Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MNL to EWR - $2600 (P fare class) worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:13 am
Original Poster

I am looking to book a one way flight from Manila back to NYC (EWR preferred) on March 19 for my husband and I. I saw that there was one P fare left for $2600 for MNL>NRT (ANA) then NRT>EWR (UA). I pulled the trigger for this flight because I assumed this was a good deal, would you agree? When Japan opens up for tourists, do you expect flight prices to go up or down?

I booked the second flight using miles, which was 180K. This was the last fare left that had the MNL>NRT leg in business class.

Is there a better strategy to get from MNL to NYC using points/miles for two people? I have ~400k UR points and ~400k MP points. My dates are not very flexible unfortunately. I can fly either March 18 or 19.

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Johanna Merluza
I am looking to book a one way flight from Manila back to NYC (EWR preferred) on March 19 for my husband and I. I saw that there was one P fare left for $2600 for MNL>NRT (ANA) then NRT>EWR (UA). I pulled the trigger for this flight because I assumed this was a good deal, would you agree? When Japan opens up for tourists, do you expect flight prices to go up or down?

I booked the second flight using miles, which was 180K. This was the last fare left that had the MNL>NRT leg in business class.

Is there a better strategy to get from MNL to NYC using points/miles for two people? I have ~400k UR points and ~400k MP points. My dates are not very flexible unfortunately. I can fly either March 18 or 19 -- it takes a little longer but for 200k miles you get can both get to NYC for just about the cost of the UA ticket -- and you can use your UA miles!

Thanks!
I think you got a pretty good deal -- I do see that Singapore Airlines has flights in business for $2,800 (and that will be way better than UA). I would expect when tourism reopens in Japan that costs will likely go up -- but it also will depend on the capacity that is added back -- and how quickly.

ETA: I also see 3 J class seats on SQ/NH/UA for 99k miles each if you are willing to route via SIN, then NRT on the 19th. So for 200k miles you can both get to NYC for just a bit more than the UA 180k ticket -- but you do have an extra stop in SIN -- but then again you can enjoy flying SQ!

One tip when searching for mileage redemptions on UA -- make sure you scroll to the bottom and then choose the button to show all flights -- then go back to the top and sort by business (lowest) -- sometimes the best routings / options aren't even shown on the first page of results -- the way UA sorts results initially, is - to say the least -- interesting.... This is how I found the SQ options for less mileage...
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jul 4, 2022 at 3:07 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I think you got a pretty good deal -- I do see that Singapore Airlines has flights in business for $2,800 (and that will be way better than UA). I would expect when tourism reopens in Japan that costs will likely go up -- but it also will depend on the capacity that is added back -- and how quickly.

ETA: I also see 3 J class seats on SQ/NH/UA for 99k miles each if you are willing to route via SIN, then NRT on the 19th. So for 200k miles you can both get to NYC for just a bit more than the UA 180k ticket -- but you do have an extra stop in SIN -- but then again you can enjoy flying SQ!

One tip when searching for mileage redemptions on UA -- make sure you scroll to the bottom and then choose the button to show all flights -- then go back to the top and sort by business (lowest) -- sometimes the best routings / options aren't even shown on the first page of results -- the way UA sorts results initially, is - to say the least -- interesting.... This is how I found the SQ options for less mileage...

I am actually flying JFK>SIN on SQ and staying in Singapore to start my trip off, it'll be my first time flying on SQ . I finally pulled the trigger on this trip when I saw SQ is raising their rates.

I saw those options, but it only shows up when I am booking for one person. Regardless, the goal is also to arrive in NYC on March 19 the latest. We're going to work the next day .

​​​​​​​
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Johanna Merluza
I am actually flying JFK>SIN on SQ and staying in Singapore to start my trip off, it'll be my first time flying on SQ . I finally pulled the trigger on this trip when I saw SQ is raising their rates.

I saw those options, but it only shows up when I am booking for one person. Regardless, the goal is also to arrive in NYC on March 19 the latest. We're going to work the next day .
For me it shows 3 tickets - just checked it again - sometimes UA’s inventory can be a bit old…. Forgot to add -- when I see that there are three tickets showing when you search for one person, but it disappears when you search for multiples -- I've had good luck booking it one at a time -- yes you won't end up on the same PNR -- but it works....

FWIW -- I would burn the miles and just book another UA redemption and save the money -- miles are constantly devaluing and who knows when you could use them again? I show that there is still a full J award for 180k on the 19th....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jul 4, 2022 at 4:09 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I feel like this is the normal price but I haven't flown to/from Asia in a while, and coming out of Covid, probably a lot of movements.

In recent years (pre-Covid), I took advantage of a SQ deal ex-AMD (in India) -> AMD-SIN-EWR (with almost an entire day on the ground in Singapore) for $1.3K (half of the price of OP's one-way). Paired it with miles award on JL using AS miles (65K miles) from the US to India, with stops in Tokyo and Delhi - epic trip!

Also got JFK-SIN roundtrip via FRA on SQ for less than $2.6K ($2.3K if I recall correctly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.