Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flying a few United Flights after 19 years of avoidance

Old Jun 22, 22, 7:09 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

I decided to forgive my past experiences and fly a few flights again with United and see what I thought
Once upon a time I was a loyal Premier Executive and 1k customer depending on the year.
The first thing I noticed was how angry and hostile the check in agents were at O'hare.All I did was attempt check in @ the Premier area
They made AA agents look like stars. The United supervisor was reprimanding her team members loudly in front of customers.They disliked each other to say that politely
Lowly plebeian Silver here Complimentary of Marriott
They let all of us there know to use the kiosk which I did.Once the bag tag was spit out an agent reluctantly agreed to assist.
She didn't even look at me in the eye just barked at me photo ID!! where are you going?!! I was glad to leave the area

On the other hand the gate agents were amazingly friendly can do and taking care of hundreds of passengers in the boarding area better than anything
I have seen at Alaska American or Southwest in years.I'll assume not the norm
In Tampa the check in agents were clearly untrained and incompetent.And Houston a mob scene
I tried to change flights was happy to pay and they said they had no idea how to modify change a ticket.
FAs were perfectly good as expected but one was so old I thought they were a senior passenger at first slowly making their way down the aisle .

On board I was surprised to see passengers upgrading to economy plus for free once the cabin doors shut and we were in the air.
FAs said nothing is that really allowed?
Think a few would have plopped down in First for free too but every seat was taken.
Kind of makes you never want to pay for it with the free for all on board
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
On board I was surprised to see passengers upgrading to economy plus for free once the cabin doors shut and we were in the air.
FAs said nothing is that really allowed?
No, it is not allowed. Some FAs are more strict about it than others.
Kind of makes you never want to pay for it with the free for all on board
It's much more common for UA flights to go out entirely full than it is for there to be enough empty seats to make E+ poaching a real possibility, even if the FAs don't pay attention.
nexus7556 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
OP, you have Silver via the Marriott partnership - then you would receive free E+ selections at check-in.​​​​
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
OP, you have Silver via the Marriott partnership - then you would receive free E+ selections at check-in.​​​​
Yes thank you I am aware it works great when flights are not filling up otherwise its risky
I can see myself flying United from time to time.I would have earlier had I known you could also use miles and not have to pay a redeposit fee
Unfortunate the message is quite mixed and some agents say we aren't charging at present others state rules saying they will charge based on the 30 to 60 days
I'm also aware of simply changing dates for a later date
The message from Alaska American and Southwest is much clearer No change fees on award tickets

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
No, it is not allowed. Some FAs are more strict about it than others.

It's much more common for UA flights to go out entirely full than it is for there to be enough empty seats to make E+ poaching a real possibility, even if the FAs don't pay attention.
Appreciate the heads up
I thought it was a bit sketchy of the passengers doing it.I would have at least asked permission if I was in their shoes but its a new generation out there of see it and grab it its mine! on a plane in a store
Scary

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 22 at 11:00 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:58 am

Programs: A few here and there
19 years?

A lot has changed since 2003. What are you looking for a specific answer for here?
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet View Post
A lot has changed since 2003. What are you looking for a specific answer for here?
I think I'm there mostly to understand the self upgrading situation which has been answered.Perhaps they should go back to dragging off planes some of the self upgrading passengers
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:25 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I think I'm there mostly to understand the self upgrading situation which has been answered.Perhaps they should go back to dragging off planes some of the self upgrading passengers
United likely won't do that again after the Dao incident. Which was not related to self upgrading. I do ask if the ua experience is so disappointing for you why come back?
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
United likely won't do that again after the Dao incident. Which was not related to self upgrading. I do ask if the ua experience is so disappointing for you why come back?
There is no doubt from my limited experience and at least in my perception United has lost
a fair amount of professionalism and kindness.
in their check in procedures to be helpful.Make the customer do as much of the work as
possible and be subjected to robotic
angry militant frontlines.So once you are checked in the experience typically seems about
the same as most every airlin.That said it must to tough to work @ Ohare lately with the crush of passengers this summer

United’s draw to me is the crumbs of a flight schedule LAX to San or else taking the train to downtown
And occasionally like this week a rare event where united had saver awards half the redemption cost of others (typically I see them as much higher retune or award)making it a good value
Though I was upgraded to first class on Alaska it meant a stop in sfo with a 3 hour layover so i canceled and went with UA

Sometimes you just want to get home quickly and maximize your time
I see United as I do Southwest sometimes it might make sense to just suck it up and go
United was my favorite airline in the 90s and post 9-11 they lost me making flying overly complicated and recovery from problems extremely difficult.None the less a good learning experience to compare the negatives and positives at every airline
nomad420 likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jun 23, 22 at 9:02 am
Old Jun 23, 22, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite, UA Plat
I've been elite on UA, AA and DL. They all have their pros and cons and are inconsistent, as is the norm for US airlines.

Oddly enough, I found the soft product on AA TPAC flights to be better than UA, particularly flew the LAX to NRT/HND a lot. UA has some great people too. But I have experienced nasty check-in agents at ORD, LAX, etc. as well.

DL generally has the better soft product, until it isn't. There are nasty people over there too. YMMV
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
There is no doubt from my limited experience and at least in my perception United has lost
a fair amount of professionalism and kindness.
in their check in procedures to be helpful.Make the customer do as much of the work as
possible and be subjected to robotic
angry militant frontlines.So once you are checked in the experience typically seems about
the same as most every airlin.That said it must to tough to work @ Ohare lately with the crush of passengers this summer

United’s draw to me is the crumbs of a flight schedule LAX to San or else taking the train to downtown
And occasionally like this week a rare event where united had saver awards half the redemption cost of others (typically I see them as much higher retune or award)making it a good value
Though I was upgraded to first class on Alaska it meant a stop in sfo with a 3 hour layover so i canceled and went with UA

Sometimes you just want to get home quickly and maximize your time
I see United as I do Southwest sometimes it might make sense to just suck it up and go
United was my favorite airline in the 90s and post 9-11 they lost me making flying overly complicated and recovery from problems extremely difficult.None the less a good learning experience to compare the negatives and positives at every airline
Yearning for the airline of decades ago with the technology of today is a bit unrealistic imo. I actually appreciate the ability to use the website and app to check in change flights etc. without agent intervention and without having to stand in line or spend time on the phone. It lowers costs and my time. There are challenging customer service interfaces everywhere. The only consistent airlines I have experienced for good customer service are the Asian carriers.
Old Jun 24, 22, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold
I mostly fly UA domestic due to routes. But I also have flown AA and DL recently, and will fly AS next month. UA has mostly bad food, and DL is usually better all around, but I find all are tolerable in F, so I try to buy it or upgrade most of the time. And I just don't fly Frontier, Spirit or Southwest any more. They work fine with things work fine, but if anything goes wrong, you are on your own. For international, though, I just won't fly UA at this point unless it is the cheapest (taking into account PP upgrades, where available at booking). Since beginning international flying again this year, I have flown AF and KLM, and they were fantastic. Later I will be flying AF, Brussels Air, and BA, for a total of 8 TATL flights. All materially cheaper, with cash or miles, and better soft product, than UA.

Search this Thread