Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
More details on use of ETCs : UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life

More details on use of FFCs : How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

* In mid-2021, UA started a process that seems headed to unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability
* This is still in process but much of this wiki is out-of-date and will need to be rewritten once the dust settles
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* Most FFCs can only be used by original traveller (some older ones have more flexibility)
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight
* However presently there are still reports of issues, inconsistencies

In early 2020, UA changed the 1-year life of tickets and ETCs to 2 years and also change rebooked flights had to "commenced" in the original ticket's life vs the older, but unenforced "complete travel.

1) Canceled ticket credit / future flight credit (FFC) -- this is where the flight is canceled but the ticket is left open. In effect when you use this credit, it is a ticket change.
This change must be made within 1 2 years of the original purchase date. The present COVID-19 waivers state "Rebooked travel must commence within 12 24 months from the original ticket issue date". Previously there is some uncertainty if the new flight needs to be completed in the same 1-year window. In the recent past that was not true but same agents are claiming it is now required. (this may be a factor on how the ticket is changed, a simple change of date is probably limited to the original purchase 1-year window but a more significant change should be a new ticket and a new full-year window.)
The new ticket can be any itinerary that can be booked on United.com (BE tickets have additional restrictions). The online re-booking / change tool is flaky and best to re-book with an agent.
The future flight credit will be listed online as a canceled flight. The new booking has to be in the same name as the previous booking but if the future booking is cheaper (and not originally booked after 2 March 2020) you will receive an ETC for the difference. For tickets purchased after 2 March 2020, there was a no-residual phrase in the fare rules, but an ETC option in place of the FFC was readily available until 1 August 2020. Generally, pre-1 August tickets continue to have the conversion to ETC if you called. Recent reports suggest this conversion may be again available (YMMV) for some post 1 August FFC tickets. Also one recent report the ETC residual practice may be re-instated.
Future flight credit cannot be combined. You need to convert them to ETC if you want to combine more than one FFC for a new ticket.
Note: there is no 24-hour "flexible booking" for new tickets made with flight credit -- although all purchases today have no change fees.
As of 16 April 2020, appears FFC for cancellation 3 March and later, may be convertible to ETCs, check your ticket in Cancelled Flights (if any United payment types were used to book the ticket (an ETC, TravelBank credit, etc.) or purchased with Chase points, the ETC option may not be available)

Multiple reports (in Feb 2021) of FFCs have been extended to 31 March 2022

2) Electronic Ticket Credit (ETC)-- this is where the ticket is converted is a cash value credit and you have 1 2-year from ETC issuance to book a new flight and that future new flight to be completed with-in 1-year of the new booking's date. So up to a total of two three-year window.
You will / should receive a voucher code to use in the future booking (you need to keep track of this but agents can look it up).
The ETC can be used by anyone but is limited to UA/UX operated flights ( a complicated workaround may work to book partner flights).
Fairly simple to use the ETC online and multiple ETCs can be combined if needed -- but the same ETC can not directly be used by multiple passengers on the same PNR.
Note if ETC covers the entire cost of the new flight, you can not use a credit card for the flight purchase and will not receive any of the benefits that come from using a credit card.
Appears for multi-passenger PNRs, ETCs go back to the "first traveler" and not the individual traveler (as FFC). "Note: If there are multiple travelers on a reservation, the total value will be issued in one certificate to the first traveler." Unknown what happens on split PNRs.

(Unverified thought) FFC of tickets purchased 3 March or later do not have residual value, so far as we know, that does not apply to ETCs at all, so ETCs are better than FFC if canceling new ticket purchases starting 3 March 2020 (till at least 30 April).

UA's -- What’s the difference between electronic travel certificates and future flight credit?
Electronic travel certificates are travel credit given to customers from a United employee for situations including denied boarding instances, customer goodwill, a fare difference during an exchange, and for irregular operations. Future flight credits are credit for the same value of your ticket for the original route given to the same customer(s) who has canceled their flight.

Future flight credits are valid for the same amount as the original ticket purchased and can be applied to new flights. They have a lot of flexibility in routes as they can be used for travel on any United, United Express, or partner-operated flights. Future flight credits must be used for travel within 12 months of the date your original ticket was purchased.

Electronic travel certificates also offer a lot of flexibility. You can use them to book a flight for anyone you’d like, and they can be used for travel up to 24 months from the date they’re issued. Electronic travel certificates must be used for United- or United Express-operated flights.

Note the Must rebook by 12 months for FFC is presently overridden by waivers stating
Cancellations: If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked before March 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked between April 1, 2020, and May 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
A process for converting an ETC to Refund if the original situation nows qualifies for a refund
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Please visit united.com/refunds
Select Request Refund
Add all required information
Under purchases > Enter Receipt details
Customer should enter their ticket number in the 'Document Number' field
In details reason for request > "Cancel ETC and refund to original form of payment"
Enter email address
Submit ... .

Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?

​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Anyone tried to apply PointsPlus for LH or NH flight lately?
The link I saved just brings me back the United.com homepage.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kittiyut
Anyone tried to apply PointsPlus for LH or NH flight lately?
The link I saved just brings me back the United.com homepage.
There is a link to an online request form on this page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...Lufthansa.html
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
What happens to flight booked with FFC that is eligible for refund (INVOL)

Sorry if this was covered already - one of my itineraries had a schedule change and it says I have an option to get a refund.
But the itinerary was booked with a combination of several FFCs and cash, and many of the FFCs were the product of other FFCs and ETCs that were used and cancelled.

If I take the refund option, do I actually get a cash refund or will I end up with a bunch of FFCs and/or ETCs?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Sorry if this was covered already - one of my itineraries had a schedule change and it says I have an option to get a refund.
But the itinerary was booked with a combination of several FFCs and cash, and many of the FFCs were the product of other FFCs and ETCs that were used and cancelled.

