Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding/Seating Chaos - Summer 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding/Seating Chaos - Summer 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by prestonh
First time flying in/out of MCO? /s
There were a lot of under 2s over 5' tall or had beards.

We hold our national meeting in April in MCO every year. I always have to psyche myself up before entering for the hell that is dealing with that airport during spring break .
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by CPS89
There were a lot of under 2s over 5' tall or had beards.

We hold our national meeting in April in MCO every year. I always have to psyche myself up before entering for the hell that is dealing with that airport during spring break .
Well I did a near monthly commute to/ from there for nearly a decade. I know all what you speak of
CPS89 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
I ended up writing to UA 1K desk but assume nothing will happen. All of my recent gate agents at IAD genuinely have no idea what’s going on, no idea how to communicate with customers, no idea how to properly board and flag delays.

Are GA’s aware they can update the system of a boarding delay which will:
- Allow people in the lounge/terminal to stay put
- Reduce gate crowding
- Reduce angry passenger sentiment as they are actually know what’s going on
- Ease the boarding process once actually ready (as a result of not having every single passenger line up at the gate while waiting)

”The flight attendants said the plane is too hot to board right now. Sorry.”

Actively tell people in groups 2-5 to LEAVE THE BOARDING AREA for 10 mins. What a novel idea!

Is this rocket science, or are these people completely untrained and lazy?

UA needs to get it together and perhaps provide at least a mandatory training video for gate agents? They had two agents reading off the groups from a screen because clearly they have never boarded a plane before. A complete joke.

I should also add a recent flight at LAX where the gate agent said 1K’s had to go through lane 1 (which was completely full of Group 1 passengers lined up) to board. So we got to trample over those passengers instead of pre-board from the side. Great experience!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 19, 2022 at 12:07 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I ended up writing to UA 1K desk but assume nothing will happen. All of my recent gate agents at IAD genuinely have no idea what’s going on, no idea how to communicate with customers, no idea how to properly board and flag delays.

Are GA’s aware they can update the system of a boarding delay which will:
- Allow people in the lounge/terminal to stay put
- Reduce gate crowding
- Reduce angry passenger sentiment as they are actually know what’s going on
- Ease the boarding process once actually ready (as a result of not having every single passenger line up at the gate while waiting)

”The flight attendants said the plane is too hot to board right now. Sorry.”

Actively tell people in groups 2-5 to LEAVE THE BOARDING AREA for 10 mins. What a novel idea!

Is this rocket science, or are these people completely untrained and lazy?

UA needs to get it together and perhaps provide at least a mandatory training video for gate agents? They had two agents reading off the groups from a screen because clearly they have never boarded a plane before. A complete joke.
n

The gates are so tight at IAD! everyone seems like gate lice!
nomad420 and nexus7556 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
... Are GA’s aware they can update the system of a boarding delay which will: ....
I was under the impression the FIDS (flight information displays) were controlled by a separate group and not GAs
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I was under the impression the FIDS (flight information displays) were controlled by a separate group and not GAs
They are. Gate agent has no ability to update change the displayed departure time of a flight or the delay reason. Depending on the airport, it could be updated either by a zone controller, station operations, or by the network operations center in Chicago. Often the gate agents are getting the updates moments before it is being pushed to the passengers/displays, if someone was kind enough to give them a radio update or phone call to let them know. Else they're finding out the same time as everyone else.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.