Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extensive dog barking in UA domestic F-class on a 4 hrs flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Recently, a lady on a 4hrs20' flight had that dog under her seat in the row behind me. She was in 3B on a B739. That animal barked loudly like every 2 minutes thru the entire flight to the very visible annoyance of all F pax!!!
I failed to realize initially how bad this will be, otherwise would have gotten off this flight.
I have never ever come across anything like that in over 35 years and some 5+ millions miles of flying - on any flight/any carrier.

Wondering about strategies to prevent such an ordeal in the future.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
... Wondering about strategies to prevent such an ordeal in the future.
Was it barking before departure, I would have raised the issue with the FA.
Even inflight, looking irritated isn't enough, press the FA to address the passenger.

One of the many reason for a good noise canceling headset (and earplugs can be added)
uanj, JBa, Wooglin and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

I'm not sure much can be done except get off the plane. One of the reasons I dread being near a baby.
hurnik, Yoshi212, 36902BRF and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm not sure much can be done except get off the plane. One of the reasons I dread being near a baby.
Pet in cabin are held to different standard than a baby. Any behavior by a pet that's deemed to cause a significant disruption to cabin service isn't allowed to fly per the pet in cabin rules and should be raised to attention of FA or customer service. Technically if a customer service rep (and I presume by extension a FA) observes a pet in cabin behaving poorly (such as continually barking as OP experienced), they're supposed to confirm with the customer the pet is ok to fly, and if the pet continues to have poor behavior, refuse to allow it to fly and help owner make alternative arrangements for when they're pet can be better behaved. Now whether or not a CSR/FA is gonna take the initiative to address it on their own if no one complains about it, thats a different story, and it of course would need to be handled before the flight departs, so does nothing if the pet begins acting up once airborne.
SPN Lifer, uanj, cfischer and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Iʻm laughing out loud. Yea, I think the baby/toddler is way worse than an underseat dog. Undeseat > Emo Support Animal: any size dog seated on the floor or in the lap of the person next to me is the actual pits. Thank goodness the rules are being reigned in on this. Although last JFK-LAX flight i had there were FOUR support dogs in one J cabin, all very well behaved albeit.

re toddler: One of my most recent trips, i crapped out at #2 on the list and low and behold who is my seat mate but this little guy, all smiles and flinging cheerios from his bulkhead playpen and pawing me with his sticky hands.

Excessive dog barking anywhere is terrible, and anything like that on a plane get amplified and can be really unnerving.

https://liveandletsfly.com/delta-air-lines-dog-barking/ A different side to a similar story..

Last edited by evol; Jun 30, 2022 at 4:38 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Recently, a lady on a 4hrs20' flight had that dog under her seat in the row behind me. She was in 3B on a B739. That animal barked loudly like every 2 minutes thru the entire flight to the very visible annoyance of all F pax!!!
I failed to realize initially how bad this will be, otherwise would have gotten off this flight.
I have never ever come across anything like that in over 35 years and some 5+ millions miles of flying - on any flight/any carrier.

I am sorry you were submitted to that, that gives pet owners a bad name. It is already getting more difficult to fly with pets so I don't like to hear these kinds of reports as I regularly travel with my dog. The pet owner should have deplaned with the animal, I would have. If my dog barks in her travel case then I know something is wrong. She virtually never barks on flights. FA's often comment on how well behaved she is and some don't even relize I have a dog until I leave the flight upon landing. I think that since she has flown since she was a puppy she knows the game and by now realizes that we often end up somewhere that she typically loves to be at. Well that is my animal 2 cent psychology anyhow ....LOL
SPN Lifer, uanj, lamphs and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

Tell Mrs. cesco.g to leave the family pooch home next time😜
planes&trains likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:15 pm

I'd be worried about the dog feeling stress. Some animals can't cope with such large amounts of stress and is bad for their health.
I have sensitivity to noise on planes and other people's actions so can completely understand how uncomfortable it must have been.
The only thing I can say is that you expressed 35 years of flying and 5 million miles, and this being the only time, so it's most likely this is an incredibly rare occurrence and not likely to bother you again.
The other commentators advice sounds great - I would agree with always having noise cancelling headphones.
Deckter likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2022 at 8:18 pm Reason: REmoved OT topic
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The passenger should have brought the carrier up from under the seat and tried to calm her pet, and at least checked to make sure they were ok - but if I had to choose between a barking dog and a screaming baby, give me the dog any day.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I think my dog has barked once in 50+ flights - because a toddler ran down the aisle stomping and screaming (of course) and it freaked him out.

If a dog is barking every 2 mins reliably, something is wrong. Shame on the owner. F or Y; it doesn’t matter - do something.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
I think my dog has barked once in 50+ flights - because a toddler ran down the aisle stomping and screaming (of course) and it freaked him out.

If a dog is barking every 2 mins reliably, something is wrong. Shame on the owner. F or Y; it doesn’t matter - do something.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
What the heck can you do other than ordering a scotch for him
The toddler or the dog? Or both?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by fumje
The toddler or the dog? Or both?
​​​​​​​
thought he meant the adult.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This thread is going off into multiple directions, the OP asked for advice about a barking dog, let's try address that query and not get in crying babies or bothersome children or other unrelated topics that have had plenty of their own threads.
Thanks

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The dog in question (and its owner) should be banned from flying until they can prove they can both be civilzed.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Even inflight, looking irritated isn't enough, press the FA to address the passenger.
But what could the FA do at this point?

Originally Posted by nomad420
The pet owner should have deplaned with the animal, I would have.
How? They are mid flight already.

Originally Posted by seanp7

Do what though? As you say something is wrong with the poor animal....
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by ani90; Jul 1, 2022 at 12:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.