Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
More details on use of ETCs : UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life

More details on use of FFCs : How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

* In mid-2021, UA started a process that seems headed to unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability
* This is still in process but much of this wiki is out-of-date and will need to be rewritten once the dust settles
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* Most FFCs can only be used by original traveller (some older ones have more flexibility)
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight
* However presently there are still reports of issues, inconsistencies

In early 2020, UA changed the 1-year life of tickets and ETCs to 2 years and also change rebooked flights had to "commenced" in the original ticket's life vs the older, but unenforced "complete travel.

1) Canceled ticket credit / future flight credit (FFC) -- this is where the flight is canceled but the ticket is left open. In effect when you use this credit, it is a ticket change.
This change must be made within 1 2 years of the original purchase date. The present COVID-19 waivers state "Rebooked travel must commence within 12 24 months from the original ticket issue date". Previously there is some uncertainty if the new flight needs to be completed in the same 1-year window. In the recent past that was not true but same agents are claiming it is now required. (this may be a factor on how the ticket is changed, a simple change of date is probably limited to the original purchase 1-year window but a more significant change should be a new ticket and a new full-year window.)
The new ticket can be any itinerary that can be booked on United.com (BE tickets have additional restrictions). The online re-booking / change tool is flaky and best to re-book with an agent.
The future flight credit will be listed online as a canceled flight. The new booking has to be in the same name as the previous booking but if the future booking is cheaper (and not originally booked after 2 March 2020) you will receive an ETC for the difference. For tickets purchased after 2 March 2020, there was a no-residual phrase in the fare rules, but an ETC option in place of the FFC was readily available until 1 August 2020. Generally, pre-1 August tickets continue to have the conversion to ETC if you called. Recent reports suggest this conversion may be again available (YMMV) for some post 1 August FFC tickets. Also one recent report the ETC residual practice may be re-instated.
Future flight credit cannot be combined. You need to convert them to ETC if you want to combine more than one FFC for a new ticket.
Note: there is no 24-hour "flexible booking" for new tickets made with flight credit -- although all purchases today have no change fees.
As of 16 April 2020, appears FFC for cancellation 3 March and later, may be convertible to ETCs, check your ticket in Cancelled Flights (if any United payment types were used to book the ticket (an ETC, TravelBank credit, etc.) or purchased with Chase points, the ETC option may not be available)

Multiple reports (in Feb 2021) of FFCs have been extended to 31 March 2022

2) Electronic Ticket Credit (ETC)-- this is where the ticket is converted is a cash value credit and you have 1 2-year from ETC issuance to book a new flight and that future new flight to be completed with-in 1-year of the new booking's date. So up to a total of two three-year window.
You will / should receive a voucher code to use in the future booking (you need to keep track of this but agents can look it up).
The ETC can be used by anyone but is limited to UA/UX operated flights ( a complicated workaround may work to book partner flights).
Fairly simple to use the ETC online and multiple ETCs can be combined if needed -- but the same ETC can not directly be used by multiple passengers on the same PNR.
Note if ETC covers the entire cost of the new flight, you can not use a credit card for the flight purchase and will not receive any of the benefits that come from using a credit card.
Appears for multi-passenger PNRs, ETCs go back to the "first traveler" and not the individual traveler (as FFC). "Note: If there are multiple travelers on a reservation, the total value will be issued in one certificate to the first traveler." Unknown what happens on split PNRs.

(Unverified thought) FFC of tickets purchased 3 March or later do not have residual value, so far as we know, that does not apply to ETCs at all, so ETCs are better than FFC if canceling new ticket purchases starting 3 March 2020 (till at least 30 April).

UA's -- What’s the difference between electronic travel certificates and future flight credit?
Electronic travel certificates are travel credit given to customers from a United employee for situations including denied boarding instances, customer goodwill, a fare difference during an exchange, and for irregular operations. Future flight credits are credit for the same value of your ticket for the original route given to the same customer(s) who has canceled their flight.

Future flight credits are valid for the same amount as the original ticket purchased and can be applied to new flights. They have a lot of flexibility in routes as they can be used for travel on any United, United Express, or partner-operated flights. Future flight credits must be used for travel within 12 months of the date your original ticket was purchased.

Electronic travel certificates also offer a lot of flexibility. You can use them to book a flight for anyone you’d like, and they can be used for travel up to 24 months from the date they’re issued. Electronic travel certificates must be used for United- or United Express-operated flights.

Note the Must rebook by 12 months for FFC is presently overridden by waivers stating
Cancellations: If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked before March 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked between April 1, 2020, and May 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
A process for converting an ETC to Refund if the original situation nows qualifies for a refund
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Please visit united.com/refunds
Select Request Refund
Add all required information
Under purchases > Enter Receipt details
Customer should enter their ticket number in the 'Document Number' field
In details reason for request > "Cancel ETC and refund to original form of payment"
Enter email address
Submit ... .

Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?

