Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Change flight for 1 pax on a 2 pax booking

Change flight for 1 pax on a 2 pax booking

Old Jun 30, 22, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Question Change flight for 1 pax on a 2 pax booking

Hello, any strategy advice how to approach a potential UA return flight change for only 1 passenger on a 2 passenger booking with 1 confirmation number? The W fare class ticket is fully refundable until departure.
I'm UA Gold traveling w 1K spouse on Plus Points upgrade from NYC to SIN.
If tickets are booked separately, then upgrade on outbound will probably be more difficult as a UA Gold

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 22, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patricknewyork View Post
Hello, any strategy advice how to approach a potential UA return flight change for only 1 passenger on a 2 passenger booking with 1 confirmation number? The W fare class ticket is fully refundable until departure.
I'm UA Gold traveling w 1K spouse on Plus Points upgrade from NYC to SIN.
If tickets are booked separately, then upgrade on outbound will probably be more difficult as a UA Gold

Thanks!
Split the reservation after booking, when you determine that a change is necessary. It'll happen automatically, actually -- if you go in and try to change just one passenger, it'll split off a new PNR at that point.
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by patricknewyork View Post
... If tickets are booked separately, then upgrade on outbound will probably be more difficult as a UA Gold ....
And if you change your return (after taking the outbound), the same will happen for the return
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Keep in mind you may not (probably won't?) keep any confirmed PlusPoint upgrade when you switch returns. I also don't know if United fixed the "feature" where a split PNR keeps/kept the status from the original PNR.

You might want to book both of you on the flight your spouse ultimately wants to fly, then once her UG is confirmed, switch yourself to the flight you want, and then you'll be on the UG list as a 1K. (Not sure what the order of flights is.)
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
Keep in mind you may not (probably won't?) keep any confirmed PlusPoint upgrade when you switch returns. I also don't know if United fixed the "feature" where a split PNR keeps/kept the status from the original PNR.
I thought this was the case, but I recently had to do this with my partner when a work trip meant I would not be able to make my original outbound.

We split the PNR, which under the above assumption meant he should have retained my 1K status on his ticket. However, for the return flight, I rebooked as a one-way, and cleared at the T-96 mark for a CPU, whereas his reservation did NOT get the same upgrade, and states he's entitled to a CPU as a PREMIER GOLD. So obviously he did not retain the 1K status under which I booked the original ticket.
Old Jun 30, 22, 6:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
... I also don't know if United fixed the "feature" where a split PNR keeps/kept the status from the original PNR. ,,,,
Most reports suggest this is fixed in most cases
Old Sep 28, 22, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
I can confirm that this was the case for me as well. I did not keep the 1K status of my travel partner for purposes of an upgrade when the reservation was split.

Search this Thread