Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
More details on use of ETCs : UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life

More details on use of FFCs : How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

* In mid-2021, UA started a process that seems headed to unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability
* This is still in process but much of this wiki is out-of-date and will need to be rewritten once the dust settles
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* Most FFCs can only be used by original traveller (some older ones have more flexibility)
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight
* However presently there are still reports of issues, inconsistencies

In early 2020, UA changed the 1-year life of tickets and ETCs to 2 years and also change rebooked flights had to "commenced" in the original ticket's life vs the older, but unenforced "complete travel.

1) Canceled ticket credit / future flight credit (FFC) -- this is where the flight is canceled but the ticket is left open. In effect when you use this credit, it is a ticket change.
This change must be made within 1 2 years of the original purchase date. The present COVID-19 waivers state "Rebooked travel must commence within 12 24 months from the original ticket issue date". Previously there is some uncertainty if the new flight needs to be completed in the same 1-year window. In the recent past that was not true but same agents are claiming it is now required. (this may be a factor on how the ticket is changed, a simple change of date is probably limited to the original purchase 1-year window but a more significant change should be a new ticket and a new full-year window.)
The new ticket can be any itinerary that can be booked on United.com (BE tickets have additional restrictions). The online re-booking / change tool is flaky and best to re-book with an agent.
The future flight credit will be listed online as a canceled flight. The new booking has to be in the same name as the previous booking but if the future booking is cheaper (and not originally booked after 2 March 2020) you will receive an ETC for the difference. For tickets purchased after 2 March 2020, there was a no-residual phrase in the fare rules, but an ETC option in place of the FFC was readily available until 1 August 2020. Generally, pre-1 August tickets continue to have the conversion to ETC if you called. Recent reports suggest this conversion may be again available (YMMV) for some post 1 August FFC tickets. Also one recent report the ETC residual practice may be re-instated.
Future flight credit cannot be combined. You need to convert them to ETC if you want to combine more than one FFC for a new ticket.
Note: there is no 24-hour "flexible booking" for new tickets made with flight credit -- although all purchases today have no change fees.
As of 16 April 2020, appears FFC for cancellation 3 March and later, may be convertible to ETCs, check your ticket in Cancelled Flights (if any United payment types were used to book the ticket (an ETC, TravelBank credit, etc.) or purchased with Chase points, the ETC option may not be available)

Multiple reports (in Feb 2021) of FFCs have been extended to 31 March 2022

2) Electronic Ticket Credit (ETC)-- this is where the ticket is converted is a cash value credit and you have 1 2-year from ETC issuance to book a new flight and that future new flight to be completed with-in 1-year of the new booking's date. So up to a total of two three-year window.
You will / should receive a voucher code to use in the future booking (you need to keep track of this but agents can look it up).
The ETC can be used by anyone but is limited to UA/UX operated flights ( a complicated workaround may work to book partner flights).
Fairly simple to use the ETC online and multiple ETCs can be combined if needed -- but the same ETC can not directly be used by multiple passengers on the same PNR.
Note if ETC covers the entire cost of the new flight, you can not use a credit card for the flight purchase and will not receive any of the benefits that come from using a credit card.
Appears for multi-passenger PNRs, ETCs go back to the "first traveler" and not the individual traveler (as FFC). "Note: If there are multiple travelers on a reservation, the total value will be issued in one certificate to the first traveler." Unknown what happens on split PNRs.

(Unverified thought) FFC of tickets purchased 3 March or later do not have residual value, so far as we know, that does not apply to ETCs at all, so ETCs are better than FFC if canceling new ticket purchases starting 3 March 2020 (till at least 30 April).

UA's -- What’s the difference between electronic travel certificates and future flight credit?
Electronic travel certificates are travel credit given to customers from a United employee for situations including denied boarding instances, customer goodwill, a fare difference during an exchange, and for irregular operations. Future flight credits are credit for the same value of your ticket for the original route given to the same customer(s) who has canceled their flight.

Future flight credits are valid for the same amount as the original ticket purchased and can be applied to new flights. They have a lot of flexibility in routes as they can be used for travel on any United, United Express, or partner-operated flights. Future flight credits must be used for travel within 12 months of the date your original ticket was purchased.

Electronic travel certificates also offer a lot of flexibility. You can use them to book a flight for anyone you’d like, and they can be used for travel up to 24 months from the date they’re issued. Electronic travel certificates must be used for United- or United Express-operated flights.

Note the Must rebook by 12 months for FFC is presently overridden by waivers stating
Cancellations: If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked before March 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked between April 1, 2020, and May 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
A process for converting an ETC to Refund if the original situation nows qualifies for a refund
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Please visit united.com/refunds
Select Request Refund
Add all required information
Under purchases > Enter Receipt details
Customer should enter their ticket number in the 'Document Number' field
In details reason for request > "Cancel ETC and refund to original form of payment"
Enter email address
Submit ... .

Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?

​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
What's the latest on paid upgrades? I was stupid enough to do the online upgrade instead of calling and upfaring, so the upgrade cost is not part of the fare. UA changed itin from direct to 1-stop and schedule changed by 4-5hrs. I am ok with future credit or ETC, but how do I get the upgrade fee included?
I waited until last minute for more cancellations. Final itinerary is 5 hours and 51 minutes earlier than original (how lucky am I). I called and I said I just wanted to get and ETC for the fare+upgrade. Agent first said, he can't put upgrade on ETC, he'll just refund it. After 15min on hold he came back saying he can't refund it, he'll put the fare and upgrade on separate ETCs. Another 15min on hold and I got the ETC for the upgrade before the agent came back on the line, but did not get the other one for the fare. Agent says he has no idea when I'll get the other and he didn't seem to care much either. Can't say I'm super impressed...
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
... Another 15min on hold and I got the ETC for the upgrade before the agent came back on the line, but did not get the other one for the fare. Agent says he has no idea when I'll get the other ...
There are reports / speculation that some fare refunds are getting a second level of review delaying them.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So if I have a ticket that I booked before Mar 2 for travel in Nov and I want to rebook on a ticket for travel next year. I gather that I should cancel first and then convert to ETC and then rebook. What if the new ticket costs less? Sounds like I won't be able to use my CC benefits which is ok but would I lose out on the value of the difference?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer
So if I have a ticket that I booked before Mar 2 for travel in Nov and I want to rebook on a ticket for travel next year. I gather that I should cancel first and then convert to ETC and then rebook. What if the new ticket costs less? Sounds like I won't be able to use my CC benefits which is ok but would I lose out on the value of the difference?
ETCs have residual value if partially used, so no loss if not fully used on the first ticket.

(Unverified thought) FFC of tickets purchased 3 March or later do not have residual value, so far as we know, that does not apply to ETCs at all, so ETCs are better than FFC if canceling new ticket purchases starting 3 March 2020 (till at least 30 April).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 12, 2020 at 11:52 pm Reason: rephrased
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
ETCs have residual value if partially used, so no loss if not fully used on the first ticket.

Thanks. Just curious why you consider FFC is a better option than ETC as ETC gives you 3 years instead of 2 years window? Is it because of ability to fly partner metal? (assuming booked < Mar 3 and solo traveler)
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:37 am

.... Just curious why you consider FFC is a better option than ETC ....
Generally I would not
.... Is it because of ability to fly partner metal? ....
That is an advantage of FFC. Another is when the ETC is more than the rebooked flight, there is no opportunity to used a credit card and get the card benefits.
Also, if eventually you want to push a refund, many believe you are in a better position with FFF than ETC -- YMMV

But in most cases, I would take the ETC.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
There are reports / speculation that some fare refunds are getting a second level of review delaying them.
I get that for a cash refund, but even for an ETC?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:55 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Presently that is just for international tickets.

For more on ETC vs FFC, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32246313-post970.html and
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32247334-post979.html
I have a couple of non-refundable business class tickets SFO-LHR in July. It's probably not a good idea for us to make the trip, as we would be visiting my father-in-law, who is in his 90s. The tickets were issued September 9. If we cancel and take the FFC, would we be able to get a refund if we could not use it by September 2020? Would the new 24 month policy delay that until September 2021? Regardless of the answer, where is this documented?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:11 am

Last November I paid for a June/July roundtrip FRA-CPT Business/First on Lufthansa on the United website. Do I have to deal with United or Lufthansa, or either one, as to ETCs or refunds? If either, which would be best?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lexdevil
The tickets were issued September 9. If we cancel and take the FFC, would we be able to get a refund if we could not use it by September 2020? Would the new 24 month policy delay that until September 2021? Regardless of the answer, where is this documented?
No. Voluntary changes to nonrefundable tickets do not make them refundable, even after 24 months. You may be able to get an ETC instead, which would extend the possible travel horizon further -- an ETC issued on April 30, 2020 can be used by April 30, 2022, for travel through ~March 31, 2023.

