Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extensive dog barking in UA domestic F-class on a 4 hrs flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extensive dog barking in UA domestic F-class on a 4 hrs flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by denver19
Is it just me in Hawaii that can't bring a pet? The two times I travelled to the mainland w/ animals I took Alaska so I could bring a small animal onboard. I thought UAL told me that they didn't allow it, but again, maybe that is only between Hawaii and the mainland. So people are flying around with their pets at their feet? I did not know that.
UA allows it, but you must have your paperwork in order and upon deplaning at HNL the pets are turned over to the quarantine office while they check the paperwork. If all goes well, you pick them up from the office, if not the pet must quarantine or get sent back to the continent.

Last edited by evol; Jul 4, 2022 at 3:54 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
What does this have to do with the class of service?? This behaviour is disruptive to all passengers on the flight
this. Class doesn’t really have anything to do with it except some think F class, because it costs more, is somehow above things like noise in the cabin. It’s not. Especially when we are talking domestic F.

Originally Posted by Artpen100
I may be the only one, but crying infants (which is different from misbehaved children) don't bother me much, ever since I had kids of my own. It invokes empathy in me. Though I admit I do travel with earbuds. In any event, I think kids have as much right to ride in the pointy end with their parents as anyone. And I hate to mention it, but I am thinking of dropping some PPs on the reservation of a family member with a lap infant next weekend - not just to get them into F, but because I am concerned about IRROPS these days and want them to get better treatment if anything goes wrong. So bring your earbuds.
youre not the only one. Or let me put it this way - crying infants do kind of bother me, but having two young kids I completely understand - I hold no judgement as long as the parent/guardian is actually being a parent and trying to calm/soothe vs. ignoring it. Honestly, it’s the DYKWIA adults who act like children that bother me - they bother me a lot more than actual kids who…surprise…act like kids.
DJ_Iceman and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by denver19
Is it just me in Hawaii that can't bring a pet? The two times I travelled to the mainland w/ animals I took Alaska so I could bring a small animal onboard. I thought UAL told me that they didn't allow it, but again, maybe that is only between Hawaii and the mainland. So people are flying around with their pets at their feet? I did not know that.
That is true for certain aircraft, in particular, the lie-flat cabins as floor storage/pet carriers are not allowed.
Wooglin likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is true for certain aircraft, in particular, the lie-flat cabins as floor storage/pet carriers are not allowed.
Unless something has recently changed even small dogs are not allowed (IN CABIN) on ANY flight to the Islands UNLESS there are actually Support Animals NOT ESA's. They are VERY strict about it (at least at SFO). All papers must be in order even if you are traveling with a certified support animal. I take my animal back and forth the Islands regularly and since the change with UA, I want to say just pre pandemic, I now fly AS when I travel with my dog. Even with support animals there are many hoops you must jump through which I won't go into on the thread but if people are interested they can contact me directly as I have gotten pretty good at transporting animals in and out of Hawaii over the years.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Unless something has recently changed even small dogs are not allowed (IN CABIN) on ANY flight to the Islands UNLESS there are actually Support Animals NOT ESA's. ...
Yep, UA is quite clear
Pets can’t be in-cabin on flights to, from or through Hawaii and these international locations, but they are allowed in-cabin on select United flights.
Appears UA has decided not to deal with the Hawaii pet arrival process. The lay-flat seats issue would limit opportunities also.

Appears Pets Safe (cargo) is still not available.
United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets (PetSafe)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2022 at 11:47 am Reason: pet safe
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appears UA has decided not to deal with the Hawaii pet arrival process. The lay-flat seats issue would limit opportunities also.

Appears Pets Safe (cargo) is still not available.
United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets (PetSafe)
That is what I was told, I guess some people abused the system and tried to basically elude the arrival inspection and fees that are involved. In theory you could arrive in HNL (or other islands) and basically bolt but you risk really a big fine and basically getting sent back to the main land with your animal immediately. I don't get it but I guess some have apparently tried it and HI Dept of AG in part blames the carrier for not controlling the pax with the dog. On AS (and other airlines) I am virtually always meet literally at the jetway or gate by some kind of agent that walks me to the pet inspection area.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies!

Originally Posted by nomad420
Of course, from the OP it is unclear when the barking began. Had my dog start barking throughout the boarding process I would deplaned.
As I boarded late I did notice some barking, but did not expect it to get as bad as it did upon departing.
I will definitely deplane next time facing a similar situation - lesson learned.

Originally Posted by TravelStar
File a complaint with DOT about Service Animals:
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
Good Luck!
I am unsure if there was some fault on UAs side, so I probably will leave as it is.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since the dog was under the seat (I assume in a container but I'm not sure the OP says this), I would assume that the dog was not flying as a service animal but was a pet. Of course, if the dog wasn't in a container, then it must/should have been a (trained) service animal. IIRC UA has cracked down on emotional support animals on flights.
It was in some kind of container/bag, producing high pitch barks reminding me of crying infants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.