Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When does it makes sense to book hotel via MileagePlusX app?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus

Hi,

I am new to the MileagePlus game and need some guidance.

I notice if I book a particular hotel through the MileagePlusX app that the cost is about $200 more for a seven-night stay than booking directly with the property. However, booking through the MileagePlusX app earns about 6000 additional miles. What is consider a decent breakpoint in making these decisions?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mimi4
Hi,

I am new to the MileagePlus game and need some guidance.

I notice if I book a particular hotel through the MileagePlusX app that the cost is about $200 more for a seven-night stay than booking directly with the property. However, booking through the MileagePlusX app earns about 6000 additional miles. What is consider a decent breakpoint in making these decisions?

Thanks for any assistance.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You can generally buy MileagePlus miles for about 2.5 cents each using Award Accelerator. (Sometimes it's less; 2.5c is what I've seen recently). So, 6K miles would cost about $150 using that method. I would never pay $200 for them -- plus, then if you need to make any changes, you have to go through United's contracted customer service team instead of dealing with the hotel directly.

In general, most people value MP miles somewhere between 1c and 1.5c each. If the cost were $50, I'd consider it. (The calculus changes if, and only if, you have an immediate need for the miles, in that you see a compelling award and you're a few miles short; then, the marginal value of those miles might be higher than the 1-1.5c guideline).

Hope this helps!
Mimi4 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Yes, this is a great help, and definitely confirms our understanding. Glad to know we're on the right track. Thanks so much!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Also note that if you book a hotel through United, you generally lose all benefits from the hotel program, like points and stay credit toward hotel status.
jsloan, Mimi4 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Good to know! Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Hotels.com/Booking.com are partners with the mileage plus X app. You can access those respective apps via the Mileage plus X app and double stack benefits. Hotels.com also uses Raktuen (I prefer cash back to miles) so make sure that tradeoff works for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.