Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SAN-LAX Gone after October 29?!? Back to 2 flights a day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond

Due to a recent schedule change, my December SAN-LAX-JFK itin was rerouted through SFO. Not a big deal, because it arrives at about the same time as the original flight. I was curious as to why, and when I dug a little deeper, it appears that all SAN-LAX flights have been removed from the schedule after October 29. Can this really be the case? If so, this is a major blow to UA FFs in San Diego. My go to flights have been the last ones of the night ex-JFK or EWR to LAX. Any earlier, and I can't get to them in time from work; and yes, I'm aware there are nonstops, but I try to avoid them because there are no lie-flats.

I really hope this is not a permanent change.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
EF Timetable shows UA5854, 6:30 AM remains, 7 days a week, E7W, into 2023
EF Availability not showing for any flight ??
But UA has availability until 29 Oct and then none

??? UA in the process of a change

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 1, 2022 at 10:16 pm Reason: conflicting data
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by as219
Due to a recent schedule change, my December SAN-LAX-JFK itin was rerouted through SFO. Not a big deal, because it arrives at about the same time as the original flight. I was curious as to why, and when I dug a little deeper, it appears that all SAN-LAX flights have been removed from the schedule after October 29. Can this really be the case? If so, this is a major blow to UA FFs in San Diego. My go to flights have been the last ones of the night ex-JFK or EWR to LAX. Any earlier, and I can't get to them in time from work; and yes, I'm aware there are nonstops, but I try to avoid them because there are no lie-flats.

I really hope this is not a permanent change.
It's Friday. UA's messing around. Give them a day or so before there's an interim FT verdict.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Right now, it's only one frequency anyways: late night LAX-SAN and early morning SAN-LAX. No other flights throughout the day, whereas there used to be several.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K
I love that route.
Low altitude, flying just offshore, what a view.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The overall loss of SAN-LAX flying is pretty interesting too. A little over a decade ago, there was probably in the ballpark of 30-40 flights a day between SAN-LAX across UA and AA regionals, including OO service to CLD. Granted, virtually all of these flights were on 30-seat turboprops, but looking at schedules today, in most cases there are about 4 flights a day on 76-seaters for UA/DL. That's it.

Where has the market gone? Were those flights populated mostly by connecting pax who are now flowing over other hubs, or using nonstop options out of SAN? By my count, its around a 75% loss of daily seats. A regional pilot shortage is absolutely a factor today, but these flights have been on the decline for years, so there has to be more to it.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: A few here and there
My guess would be that there are now a lot more destinations served out of San vs 10-20 years ago. San has seen massive growth
jamiel, SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Forget SAN-LAX for the views! I really miss CLD!
SPN Lifer, EmailKid and COSPILOT like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I wonder when the runway extension will actually happen so jets can return. Would be great for UA to return to CLD!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
The overall loss of SAN-LAX flying is pretty interesting too. A little over a decade ago, there was probably in the ballpark of 30-40 flights a day between SAN-LAX across UA and AA regionals, including OO service to CLD. Granted, virtually all of these flights were on 30-seat turboprops, but looking at schedules today, in most cases there are about 4 flights a day on 76-seaters for UA/DL. That's it.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
I wonder when the runway extension will actually happen so jets can return. Would be great for UA to return to CLD!
My sister and her family have lived in Carlsbad (CLD) as their mailing address (La Costa) since 1995, and it was certainly more convenient to fly straight there in 1998 than drive all the way up from SAN.

Turning more directly to the thread topic, it would be interesting to know whether the UA passenger count at SAN has increased or decreased, both absolutely and percentage-wise.

I would suspect that SAN has far more non-stops than 30 years ago. I wonder also if other carriers, such as WN and AS, have increased market share.

I have a USNA classmate who is a DL pilot out of LAX and who lives in San Marcos. As pointed out, the overall LAX-SAN reduction has generally affected AA, DL & UA.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jul 2, 2022 at 10:12 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The one time I flew LAX-SAN (back in early 2020), the announced flight time was 18 minutes. Had I not been so hung over, it definitely would have been the most tolerable flight of any on the Devil's Chariot that I have taken!
higher_flyer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Back in the old days when 100,000 miles meant 1k and spend was not part of the game. I would always take Sfo-lax-San as the bonus miles and 500 mile segments over time really added up. Oh the good old days.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
My one and only flight was a Sunset Flight
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:56 pm

I seem to recall LAX to SNA route. Not sure if it was UA.

And also Glasgow to Limerick. 30 mins on a 747. Once I was alone. (It went forward to Boston.)
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by EmailKid
My one and only flight was a Sunset Flight
That should’ve been real nice if you were seated on the Left side facing front! CLD - LAX and right visa versa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.