If I take the refund option, do I actually get a cash refund or will I end up with a bunch of FFCs and/or ETCs?
i don’t know for sure, but the system should tell you how it will be refunded before you confirm the cancelation.

What I can say is that I recently changed a ticket, the one that I posted about upthread a few days ago where I used a canceled flight FFC, residual FFCs and cash to book a flight for 2. The cash portion was ~$30, and I paid that with my card. Within 24 hours, I changed it to a flight that totaled $104 less, so that was due as a refund. It stated the total would be returned to me in a refund. I was actually quite surprised, and am waiting to see what happens, as I didn’t think it was possible to refund more than the charge amount. But both the refund screen and my confirmation confirmed this would be the case.

im still not convinced this is the way it will be, but it’s a bit too soon to tell, as this was only on Friday so i think it’ll probably be end of week at least before I actually see this on the card.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
i don’t know for sure, but the system should tell you how it will be refunded before you confirm the cancelation.
This is the message/warning that appears:

"A billing agent needs to manually process your refund. Once our agent processes your refund, we will confirm the transaction via email. We typically process manual refunds within 10 business days, but please allow up to 30. We appreciate your patience."
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is the message/warning that appears:

"A billing agent needs to manually process your refund. Once our agent processes your refund, we will confirm the transaction via email. We typically process manual refunds within 10 business days, but please allow up to 30. We appreciate your patience."
they tend to do it correctly, but with multiple FFC and ETC and converted stuff ... it is best to call to get the best outcome.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
they tend to do it correctly, but with multiple FFC and ETC and converted stuff ... it is best to call to get the best outcome.
Curious what the "correct" thing is - presumably FFC/ETC for the portion that was paid with FFC/ETC and cash for the rest?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Curious what the "correct" thing is - presumably FFC/ETC for the portion that was paid with FFC/ETC and cash for the rest?
by correct I meant that nothing goes missing. They will usually return to each 'FOP' and combine ... but with multiple FFC ... no idea how they handle that.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Fare drop on my itinerary = $400 in new FFC Even better when I click to use the FFC I get the popup saying it can be used for anyone because it was purchased before 8/31/21.

Question: If I use FFC to buy a new ticket, and then cancel that ticket, do I lose the ability to transfer FFC because new ticket was purchased today (i.e. post 8/31)?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Fare drop on my itinerary = $400 in new FFC Even better when I click to use the FFC I get the popup saying it can be used for anyone because it was purchased before 8/31/21.

Question: If I use FFC to buy a new ticket, and then cancel that ticket, do I lose the ability to transfer FFC because new ticket was purchased today (i.e. post 8/31)?
I can’t say I know the answer for sure, but technically it would be a ‘re-issued’ ticket (that yes, would have a new ticket number, but I’d say not technically a ‘new’ ticket).

If I had to guess either way, I’d guess it would still be based on the original issue date (don’t take my word for it - just a guess). Im basing this on what happens when you typically make a change to a ticket that is then re-issued, and in that case, the 24 hour flexibility does not reset, so you do not have 24 additional hours to get a refund.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:16 pm

Just to confirm... Is there a way to combine FFC with Travel Bank? Looks like one or the other. Thanks!

I see it possible when booking a domestic UA only itinerary, but when there is partners involved, looks like one or the other

Last edited by bgallthat1; Oct 13, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Old Oct 13, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgallthat1
Just to confirm... Is there a way to combine FFC with Travel Bank? Looks like one or the other. Thanks!

I see it possible when booking a domestic UA only itinerary, but when there is partners involved, looks like one or the other
you can combine multiple FFCs for sure, but I’m not sure how you could do both FFC and TravelBank (unless web support can do it by phone). You have to click either the TravelBank or FFC bubble when it asks for payment type, and I don’t know how you’d select both (UA domestic flight or UA/partner international flight).

with the additional flexibility of things added in the last few weeks, it does appear it allows you to use TB (and ETCs, as well) on partner flights, but I haven’t actually gone through with the purchase, just seen the options.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bgallthat1

This is an area were things are rapidly changing. In the past the dual use was not allow and travel bank was only for all UA itins.

Now you say for an all UA you can use together. That is an example of some of the recent changes. ETCs can not be used for partners, which is new.

Expect more changes to come. UA is making these flight credits easier to use and easier to to use multiple together. But it is still a Work in Progress -- Issues using FFCs or ETCs (travel credits) for payment

You can convert the travel bank funds to an FFC if you find any set of flights for the right amount (wait at least > 24 hours). Wait a few days and cancel --- viola, an FFC which can now be used with another FFC.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 13, 2021 at 6:22 pm Reason: "Now", not "not"
Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Travel credits extended until December 31, 2022

Note - Travel credit usage extended and include partner airlines, E+ and pre-paid bags.

(Email received)

When you're ready to plan and book your next trip, your travel credits will be there. We've extended the expiration date for all future flight credits, so you'll have until December 31, 2022, to use them to book and begin travel.
In addition, we're the only airline to let you use your travel credits for extra legroom seats and pre-paid bags at time of checkout. We've also made enhancements to display your travel credit balance at checkout — making them as easy and flexible to use as possible. Some more improvements include:

• Combining multiple future flight credits when booking travel
• Using all types of travel credits to book travel on partner airlines
• Having a one-time opportunity to share future flight credits with a friend or family member for tickets originally purchased on or before August 31, 2021

Visit united.com/travelcredits to learn more about all these changes.

With change fees gone for good for flights within the U.S., and between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean, you'll enjoy even more flexibility every time you fly. You also won't pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S

Last edited by tarheelnj; Oct 13, 2021 at 4:17 pm
Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This was done months ago in Aug 2021
Includes FFCs and ETCs and tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.