outcome is the same. The OP has to pay more to fly on a 016 ticket.

David
not at all. Google flights will likely return the same fare that Exoefia shows with a link to buy on United.com
SPN Lifer likes this.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 6:54 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 18,782
Originally Posted by trk1
David--you get what you pay for---if you want options the foreign carrier does not have liberal change policies
Agreed. But the OP's post was specifically focused on price and not necessarily "flexibiity".

Originally Posted by cfischer
not at all. Google flights will likely return the same fare that Exoefia shows with a link to buy on United.com
Maybe - the OP indicated that Expedia was higher for UA plated. I'll let the OP respond if GFlights is/was any better pricewise than the UA app.

David
DELee is online now  
Old Jul 4, 22, 9:54 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 29
The same flights were cheaper on google flights than what United app was listing.
adventures_await is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 10:53 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 18,816
Originally Posted by adventures_await
The same flights were cheaper on google flights than what United app was listing.
For clarity, when you say the same flights, do you mean the exact same sequence of flight numbers? Or do you mean, Google found the same physical flights, but using codeshared flights for at least one segment? (i.e., Google found, e.g., LH flight 123, and the United app found flight UA7923 operated by LH flight 123?) It makes a big difference to understanding why this is happening.

If you can give a sample itinerary (dates, cities, and times) when youre seeing this behavior, someone can likely figure out whats happening. Theres not enough to go on yet airfare is extremely complicated.
Kacee and SPN Lifer like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 11:05 pm
  #10  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.9MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 63,177
Originally Posted by DELee
The outcome is the same. The OP has to pay more to fly on a 016 ticket.

David
And other times less, this codeshare inventory price difference can and does work both ways. If UA was always higher there might be a point here but it isn't.

Originally Posted by DELee
Agreed. But the OP's post was specifically focused on price and not necessarily "flexibiity"....
An issue a place like FT can raise as not all are aware there may be differences between carriers
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Artpen100 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 4, 22 at 11:11 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:47 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,823
Originally Posted by DELee
Maybe - the OP indicated that Expedia was higher for UA plated. I'll let the OP respond if GFlights is/was any better pricewise than the UA app.
David
Wanted to confirm you do mean plated and not marketed? Plating on UA ticket stock or LH ticket stock shouldn't matter, as I'm not aware of any JV fares that are filed with ticketing stock restrictions. The fare filings should be the same regardless of whose ticket stock it's on and should be able to issue a specific fare on either ticket stock for the same price. However as has been indicated in earlier posts the fare filings and inventory may be different for the codeshare vs. the native flight (but that is a marketing difference, not a plating difference).

Also another thing to keep in mind is rarely Expedia or google flights could be using stale filings/inventory whereas the UA app should be the most current fares, and if it was tried to book using those channels, it wouldn't go all the way through due the fare no longer being current. (or in the case of Expedia it could be an unpublished fare they're listing for one set of flights, but I believe GF only works with published fares)
Lux Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 8:47 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Posts: 1,563
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And other times less, this codeshare inventory price difference can and does work both ways. If UA was always higher there might be a point here but it isn't.
Exactly. I'm sure it's to do with IT issues and alignment of fare classes, which isn't uniform in one direction. Example: I recently booked an economy class LH flight on the UA codeshare because it was cheaper than booking it on LH flight numbers. Somehow the fare booked into premium economy on LH (speaking to the fact that fare designations aren't perfectly aligned). Then I got an op up into J at the gate (no status on either airline).
wetrat0 is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 10:10 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NOVA
Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Posts: 4,187
Originally Posted by DELee
The outcome is the same. The OP has to pay more to fly on a 016 ticket.

David
On expedia it would be an 016 ticket...
fwfdan is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 10:48 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 18,816
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Exactly. I'm sure it's to do with IT issues and alignment of fare classes, which isn't uniform in one direction. Example: I recently booked an economy class LH flight on the UA codeshare because it was cheaper than booking it on LH flight numbers. Somehow the fare booked into premium economy on LH (speaking to the fact that fare designations aren't perfectly aligned). Then I got an op up into J at the gate (no status on either airline).
There is a precise alignment between UA and LH fare classes. UA O,A,R -> LH G,E,N for PE fares. All economy and business class fares map directly (UA doesnt use G, E, or N on its TATL flights at all).

Was this a particularly expensive ticket? It sounds like perhaps UA had an R seat available while LH didnt have an N seat, and the filed R fare was less expensive than the cheapest available economy seat.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 12:02 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 29


You can see the exact flight queries lists higher prices on the app vs on the United web site.
adventures_await is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread