Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA cutting 50 daily flights from EWR during summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA cutting 50 daily flights from EWR during summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by VRFast
Hopefully the 08:30 EWR-LHR flight will not be touched
Just for those of you who want to avoid the evening thunderstorms and traffic jam.
Domestic flights are the ones affected, no International.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
It's related to quite a few things: N90 (an air traffic control route in NY airspace) staffing issues
N90 is New York TRACON (terminal radar approach control), not a "route".

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well if you keep complaining to the government that there are too many planes landing and taking off every day from Newark - and your competition keeps adding flights and there is nothing you can do about it - how would you best make your point and preserve revenue? I don’t think UA cares about statistics at all - just revenue….
Good thing that's not the case, as we disproved in another thread.
zdcatc12 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 2022 at 8:55 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764
TATL has been absolutely gangbusters for UA this year. No chance any are taken off the schedule for this move, and you're right, the cuts will be domestic only.

Most likely on the chopping block are afternoon/evening UAX frequencies within 500 or so miles of EWR, especially where there are multiple flights after 6pm. E.g., 5x DCA-EWR flights schedule to arrive between 6-9pm. I would expect that number to go down.
Does IAD have similar issues and is there a chance of similar cuts there? We have a tight connection in September to Athens, and there aren't many good options is UA can't get us to IAD on our current flight.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
My flight change was apparently uploaded into the system already. When I saw the news story I checked my flights. I was traveling next month LHR-EWR-TPA.

The EWR-TPA leg was canceled and I was rebooked to LHR-ORD-TPA with a 2 hr layover at ORD so it will be tight.

No notification from United.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Domestic flights are the ones affected, no International.
Was this state in the Bloomberg article? Can't say I didn't see this coming, just the number of flights is pretty shocking. Me thinks has also more to do than just reducing EWR flight congestion.....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well if you keep complaining to the government that there are too many planes landing and taking off every day from Newark - and your competition keeps adding flights and there is nothing you can do about it - how would you best make your point and preserve revenue? I don’t think UA cares about statistics at all - just revenue….
What you're describing would be the ultimate version of cutting off your nose to spite your face. You'd make your operational problems 10x worse, and very, very noticeable to the public. I mean, sure, they'll try to ax flights that have the least revenue impact, but they'll do that now, not at the last minute.

And, they really do care about those statistics, because the DOT cares about them.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and ezefllying like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The cuts are not due to pilot or crew shortages, Kirby said.

According to the video - UA saying ATC understaffed and EWR taking more flights it can handle - the move is to improve on time performance and reduce cancellations.

United Airlines cutting 50 daily flights from Newark Liberty International Airport - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
If UA is cutting flights, I strongly suspect they'll make cuts to their DCA-EWR route. They're operating these flights almost every half-hour at peak times using CRJ550s, some of the lowest-capacity planes in the UAX fleet. Which might be nice for customers (more space!) if they actually departed roughly on time. But, in my experience, these flights start running into cascading delays around 2-4 PM because (a) EWR (airport and ATC) is jammed and (b) United simply doesn't have enough gate space at DCA, so it's an abject cluster of UA ground staff trying to load these flights while arriving planes wait on the tarmac.

As a passenger who would otherwise strongly consider DCA-EWR-XXX connections, especially international, I won't do it with such an unreliable operation. Which, I suspect, undermines the whole strategy of running high-frequency, low-capacity flights on that route ("See, there's a flight right when you need it!").

If UA cuts DCA-EWR flights by two-thirds but upgrades to a 737-800/900, they could move just as many people in likely a more timely manner.

(Or they could be real heroes and start running a 752 EWR-DCA-SFO.)

Last edited by ezefllying; Jun 23, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by milepig
Does IAD have similar issues and is there a chance of similar cuts there? We have a tight connection in September to Athens, and there aren't many good options is UA can't get us to IAD on our current flight.
No. IAD is fine - nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I don’t understand why more passengers don’t take Amtrak Acela trains rather than fly between EWR and DCA. I guess this would not be good for connectors, but otherwise Acela is better experience…..maybe a little longer than flying (if flights are on time) but just less stressful.
jp12687 likes this.

Last edited by milesmilesmiles; Jun 23, 2022 at 4:14 pm
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Had a EWR-MIA effected by this on July 25 - had to cancel the UA and rebook on AA as not going to wait around EWR for the now 5+ hr connection from a LHR-EWR
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
I don’t understand why more passengers don’t take Amtrak Acela trains rather fly between EWR and DCA. I guess this would not be good for connectors, but otherwise Acela is better experience…..maybe a little longer than flying (if flights are on time) but just less stressful.
Slot squatting. Those hourly shuttles are ridiculous.
EWR764 and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
I don’t understand why more passengers don’t take Amtrak Acela trains rather fly between EWR and DCA. I guess this would not be good for connectors, but otherwise Acela is better experience…..maybe a little longer than flying (if flights are on time) but just less stressful.
I don't know anyone who would fly DCA-EWR point-to-point. I think United thought they could turn it into a shuttle, perhaps given EWR's geographic proximity to Wall Street. But, from what I've seen, the flight is full of connecting passengers.

Now, I wish United would bring back its relationship with Amtrak and convince them to stop a couple Acelas right at EWR station. As it stands, regional Amtrak trains stop there, but the Acela only stops at Newark (city). And I don't think you can book a United ticket with an Amtrak segment from DC. I would strongly consider booking a UA ticket from Union Station to EWR to a long-haul destination if the first leg were Acela.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Slot squatting. Those hourly shuttles are ridiculous.
Hourly?

Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by ezefllying
Hourly?

[screenshot of UA’s DCA-EWR schedule removed to make post smaller]
UA can probably get close to half the necessary flight cuts just by rationalizing that schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.