Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
More details on use of ETCs : UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life

More details on use of FFCs : How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

* In mid-2021, UA started a process that seems headed to unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability
* This is still in process but much of this wiki is out-of-date and will need to be rewritten once the dust settles
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* Most FFCs can only be used by original traveller (some older ones have more flexibility)
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight
* However presently there are still reports of issues, inconsistencies

In early 2020, UA changed the 1-year life of tickets and ETCs to 2 years and also change rebooked flights had to "commenced" in the original ticket's life vs the older, but unenforced "complete travel.

1) Canceled ticket credit / future flight credit (FFC) -- this is where the flight is canceled but the ticket is left open. In effect when you use this credit, it is a ticket change.
This change must be made within 1 2 years of the original purchase date. The present COVID-19 waivers state "Rebooked travel must commence within 12 24 months from the original ticket issue date". Previously there is some uncertainty if the new flight needs to be completed in the same 1-year window. In the recent past that was not true but same agents are claiming it is now required. (this may be a factor on how the ticket is changed, a simple change of date is probably limited to the original purchase 1-year window but a more significant change should be a new ticket and a new full-year window.)
The new ticket can be any itinerary that can be booked on United.com (BE tickets have additional restrictions). The online re-booking / change tool is flaky and best to re-book with an agent.
The future flight credit will be listed online as a canceled flight. The new booking has to be in the same name as the previous booking but if the future booking is cheaper (and not originally booked after 2 March 2020) you will receive an ETC for the difference. For tickets purchased after 2 March 2020, there was a no-residual phrase in the fare rules, but an ETC option in place of the FFC was readily available until 1 August 2020. Generally, pre-1 August tickets continue to have the conversion to ETC if you called. Recent reports suggest this conversion may be again available (YMMV) for some post 1 August FFC tickets. Also one recent report the ETC residual practice may be re-instated.
Future flight credit cannot be combined. You need to convert them to ETC if you want to combine more than one FFC for a new ticket.
Note: there is no 24-hour "flexible booking" for new tickets made with flight credit -- although all purchases today have no change fees.
As of 16 April 2020, appears FFC for cancellation 3 March and later, may be convertible to ETCs, check your ticket in Cancelled Flights (if any United payment types were used to book the ticket (an ETC, TravelBank credit, etc.) or purchased with Chase points, the ETC option may not be available)

Multiple reports (in Feb 2021) of FFCs have been extended to 31 March 2022

2) Electronic Ticket Credit (ETC)-- this is where the ticket is converted is a cash value credit and you have 1 2-year from ETC issuance to book a new flight and that future new flight to be completed with-in 1-year of the new booking's date. So up to a total of two three-year window.
You will / should receive a voucher code to use in the future booking (you need to keep track of this but agents can look it up).
The ETC can be used by anyone but is limited to UA/UX operated flights ( a complicated workaround may work to book partner flights).
Fairly simple to use the ETC online and multiple ETCs can be combined if needed -- but the same ETC can not directly be used by multiple passengers on the same PNR.
Note if ETC covers the entire cost of the new flight, you can not use a credit card for the flight purchase and will not receive any of the benefits that come from using a credit card.
Appears for multi-passenger PNRs, ETCs go back to the "first traveler" and not the individual traveler (as FFC). "Note: If there are multiple travelers on a reservation, the total value will be issued in one certificate to the first traveler." Unknown what happens on split PNRs.

(Unverified thought) FFC of tickets purchased 3 March or later do not have residual value, so far as we know, that does not apply to ETCs at all, so ETCs are better than FFC if canceling new ticket purchases starting 3 March 2020 (till at least 30 April).

UA's -- What’s the difference between electronic travel certificates and future flight credit?
Electronic travel certificates are travel credit given to customers from a United employee for situations including denied boarding instances, customer goodwill, a fare difference during an exchange, and for irregular operations. Future flight credits are credit for the same value of your ticket for the original route given to the same customer(s) who has canceled their flight.

Future flight credits are valid for the same amount as the original ticket purchased and can be applied to new flights. They have a lot of flexibility in routes as they can be used for travel on any United, United Express, or partner-operated flights. Future flight credits must be used for travel within 12 months of the date your original ticket was purchased.

Electronic travel certificates also offer a lot of flexibility. You can use them to book a flight for anyone you’d like, and they can be used for travel up to 24 months from the date they’re issued. Electronic travel certificates must be used for United- or United Express-operated flights.

Note the Must rebook by 12 months for FFC is presently overridden by waivers stating
Cancellations: If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked before March 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked between April 1, 2020, and May 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
A process for converting an ETC to Refund if the original situation nows qualifies for a refund
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Please visit united.com/refunds
Select Request Refund
Add all required information
Under purchases > Enter Receipt details
Customer should enter their ticket number in the 'Document Number' field
In details reason for request > "Cancel ETC and refund to original form of payment"
Enter email address
Submit ... .

Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?

​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Make one new reservations using several United credits from cancelled reservations

I have had to cancel three upcoming trips I planned on taking on United Airlines due to Covid.

So I have three credits in my United account, each one of the three cancelled reservations with a unique confirmation number.

Can I use these three different cancelled reservations each with unique confirmation numbers to make one new reservation?

Each of the three United credits are worth $154, $198 & $225, so these three United credits total $577.

Can I use these three United credits to make one reservation?

I hope that makes sense.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
So I have three credits in my United account, each one of the three cancelled reservations with a unique confirmation number.