If you want a refund, your only hope is to wait and hope that a schedule change affects your itinerary to the point where it's a significant delay (UA currently considers this to be 6 hours; the DOT hasn't ruled on whether or not that's good enough), noting that you may lose the right to make a free change if UA doesn't extend their waiver.

Originally Posted by dubsman
Last November I paid for a June/July roundtrip FRA-CPT Business/First on Lufthansa on the United website. Do I have to deal with United or Lufthansa, or either one, as to ETCs or refunds? If either, which would be best?
United.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
No. Voluntary changes to nonrefundable tickets do not make them refundable, even after 24 months. You may be able to get an ETC instead, which would extend the possible travel horizon further -- an ETC issued on April 30, 2020 can be used by April 30, 2022, for travel through ~March 31, 2023.

If you want a refund, your only hope is to wait and hope that a schedule change affects your itinerary to the point where it's a significant delay (UA currently considers this to be 6 hours; the DOT hasn't ruled on whether or not that's good enough), noting that you may lose the right to make a free change if UA doesn't extend their waiver.
Thanks. That's what I thought the situation was. It's why I was confused by the statement indicating that international tickets were being treated differently.

This is the post that made me wonder about a refund. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32252996-post2.html
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:41 am

I have a couple of non-refundable business class tickets SFO-LHR in July. It's probably not a good idea for us to make the trip, as we would be visiting my father-in-law, who is in his 90s. The tickets were issued September 9. If we cancel and take the FFC, would we be able to get a refund if we could not use it by September 2020? Would the new 24 month policy delay that until September 2021? Regardless of the answer, where is this documented?

Thanks in advance for your help.
What would your grounds for a refund? (funds returned to the original payment methods). ETC is not a refund per se but rather a cash credit voucher with 24 month life.

You should be able to request an ETC at the time of cancellation (if done before 30 April). If you take the ETC, your ability to request a refund (if you have a valid reason -- generally a voluntary cancellation is not one) is YMMV.

You may be able to convert FFC (Future light Credit -- a cancelled { for any reason} ticket) to ETC on request --UA has mentioned this will be available

The auto conversion of FFC to ETC for international travel is no longer listed. But the refund policy for involuntary cancellations (or 6 hours reschedule) seems to be most consistent followed now.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. That's what I thought the situation was. It's why I was confused by the statement indicating that international tickets were being treated differently.
For a time, UA was refusing to refund international tickets, even if the flight wasn't operating. They were forcing people to accept future flight credit, which would turn into a refund if it wasn't used before it expired.

However, AFAIK, that never applied to voluntary cancellations.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
For a time, UA was refusing to refund international tickets, even if the flight wasn't operating. They were forcing people to accept future flight credit, which would turn into a refund if it wasn't used before it expired.

However, AFAIK, that never applied to voluntary cancellations.
Got it. Sounds like everything is as I expected; I was just confused by the out of context refund comment. Thanks!

I expect I'll end up canceling and taking the ETC. Given that I bought the original tickets back in September, I'll really need the additional time! I'll hold out until closer to the end of the month to pull the trigger, just in case there are additional waivers.

What would your grounds for a refund? (funds returned to the original payment methods). ETC is not a refund per se but rather a cash credit voucher with 24 month life.

You should be able to request an ETC at the time of cancellation (if done before 30 April). If you take the ETC, your ability to request a refund (if you have a valid reason -- generally a voluntary cancellation is not one) is YMMV.

You may be able to convert FFC (Future light Credit -- a cancelled { for any reason} ticket) to ETC on request --UA has mentioned this will be available

The auto conversion of FFC to ETC for international travel is no longer listed. But the refund policy for involuntary cancellations (or 6 hours reschedule) seems to be most consistent followed now.
Thanks. It sounds like what I expected. Given that I purchased the tickets in September, I think ETC is the only way to go. Even if we get 24 months from ticket issue with FFC, that means we really only have summer of 2021 to use the credit.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2020 at 4:16 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:34 pm

I canceled our May trip to Hawaii, originally ticketed in Oct 2019 That resulted in FFC of $1100, The Oct dates i am looking at for the same trip are now approx, $808. Seem like if I book this i should end up with an ETC for the difference.

Just out of curiosity what happens if we can not travel in Oct, I assume i would get a new FFC. Will the expiration date be based on my original ticket date or will i get a expiration date on the date of the new ticket?

I usually travel a lot more and never worried much about expiration dates in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.