Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oz to Canada via the US. United or Air Canada in Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oz to Canada via the US. United or Air Canada in Biz

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
My recommendation would be NZ J > AC J >>> UA J if you want minimal connections, almost any Asian carrier if non-stop is not important..
Back when UA still had International F Class, I preferred AC J class over UA F.
AC J is much better than UA J.
UA's seniority system means you get surly, disinterested, power-tripping, senior-citizen crews on these long haul flights.
Call buttons are resented, and therefore ignored, on UA.
And any empty seats in the J cabin will be filled by upgrades..
stevendorechester likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
AC J is much better than UA J...
No its not. Maybe 10 years ago, but now the Polaris seat is much better (and thats assuming AC's seat even stays inflated thru the flight)
The food is on par if not worse.
And then there is everything else that comes with flying AC - grumpy disinterested flight attendants, the lack of a functional website/phone line to deal with schedule changes/IRROPS, to the <50% on time performance, and lack of recovery when ineveitably stranded,

Originally Posted by diburning
I flew AC transpac last week. The food was about the same as what United appears to be serving in the mentioned thread above.
I would still go for AC with a long layover in YVR though, as the Signature Suite lounge more than makes up for it.
As already stated, no Signature Suite on arrival in YVR.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by diburning
I would still go for AC with a long layover in YVR though, as the Signature Suite lounge more than makes up for it.
Again, OP is asking about the return portion of the itinerary (SYD-YVR-YYZ), and there is no SS access on that itinerary.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Maybe 10 years ago, but now the Polaris seat is much better (and thats assuming AC's seat even stays inflated thru the flight)
Many of us prefer the pre-Polaris seats to the Polaris seats.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
either seat I prefer to AC's seat. Especially there are always two of us on every flight.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you took a poll, I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority would prefer the Polaris seat, especially over the Diamond in UA's too-tight configuration.

I do find it amusing that some cite AC's FAs as an advantage over UA . . . while it's been a while since I've flown AC, my experience has been you're even more likely to run into a petty tyrant on AC. Extreme recent example on AC866:
Air Canada Admits British Passengers Were Rounded Up and Hauled Off Flight By Armed Police in Toronto by MISTAKE
tcdtcd and ghsbass0406 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
If the OP is starting with YYZ>AKL in 2023, why not YYZ-IAH-AKL on NZ? That would be a no-brainer to me vs. longer routing via YVR and catch the polaris lounge in IAH. I see it in matrix. J service on NZ is basically at Asian carrier standards IMO.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What you will get is comments about today's situation. The only thing certain about March 2023 is it is more likely to be different from today than the same. Better or worse, who knows.

UA's 773 seat for business is probably one of the best available today -- just a note about business seating, it is designed for the single traveler, not couples. That is true for UA and most other carriers. The middle two seats on odd rows for the UA 773, is favored by couple for that aircraft.

The food on UA is not best among carriers, plenty will comment on that.

The crews for most carriers are hit or miss. The Asian carriers tend to have more service orienated crews

A key point, is the aircraft shown today is subject to change, as is the scheduled times, in varying degrees depending on the carrier.
It's not just in business class. UA's economy food is terrible! It's about as bad if not worse than AA. DL is definitely the best of the US3 either in economy or business.

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you took a poll, I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority would prefer the Polaris seat, especially over the Diamond in UA's too-tight configuration.

I do find it amusing that some cite AC's FAs as an advantage over UA . . . while it's been a while since I've flown AC, my experience has been you're even more likely to run into a petty tyrant on AC. Extreme recent example on AC866:
Air Canada Admits British Passengers Were Rounded Up and Hauled Off Flight By Armed Police in Toronto by MISTAKE
I've had terrible experiences with AC's FAs myself. I found that they're not very attentive, but my experience is limited to flying TPAC with them and in economy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 26, 2022 at 10:47 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by prestonh
J service on NZ is basically at Asian carrier standards IMO.
That's debatable as well. I don't find NZ close to NH, BR, SQ level, but better than AC/UA.

But regardless of what routing OP chooses, it's a 14h+ flight, I would pick based on schedule and bed comfort and maybe even IFE . At the end, how much food or service will the passenger really experience. If food is really important, then pick AC ex-YVR to dine at Signature Suite. If service is important, pick a NZ flight. OP also never mentioned any considerations for status earning mileage program which may have an influence as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.