Can I use these three different cancelled reservations each with unique confirmation numbers to make one new reservation?

Each of the three United credits are worth $154, $198 & $225, so these three United credits total $577.

Can I use these three United credits to make one reservation? .....
Yes due to a recent new feature. Assuming these are all in your name.

Start a standard new booking, when you get to payment, select Future Flight Credit
You will need the six-character code for each of the prior bookings
You can add multiple past bookings / FFC

There have been reports that some FFCs are not usable in this option (not clear the limitations yet, suspect partially flown itins might be a problem) but generally works
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Start a standard new booking, when you get to payment, select Future Flight Credit

There have been reports that some FFCs are not usable in this option (not clear the limitations yet, suspect partially flown itins might be a problem) but generally works
Great, thank you WineCountry UA.

I have not used any portion on the three canceled flights, so I hope I do not run into that challenge.

One more quick question, I also have some $$$ in my United TravelBank, any idea if I can use those funds in my United TravelBank and my three United credits to make one new reservation?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by grapegrower
I see now the FFC says travel must commence by 31/12/22 but nothing about booking date deadline.
There is no booking date restriction. You just have to book before you fly.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Great, thank you WineCountry UA.

I have not used any portion on the three canceled flights, so I hope I do not run into that challenge.

One more quick question, I also have some $$$ in my United TravelBank, any idea if I can use those funds in my United TravelBank and my three United credits to make one new reservation?
You can't combine FFC and Travelbank, no. I'd pay attention to expiry date of Travelbank funds - FFCs have all been extended to be valid for departure by 12/31/2022 - Travelbank credit was extended at some point, I think, but I just used funds that expired in March next year. So pay attention if you are worried about timing.

Theoretically, you could make a new reservation, cancel it, then use the new FFC in combination with the other 3. I'm not sure if you'd need to wait 24 hours to cancel the new reservation though - I haven't tried to cancel one so quickly recently. In the past, you could choose if it went back to original payment method, or to keep as an FFC, now I'm not sure.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... One more quick question, I also have some $$$ in my United TravelBank, any idea if I can use those funds in my United TravelBank and my three United credits to make one new reservation?
Presently it one or the other but not both, But UA has been making these multiple sources if funding easy to combine so may be.

You could use the Travel Bank funds to purchase a ticket, wait a couple of days (get out of the 24-hour cancel window) and then cancel. UA would then issue you a FFC which could be used with the other FFCs. Or wait for a future booking and use just the TravelBank funds.

Note ETCs are considered a third type of funding that is not yet combinable with FFC or TravelBank
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by jsloan
That's the key. What's happened is that UA has put some logic into its system where if the current set of flights is the sane as the most recent set of flights, the old fare is reused.

It's 100% intentional by UA, in an attempt to keep people from changing to a lower fare on the same flight for credit. I remember pmCO working the same way. Whereas I frequently am willing to give their IT the benefit of the doubt, this particular case is quite clear.
Some hotel websites use the same logic (pretty sure Hyatt is one). If I go to change a reservation there after a posted rate decrease, the room type that I'm in will show the same rate that I booked, but all the other room types would show the current lower pricing.

So like the new UA process, I either do the two-step change process there, or just cancel/rebook.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

I thought you couldn't combine FFCs unless they were "residuals".

From website:

Can I use multiple future flight credits?
If you received your future flight credit from canceling a flight, you’ll only be able to use one per purchase.

If you received a future flight credit from changing to a less expensive flight, you can use multiple credits in one purchase. In this case, the credits will be combined and will adopt the earliest travel-by date.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by econ
I thought you couldn't combine FFCs unless they were "residuals".
You can now, recent new functionality
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:14 pm

Has anyone had a residual FFC show up late? I changed a flight this morning to save $10 and my FFC under my account still hasn't reflected it. I got an email regarding the $10 FFC after making the change, but doesn't show up on my account currently and in the past it used to show up right away.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by quietthunder
Has anyone had a residual FFC show up late? I changed a flight this morning to save $10 and my FFC under my account still hasn't reflected it. I got an email regarding the $10 FFC after making the change, but doesn't show up on my account currently and in the past it used to show up right away.
Happened to me last week. When I enquired about it, the amount ($70) was credited to me credit card.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Happened to me last week. When I enquired about it, the amount ($70) was credited to me credit card.
Thank you for the feedback. I'll wait to see if a credit shows up on my credit card by next week before I reach out to United about it.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I got a bunch of them back instantly over the weekend after re-booking most of my upcoming flights that have dropped in price.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I previously booked using multiple FFCs, and got a new FFC with the same PNR as my new flight. I was unable to use the credit on united.com. I just canceled that flight and now have multiple FFCs with the same PNR. I am still unable to use the credit. I hope they can fix this over the phone, but has anyone else run into this issue?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Where is it supposed to show up? As a past trip itinerary? I do not see any record of a FFC that I was told by email I had.

Last edited by blueman2; Sep 11, 2021 at 8:45 pm
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I previously booked using multiple FFCs, and got a new FFC with the same PNR as my new flight. I was unable to use the credit on united.com. I just canceled that flight and now have multiple FFCs with the same PNR. I am still unable to use the credit. I hope they can fix this over the phone, but has anyone else run into this issue?
I had trouble booking a flight yesterday with any FFCs. Got some sort of pop-up message when trying to apply them on the purchase page about needing to start the booking over.

Several days ago, I was able to use them with no issue, including when the PNR had multiple FFCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.