​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you have Future Flight Credit but would prefer ETC, it may be possible to convert from FFC to ETC. Go to your Cancelled flights and see if ETC is not an option -- UA had been hinting this was coming and it is now available (for some cancelled flights)

Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Go to your Cancelled flights and see if ETC is not an option -- UA had been hinting this was coming and it is now available (for some cancelled flights)
Is this new? It wasn't there yesterday, and I even had to call to use the FCC since united.com just kept reporting unknown errors.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Is this new? ...
Yes, UA had stated this would eventually be available (First stated on 4th or 5th of April). Showed up immediately
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:31 pm

I actually spotted the new feature to convert yesterday when i was researching flights. I was having trouble getting the FFC to work for what i wanted, so i converted my FFC to an ETC and that worked perfectly. It took about 5 mins for the email to show up.

Have not had a chance to rebook my trip yet, but plan to do that this weekend.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Brostman
Cut-off for electing my option of FFC or ETC...... I obviously have not been paying attention very closely. I have a RT ORD-LHR for late May, which over the weekend was changed to a new non-stop route that UA is showing running starting May 3 or 4 (scheduled times are within the new 6 hour window policy). My intent was to wait it out to as close to departure date to see if UA blinked first and cancelled the flight, otherwise elect either FFC or ETC depending what looked most advantageous for my specific circumstances. But from what I am reading here, I will have to do the voluntary cancellation by April 30 if I want the option of FFC or ETC to be chosen at my discretion. My original ticket purchase date was Dec '19..........Do I undertand this correctly?
I think I found the answer to my question.... since my ticket was purchased before Mar 2, 2020... and since my original flights were to occur before May 31, 2020.... my cut-off for a voluntary cancellation is the actual flight date.... whereas if the original flight dates occurred June 1 or later, than the cut-off for no change fees, etc is April 30th. I think this is correct, but anyone think differently. Sorry for any confusion I might be causing.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brostman
I think I found the answer to my question.... since my ticket was purchased before Mar 2, 2020... and since my original flights were to occur before May 31, 2020.... my cut-off for a voluntary cancellation is the actual flight date.... whereas if the original flight dates occurred June 1 or later, than the cut-off for no change fees, etc is April 30th. I think this is correct, but anyone think differently. Sorry for any confusion I might be causing.
That is correct, although I suspect UA may extend one or both of the cutoff dates you mention.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Just got an email from Chase that UA has extended their cancellation to all flights departing through December 31, 2020.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr
Just got an email from Chase that UA has extended their cancellation to all flights departing through December 31, 2020.
Old news. You still have to cancel by April 30. I'm hoping to have more time to make a decision about SFO-LHR RT in July. Here is the email.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Ye
UA posted this on 7 April. And it requires you do this prior to end of April. It is cancel for any reason, no fees and you get 2-year Future Flight Credit (from date of orignal purchase) or (in many cases) 2-year ETC (from date of cancellations) -- However, not for refunds. This can be done online. Flights booked with ETCs can not be cancelled for ETCs online.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:53 am

As a person who doesn't fly UA often, these different types of vouchers are super confusing.

After reading through the this thread, I think I understand the differences between what ETCs and FFCs can be used on, but I'm still confused about the dates these can be used.

I booked an international trip on 9/15/19. I canceled the trip on 3/22/20. They gave me a FFC at the time. From my understanding, if I wish to use the FFC I need to travel by September of this year?

Considering how short that window is, I'm considering changing to an ETC, even though that would restrict my ability to fly on partner metal. That would allow me to make a booking up to two years from now, correct?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
I booked an international trip on 9/15/19. I canceled the trip on 3/22/20. They gave me a FFC at the time. From my understanding, if I wish to use the FFC I need to travel by September of this year?
They have extended FFC issued under that waiver to two years from the date of issue, not just one. So, you'd have to travel by 9/15/2021.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
They have extended FFC issued under that waiver to two years from the date of issue, not just one. So, you'd have to travel by 9/15/2021.
That's good to hear, I'll have more time to use it.

However, I'm playing with rebooking options, and the United website keeps adding a $200 change fee to the fare total. I thought they were waiving change fees?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
However, I'm playing with rebooking options, and the United website keeps adding a $200 change fee to the fare total. I thought they were waiving change fees?
They are, but the online change tool doesn't always work well. You'll need to call.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:42 am

Thank you for this article. One thing I noticed after poking around though:

I had an international flight planned for May which I canceled last week. I opted for the FFC.

Today, I decided to take a look at what my balance was just to be sure. You can find the FFC information by going to your "Trip Details" page and going to the "Canceled" tab.

One option I noticed after going to my canceled flight and viewing my balance was "Convert to travel certificate", which just brings me to a page that explains the benefits of ETC along with a short form to submit.

So it seems like if you opt for FFC at first, you will still have the option to convert to ETC if you so choose. Might be an important advantage of FFC to keep in mind.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:38 pm

Welcome to FT!, RadicalLarry
Originally Posted by RadicalLarry
One option I noticed after going to my canceled flight and viewing my balance was "Convert to travel certificate", which just brings me to a page that explains the benefits of ETC along with a short form to submit.

So it seems like if you opt for FFC at first, you will still have the option to convert to ETC if you so choose. Might be an important advantage of FFC to keep in mind.
Yes in most cases that is true (a few corner cases may exist)

You may find the summary in the thread's wiki / top post that covers some additional pros/cons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.