Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

is it possible to check in a large oversized box on an international flight?

Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold

I'm trying to check in a large box on an intl' flight. approx 70 "x 24 "x 12 " around 35 lbs. Is this simply too big to check into an aircraft on any airline? I cant find any info anywhere on non-luggage check ins.

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Anything is checked by a passenger is under the check bag rules, there are no separate package rules.
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
So you look OK

There will be a fee depending on the trip and it has to be consider sturdier enough to be checked

Some UX aircraft may have an issue.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I would agree with WineCountryUSA that United has a limit of 115 combined inches - length + width + height. American Airlines has allows a total of 126. Seems like you're OK by weight. I think your box would be called a "Special Item" along with musical instruments and sports equipment. Not sure what the cost would be though!
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I would agree with WineCountryUSA that United has a limit of 115 combined inches - length + width + height. American Airlines has allows a total of 126. Seems like you're OK by weight. I think your box would be called a "Special Item" along with musical instruments and sports equipment. Not sure what the cost would be though!
Actually, it will depend on the content of the box to determine whether special waivers or apply. If it's just a giant box of clothes, it's consider one of your luggage, and standard baggage allowance/fees apply.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Actually, it will depend on the content of the box to determine whether special waivers or apply. If it's just a giant box of clothes, it's consider one of your luggage, and standard baggage allowance/fees apply.
pretty sure the only special waivers still in play are medical equipment and active military
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, SWA A-List
I've checked bags on United flights that are right at the oversize size and weight limits with no difficulty, You will, of course, need to pay the associated fees, which can be quite high. If I remember from a few years ago, it was at least $200 per bag. You might want to see if FedEx is cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.