Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can’t check in online - chances of upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

I do not have elite status, requested an upgrade using miles and copay and am on the waitlist. I fly out tomorrow IAD - EWR- CPT. I cannot check in online (flying with an infant, need to show paperwork etc). Does this lower my chances of getting upgraded?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Not really. More important criteria will kick in first - status, fare class. Most upgrades are decided by these two discriminators. Not even sure if check-in time is a criteria anymore. You should be able to see your place on the waitlist now (w/o checking in) under flight status to estimate chances.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Unfortunately EWR-CPT tomorrow (29 June) is already full in Polaris. It's certainly possible some passengers will not make the flight, but without status and 23 on the waitlist for an upgrade, your odds of clearing are next to none. You can find more info here: https://www.united.com/en/us/flights...-29/EWR/CPT/UA
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not really. More important criteria will kick in first - status, fare class. Most upgrades are decided by these two discriminators. Not even sure if check-in time is a criteria anymore. You should be able to see your place on the waitlist now (w/o checking in) under flight status to estimate chances.
I ran a test on check-in time. My wife’s ticket was bought before mine. I checked in myself first and it did not change the order of upgrade waitlist; that is, she was still ahead of me. Status and fare class were identical.
bmwe92fan and IAH-OIL-TRASH like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I ran a test on check-in time. My wife’s ticket was bought before mine. I checked in myself first and it did not change the order of upgrade waitlist; that is, she was still ahead of me. Status and fare class were identical.
That's just UA preserving your marriage....
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAD_CPT_Traveler
I do not have elite status, requested an upgrade using miles and copay and am on the waitlist. I fly out tomorrow IAD - EWR- CPT. I cannot check in online (flying with an infant, need to show paperwork etc). Does this lower my chances of getting upgraded?
There are two waillist. The pre-gate list is used until a couple hours prior to departure, it does not matter if you are checked in.

The waitlist used at the gate has check-in time as the 5th? factor and is not used until after check-in is closed, so a delayed check-in will likely have no or very little impact on order.

So for both cases, delayed check-in is not a big deal (but it could make a difference for the last upgrade.

However, as the others have mentioned, the chance of upgrade on that flight for a non-elite is very unlikely unfortunately.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you all! Mentally preparing for my middle row, middle seat in Economy. Finger's crossed my 10 month old actually fits in and uses the bassinet. I hope I won't regret requesting the bassinet and losing out on my isle seat I had initially selected. Either way, I am sure I will be learning many travel lessons in the next 24 hours!

Thank you, and yes, I am nearly halfway down the list. Better to know now than to get to the airpot with false hope.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 2022 at 9:05 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.