Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Elite benefits with AC award ticket on UA-metal

UA Elite benefits with AC award ticket on UA-metal

Old Jun 23, 22, 1:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Florida
Programs: UA 2MM, AA Platinum
Posts: 1,889
UA Elite benefits with AC award ticket on UA-metal

I'm thinking of using some Aeroplan miles to book a ticket for UA flight numbers/UA metal (US to Caribbean). It would be issued by AC (not 016). As a United 1K, if I do this, would I get:

- free baggage
- free lounge access (Int'l ticket)
- free Economy plus seating
- chance for a CPU

My guess is yes to the first 3 and no to the last one. Anyone with any experience?
BangkokTraveler is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:37 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,868
The problem is that if you use Aeroplan points, you cannot have your United MP number attached to the ticket. You might be able to change it after you check in, but by that point you've lost most of your benefits.

This question is probably more appropriate for the Air Canada forum, where the experts there will be able to tell you if and when you can change the FF number on your reservation.
jsloan likes this.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:36 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 27,727
not a problem. Call UA to get E+ seats assigned. At check-in get your UA number into the reservation and bags/lounge should not be an issue. No CPU on award tickets.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:37 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,385
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
The problem is that if you use Aeroplan points, you cannot have your United MP number attached to the ticket. You might be able to change it after you check in, but by that point you've lost most of your benefits.

This question is probably more appropriate for the Air Canada forum, where the experts there will be able to tell you if and when you can change the FF number on your reservation.
That's not true. You can change change the ff# on an Aeroplan booking at any time online.

The answer is yes to first 3, no to last one
canadiancow likes this.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:48 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 39,080
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
That's not true. You can change change the ff# on an Aeroplan booking at any time online.

The answer is yes to first 3, no to last one
You can even do it at time of booking.

And I've never not been on the CPU list when booking X class with Aeroplan miles as long as someone on the PNR has UA Premier status (I just cancelled a SFO-LAX where it was me (Silver) and companion (Platinum) and we were both on the list). I know it's not SUPPOSED to work that way, but it has in my experience.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Jun 24, 22, 9:27 am
  #6  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,264
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You can even do it at time of booking.

And I've never not been on the CPU list when booking X class with Aeroplan miles as long as someone on the PNR has UA Premier status (I just cancelled a SFO-LAX where it was me (Silver) and companion (Platinum) and we were both on the list). I know it's not SUPPOSED to work that way, but it has in my experience.
The only scenarios where CPU is allowed for award ticket are for 1) GS members and 2) Premier members with an Explorer/Quest/Club/Presidential Plus card. Granted, I can't be sure whether the system distinguishes X class using UA or Aeroplan miles.
SPN Lifer likes this.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 10:45 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 15,906
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Granted, I can't be sure whether the system distinguishes X class using UA or Aeroplan miles.
Reports are pretty consistent that it allows upgrades on non-UA award tickets, although I agree that it's probably not by design.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 12:11 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Florida
Programs: UA 2MM, AA Platinum
Posts: 1,889
Thanks all!
BangkokTraveler is offline  
Old Jun 24, 22, 12:16 pm
  #9  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 59,303
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
The only scenarios where CPU is allowed for award ticket are for 1) GS members and 2) Premier members with an Explorer/Quest/Club/Presidential Plus card. Granted, I can't be sure whether the system distinguishes X class using UA or Aeroplan miles.
and CPU eligiblity on UA flights if booked as a partner award? (no credit card needed, just UA status)
WineCountryUA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread