Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extensive dog barking in UA domestic F-class on a 4 hrs flight

Extensive dog barking in UA domestic F-class on a 4 hrs flight

Old Jul 1, 22, 12:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
But what could the FA do at this point?

How? They are mid flight already.

Do what though? As you say something is wrong with the poor animal....
Barking is sign of stress, some attempt to calm the animal would have been appropriate -- exactly what depends on the animal. While the passenger may have wanted to pretend nothing was happening, the FAs. at a minimum, should have been encouraging the passenger to attempt to calm the situation.
seanp7 and Wooglin like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 1, 22 at 11:36 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It's ruff being a UA frequent flyer.

David
Old Jul 1, 22, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold, NE Gold
What does this have to do with class of service ?

Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Recently, a lady on a 4hrs20' flight had that dog under her seat in the row behind me. She was in 3B on a B739. That animal barked loudly like every 2 minutes thru the entire flight to the very visible annoyance of all F pax!!! Wondering about strategies to prevent such an ordeal in the future.
What does this have to do with the class of service?? This behaviour is disruptive to all passengers on the flight
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
What does this have to do with the class of service?? This behaviour is disruptive to all passengers on the flight
F pax are more important and matter more.
ContinentalFan and RichieMc like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite, UA Plat
Airplane cabins should be for people and legitimate service animals. I feel bad for the OP
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
....some attempt to clam the animal would have been appropriate..... ....the passenger to attempt to clam the situation....
You just brought me back to my Pacific Northwest childhood. Is that you Ivar Haglund? Keep Clam.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Paella747 View Post
You just brought me back to my Pacific Northwest childhood. Is that you Ivar Haglund? Keep Clam.
Aw, shucks.

David
SPN Lifer and Paella747 like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:50 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
....Wondering about strategies to prevent such an ordeal in the future.....
File a complaint with DOT about Service Animals:
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
Good Luck!
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravelStar View Post
File a complaint with DOT about Service Animals:
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
Good Luck!
Since the dog was under the seat (I assume in a container but I'm not sure the OP says this), I would assume that the dog was not flying as a service animal but was a pet. Of course, if the dog wasn't in a container, then it must/should have been a (trained) service animal. IIRC UA has cracked down on emotional support animals on flights.
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold
I may be the only one, but crying infants (which is different from misbehaved children) don't bother me much, ever since I had kids of my own. It invokes empathy in me. Though I admit I do travel with earbuds. In any event, I think kids have as much right to ride in the pointy end with their parents as anyone. And I hate to mention it, but I am thinking of dropping some PPs on the reservation of a family member with a lap infant next weekend - not just to get them into F, but because I am concerned about IRROPS these days and want them to get better treatment if anything goes wrong. So bring your earbuds.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman, uanj and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:09 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Recently, a lady on a 4hrs20' flight had that dog under her seat in the row behind me. She was in 3B on a B739. That animal barked loudly like every 2 minutes thru the entire flight to the very visible annoyance of all F pax!!!
I failed to realize initially how bad this will be, otherwise would have gotten off this flight.
I have never ever come across anything like that in over 35 years and some 5+ millions miles of flying - on any flight/any carrier.

Wondering about strategies to prevent such an ordeal in the future.
It seems you answered your own question. We all have bad luck occasionally.
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ani90 View Post
How? They are mid flight already.
Of course, from the OP it is unclear when the barking began. Had my dog start barking throughout the boarding process I would deplaned. As I stated it is unusual for my dog and I would check to see if the animal is OK.
SPN Lifer, seanp7 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 3, 22, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Now can we do something about the "businessmen" in F barking loudly into their phones during boarding and/or until takeoff?

I want to enjoy my plastic cup beverage, not hear about your quarterly results and how Jim in accounting is doing.
Old Jul 3, 22, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Now can we do something about the "businessmen" in F barking loudly into their phones during boarding and/or until takeoff?

I want to enjoy my plastic cup beverage, not hear about your quarterly results and how Jim in accounting is doing.
Jim is in sales. You're thinking of Kevin.
Old Jul 4, 22, 1:59 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Is it just me in Hawaii that can't bring a pet? The two times I travelled to the mainland w/ animals I took Alaska so I could bring a small animal onboard. I thought UAL told me that they didn't allow it, but again, maybe that is only between Hawaii and the mainland. So people are flying around with their pets at their feet? I did not know that.

Search this Thread