Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH/LX flights showing up on Google Flights but not ua.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G

Hi, I've been looking at some transatlantic itineraries from flights.google.com that have LH and LX flights (e.g. ZNY–ZRH/FRA–MRS) on LH or LX the whole way. I can click on the "buy with United" and the flights are there on the united.com payment page though not with UA codes. When I search united.com — it will only give me the legs ZNY–ZRH/FRA legs on UA metal. Any reason to avoid these flights as I would rather fly LX/LH? Also, would these flights be covered under the UA flexible booking policy if purchased from united.com even if they don't have UA codes??

Thank you thank you!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Frequently LX and LH will not allow you to ticket on UA (016 stock) if there are no UA (metal not codeshare) flights - and they also do not share all of their inventory with UA - so you can frequently only buy the flights from them….

The flight numbers you see are the UA codeshares for the native flights - don’t worry about….
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LosFeliz
Hi, I've been looking at some transatlantic itineraries from flights.google.com that have LH and LX flights (e.g. ZNY–ZRH/FRA–MRS) on LH or LX the whole way. I can click on the "buy with United" and the flights are there on the united.com payment page though not with UA codes. When I search united.com — it will only give me the legs ZNY–ZRH/FRA legs on UA metal. Any reason to avoid these flights as I would rather fly LX/LH? Also, would these flights be covered under the UA flexible booking policy if purchased from united.com even if they don't have UA codes??
Booking the ticket through UA can cause some complications, but IMO it's generally worth it these days because you do get the benefit of UA's flexible booking policy, which is far more generous than either LH or LX's.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
The flight numbers you see are the UA codeshares for the native flights
The OP said thay do not have United flight numbers.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The OP said thay do not have United flight numbers.
No - OP said they weren't the native LH/LX united flight numbers when they clicked pay with UA -- OP couldn't even find the flights trying from .bomb - at least that's how I read it...
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
OP said they weren't the native LH/LX united flight numbers when they clicked pay with UA.
When searching on Google Flights, (bold added)
I can click on the "buy with United" and the flights are there on the united.com payment page though not with UA codes.
bmwe92fan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When searching on Google Flights, (bold added)
Ok - got it backwards! It's rare (IME) that UA would allow a ticket to be purchased without a single UA flight number on it -- even a codeshare! I used to use the old award ticket routine to force this because it was so hard....
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
This is not unusual; even bookable and wholly UA itinerary sometimes not show up from searching directly on UA.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no UA flight number is indeed unusual these days. OP, can you post a screenshot? Would be nice if this was possible again
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
1. No reason to avoid these flights.
2. Any ticket purchased on United.com has their flex booking policy regardless of who operates the flights.

Now having said that, do you have ANY UA flights on the itinerary you're trying to purchase? I don't think UA will ticket it if you don't. So you may be getting to the payment page but once you click "purchase" you will get an error because UA will reject it. Otherwise, if it does ticket then you have 24 hours to cancel without penalty. Might be worth trying to see if it will even ticket?

-RM
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I don't think UA will ticket it if you don't. So you may be getting to the payment page but once you click "purchase" you will get an error because UA will reject it. Otherwise, if it does ticket then you have 24 hours to cancel without penalty. Might be worth trying to see if it will even ticket?
If UA can price it, they can (and will) sell it. I’ve bought flights on United.com with no UA segments — in fact, in markets UA didn’t serve, they used to be commonly available before UA decided to ditch them.

Although you may sometimes get an error on ticketing, that’s not because United.com cares about the flight numbers; it’s more likely because they were unable to revalidate available inventory.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jsloan
If UA can price it, they can (and will) sell it. I’ve bought flights on United.com with no UA segments — in fact, in markets UA didn’t serve, they used to be commonly available before UA decided to ditch them.

Although you may sometimes get an error on ticketing, that’s not because United.com cares about the flight numbers; it’s more likely because they were unable to revalidate available inventory.
OK. I'm sure UA did this in the past (I've been successful) but I remember reading several posts on these forums starting probably a few years ago that United did away with this. They will no longer ticket an itinerary that doesn't include UA flights and some agents won't even ticket if UA isn't the "major" carrier. Maybe those are anecdotal stories and users just got bad agents but there were enough reports to believe that UA will not ticket an itinerary without UA flights on it. (Search is failing me at the moment to find these).

-RM
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan

Yep. I've bought quite a few of these no UA itineraries via googleflights over the years, including last year during the $14xx *A business class fare sale - SFO-ZRH/BCN-ZRH-SFO all on LX. "UA won't sell an itinerary without a UA segment" is a myth.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 27, 2022 at 8:18 am
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I had this problem on a recent business to VLC where I wanted to route RDU - EWR - ZRH - VLC (best chance of a PE ---> J upgrade which ended up coming through at the gate so was a good call).

I could not get it to show up on Concur or UA.com but my AMEX GBT travel agent was able to ticket it on UA/LX flight numbers and 016 ticket stock without issue
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
OK. I'm sure UA did this in the past (I've been successful) but I remember reading several posts on these forums starting probably a few years ago that United did away with this. They will no longer ticket an itinerary that doesn't include UA flights and some agents won't even ticket if UA isn't the "major" carrier. Maybe those are anecdotal stories and users just got bad agents but there were enough reports to believe that UA will not ticket an itinerary without UA flights on it. (Search is failing me at the moment to find these).

-RM
United agents often will refuse. United.com, on the other hand, doesn’t know any better. (To be clear: this is entirely a policy decision that’s been communicated to the agents. They could ticket them; they’ve been told not to).
Kacee and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.