Proactive Customer Care Email - Ominous

Old Jul 1, 22, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, National Executive
Proactive Customer Care Email - Ominous

I received an email this morning from Customer Care offering a choice of compensation for my flight to LHR tonight. The flight shows as on time and nothing has changed with my reservation. Is UA sending these emails in advance in case something happens? It feels ominous. Anyone else get one for an upcoming flight?
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Which flight would be very useful to know for providing any guidance.
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1P (1k ain't what it used to be)
Not sure where you're origin is, Maybe related to this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cancelled.html ?
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL View Post
I received an email this morning from Customer Care offering a choice of compensation for my flight to LHR tonight. The flight shows as on time and nothing has changed with my reservation. Is UA sending these emails in advance in case something happens? It feels ominous. Anyone else get one for an upcoming flight?
Is it offering you the opportunity to take another flight - i.e., because it's overbooked?

One of last night's flights EWR-LHR was delayed over 2 hours for mechanical issues. Maybe there's a glitch and you got the email for that.
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Since the OPs location says Chicago, I'm guessing that the flight is ORD-LHR

Based strictly on the seat map (I know...) 958 at 4:30 is showing as almost full
the 2 later flights at 6:45 and 9:05 seem to have more availability.

I'm guessing that this was a proactive offer to change to one of those later flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by milepig; Jul 1, 22 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, National Executive
I'm on the 9:05 PM flight ORD-LHR. It's not offering a change. It's an email usually sent after something happens offering compensation. We're checked in (in paid J) with seats and the flight status shows it on time. Here is the email:

Hello,

I’ve always found that when things go wrong, it’s best to start with a simple apology. I’m sorry for the recent experience you had with us on your flight to London, GB (LHR - Heathrow).

I know it can be frustrating when things don’t go as planned. In an effort to make this right, I’d like to invite you to visit the following link to our United Cares page.

https://united.com/unitedcares

This site will be available for the next 90 days. To make this as easy as possible, please have your flight details available. If you were traveling with any friends or family on your flight, let them know they’re welcome to visit the site too.

Thanks for flying with us, and I hope you’ll give us the opportunity to welcome you onboard again soon.

With apologies,

Bryan Stoller
Vice President, Customer Care
onthesam likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:32 am

Was there a recent flight on the same route (like, yesterday?) that had issues? Maybe someone fat-fingered a date.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.03MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Hold on to that email. In case there is a problem, it could be used as evidence that United had foreknowledge about it (or in a world of conspiracy theories, caused it).
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Pyrite
I want you to follow the link and see what it says!
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Heathrow airport operations chaos : last minute cancellations

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61857008
The UK's largest airport asked airlines to cut the flights because it was expecting more passenger numbers than it can currently cope with.
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
I don't get the point of this thread unless OP already clicked on the URL link from the email and was actually offered something.

We all know UA IT sucks. They clearly accidentally sent you the email since you haven't even traveled to LHR yet. If you click the link and enter your details it will likely come back to you and tell you, "Oops, sorry. You're not eligible for anything." If you do get an offer of sorts then take it and move on - but that's just UA's crappy IT.

-RM
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have seen it before, but it is rare. Take the extra ETC ... some you win some you don't
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:45 pm

I'm on the 9:05 PM flight ORD-LHR. It's not offering a change. It's an email usually sent after something happens offering compensation. We're checked in (in paid J) with seats and the flight status shows it on time. Here is the email:

Hello,

I’ve always found that when things go wrong, it’s best to start with a simple apology. I’m sorry for the recent experience you had with us on your flight to London, GB (LHR - Heathrow).

I know it can be frustrating when things don’t go as planned. In an effort to make this right, I’d like to invite you to visit the following link to our United Cares page.

https://united.com/unitedcares

This site will be available for the next 90 days. To make this as easy as possible, please have your flight details available. If you were traveling with any friends or family on your flight, let them know they’re welcome to visit the site too.

Thanks for flying with us, and I hope you’ll give us the opportunity to welcome you onboard again soon.

With apologies,

Bryan Stoller
Vice President, Customer Care
The 6/30 UA938 ORD LHR diverted to EWR. Looks like they were trying to activate the United Cares compensation shell for passengers on that flight but accidentally input the 7/1 departure (probably from someone not paying attention to the proper departure date). My guess is they deactivated the United Cares shell for your flight when they realized their mistake but couldn't stop the email from going out (or realized the mistake after the emails were already sent). But if you tried entering anything in and your flight wasn't currently active as needing flight wide compensation United Cares won't offer anything.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Not that I would actually do this, but after OP takes the flight, I wonder if the refund will still be available due to the IT glitch.

We have US-AU MPA trip coming up and there have been several schedule changes since we booked 6 months ago. When I made a change online because .bomb changed us to an undesirable pair of flights home, it refunded us all of the miles. Thankfully the next change, 2 weeks later, UA priced it as 800k miles (200x each way for 2 people) and the ticket is properly paid for.

Trust me, I would have loved a free RT in J to AU, but preferred to not have any problems WHEN (not if) UA realized they made a mistake, including possibly our seats being given away.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by phkc070408; Jul 1, 22 at 5:22 pm
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
Not that I would actually do this, but after OP takes the flight, I wonder if the refund will still be available due to the IT glitch.

We have US-AU MPA trip coming up and there have been several schedule changes since we booked 6 months ago. When I made a change online because .bomb changed us to an undesirable pair of flights home, it refunded us all of the miles. Thankfully the next change, 2 weeks later, UA priced it as 800k miles (200x each way for 2 people) and the ticket is properly paid for.

Trust me, I would have loved a free RT in J to AU, but preferred to not have any problems WHEN (not if) UA realized they made a mistake, including possibly our seats being given away.
as long as you have a ticket you are safe. The US DOT guarantees is for you. If UA messes up they will need to fix it at no cost to you

Search this Thread