Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ways to maintain status for now infrequent flyer

Ways to maintain status for now infrequent flyer

Old Jun 23, 22, 4:56 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 9
Ways to maintain status for now infrequent flyer

I'm currently a 1K and will only fly 3 United one-way flights in 2022 as it currently stands. So my status will expire at the end of this year.

I know I will lose the 1K, but what options are available to me to maintain some sort of status? Ideally Premier Gold to get Economy Plus seats at time of booking. I know there are a ton of different cards out there, would consider one as long as the annual fee is fairly reasonable.
brightonbeachspotter is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:37 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 6,353
You're going to need to do more flying . . . you need at least 4 united segments. Even if you get a Chase United-branded card you're limited in how many PQPs you can accumulate.

Other options - buy an annual E+ pass for next year, which may be cheaper than pursuing status, and lounge access if you need/want it. Or just buy E+ for each flight, which if you're not flying much is less expensive than a pass or pursuing status.

Another option is a status challenge when you decide to start flying again.
notquiteaff, jsloan, 8MiHi and 1 others like this.
drewguy is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:16 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC, LON
Programs: *
Posts: 2,274
Originally Posted by brightonbeachspotter View Post
I'm currently a 1K and will only fly 3 United one-way flights in 2022 as it currently stands. So my status will expire at the end of this year.

I know I will lose the 1K, but what options are available to me to maintain some sort of status? Ideally Premier Gold to get Economy Plus seats at time of booking. I know there are a ton of different cards out there, would consider one as long as the annual fee is fairly reasonable.
Why exactly do you want status as now flying infrequently? What status benefits in particular are you keen to maintain?
notquiteaff and entropy like this.
ani90 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:40 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: IAH
Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Gold
Posts: 283
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
You're going to need to do more flying . . . you need at least 4 united segments. Even if you get a Chase United-branded card you're limited in how many PQPs you can accumulate.
With the Chase Explorer card you and 1 companion will get one checked bag for free if you pay for the flight using the card on UA website. And 2 UC one time passes.
VRFast is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:04 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 9
Thanks for the ideas. Indeed, I realize now that for my anticipated frequency of flying, I don't really need status. All I'm really concerned with is flying in E+, in which case it'll just be cheaper to buy that fare class.
notquiteaff likes this.
brightonbeachspotter is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:12 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
Posts: 50,880
Originally Posted by brightonbeachspotter View Post
All I'm really concerned with is flying in E+, in which case it'll just be cheaper to buy that fare class.
E+ is not a separate fare class. It's an add-on to any Economy fare.
SPN Lifer likes this.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:55 am
  #7  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,278
Since MileagePlus is really now a spending program instead of how much you flight, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend on airfare to requalify.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
E+ is not a separate fare class. It's an add-on to any Economy fare.
And E+ spending earns PQP for qualification.
SPN Lifer likes this.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:45 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: CHS
Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,070
If you are Titanium or above with Marriott, you will retain at least Silver status with United.
nexus7556 and SPN Lifer like this.
BillMorrow is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:45 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,626
These days you can buy everything that status gives you, for not that much more money (except maybe GS), and I actually think for many cases F is a better "deal" for buyup than E+, especially if its not included. If you're flying 3-4x a year you'll find its a better deal than being abused for your loyalty - and you can be a free agent at that.
dcpdxtrans and Markalta like this.
entropy is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:14 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: San Diego
Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA 1K
Posts: 228
I’m in the same scenario as OP and for me, I’ll really miss CPUs (my luck is better than most as I’m often on full Y tickets and take advantage of the “instant upgrades”), availability of the “expanded” business class award availability, no waiting to talk to a United phone agent, and fully refundable/changeable award tickets.

I’ll make gold this year, but I’m tempted to mileage run on AC so I can get platinum specifically for the award availability to drain my account before more devaluations.
therossinator is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:03 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 7,521
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
These days you can buy everything that status gives you, for not that much more money
Which option do I need to pick at time of purchase to buy the hope that they will let me sit at the pointy-end of the plane, whilst the whole time knowing that it's far more likely I'll somehow end up at #1 on the upgrade list despite me previously being #2 with 3 seats showing as still available? There's some things that status gives that money just can't buy...
hhdl likes this.
docbert is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:36 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAD/ARN
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
These days you can buy everything that status gives you, for not that much more money (except maybe GS), and I actually think for many cases F is a better "deal" for buyup than E+, especially if its not included. If you're flying 3-4x a year you'll find its a better deal than being abused for your loyalty - and you can be a free agent at that.
I have to agree. You could probably get Gold if you can find a way to get a fourth flight (and are willing to throw some money at it), but is it really worth it? If you're flying infrequently it'll probably be more cost-effective to just buy what you want. About the only other notable benefits you'd get as a Gold besides E+ would be CPUs (which rarely clear at that level), lounge access/*G benefits (useless if you're only flying domestic), and Group 1 boarding (only really useful if you're trying to avoid gate-checking a bag).

I'm trying to get at least Gold (if not higher) status for 2023, but I am expecting a lot more travel (mostly TATL and intra-EU) over the next couple of years - the *G benefits are worth it for me. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't bother though. You'd be better off just shopping around for discount F fares and not worrying about loyalty.
jsloan likes this.
chleonard is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:53 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,626
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Which option do I need to pick at time of purchase to buy the hope that they will let me sit at the pointy-end of the plane, whilst the whole time knowing that it's far more likely I'll somehow end up at #1 on the upgrade list despite me previously being #2 with 3 seats showing as still available? There's some things that status gives that money just can't buy...
yeah I guess you can't buy that part of the experience, or watching your reservations for months for a drop in the buyup price.
entropy is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:18 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 161
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
yeah I guess you can't buy that part of the experience, or watching your reservations for months for a drop in the buyup price.
Or bragging rights that you have x status and are a superior human being for having spent so much time barreling through the air in metal tubes 🤣
Markalta likes this.
BR787 is offline  
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:32 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 6,353
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Which option do I need to pick at time of purchase to buy the hope that they will let me sit at the pointy-end of the plane, whilst the whole time knowing that it's far more likely I'll somehow end up at #1 on the upgrade list despite me previously being #2 with 3 seats showing as still available? There's some things that status gives that money just can't buy...
"First" or "Polaris Business" is the option to buy to get that.
drewguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread