Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any United options for Air Canada E50K / *A Gold (Status Match?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

I recently moved to LA with my family from Canada, and have been a E50K / Star Alliance Gold member with Air Canada for a number of years (and will be throughout 2022). Now that I live in LA, I'd like to move to United Airlines for my frequent flying - so that I can fly domestically in the US with a US carrier (under their own FF program vs eg. using my AC number with United) and also continue to fly back to Canada on code-shares with Air Canada. The latter trips will be less frequent, so if the advice is to instead try for a status match with American or Delta (who also have hubs at LAX), I'm open to that as well.

I read through the United Status Match thread, and looks like that doesn't apply for people who already have status with other Star Alliance carriers, and is more designed for elite flyers from other programs (makes sense). Is there any other way with United where I could get the equivalent *A Gold status (I think Premier Gold), like e-mailing someone to let them know my situation (Eg. moved to LA and want to move my flying to United)? May no longer be relevant, but I used to live in California in the late 2000s, and had United Premier Platinum status for a few years before I moved back to Canada, so maybe that might count for something? (especially if talking to a person / dept?)

Thanks
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tylerchris
I recently moved to LA with my family from Canada, and have been a E50K / Star Alliance Gold member with Air Canada for a number of years (and will be throughout 2022). Now that I live in LA, I'd like to move to United Airlines for my frequent flying - so that I can fly domestically in the US with a US carrier (under their own FF program vs eg. using my AC number with United) and also continue to fly back to Canada on code-shares with Air Canada. The latter trips will be less frequent, so if the advice is to instead try for a status match with American or Delta (who also have hubs at LAX), I'm open to that as well.

I read through the United Status Match thread, and looks like that doesn't apply for people who already have status with other Star Alliance carriers, and is more designed for elite flyers from other programs (makes sense). Is there any other way with United where I could get the equivalent *A Gold status (I think Premier Gold), like e-mailing someone to let them know my situation (Eg. moved to LA and want to move my flying to United)? May no longer be relevant, but I used to live in California in the late 2000s, and had United Premier Platinum status for a few years before I moved back to Canada, so maybe that might count for something? (especially if talking to a person / dept?)

Thanks
While you might be able to get a status match to DL, and then fly WestJet to Canada, it seems the easiest thing, by far, will be to get UA status organically while using your *A benefits. There's a board thread on the topic, but basically if you change the frequent flyer number on the reservation at the right time, you can get the *G benefits from your Aeroplan account whilst crediting to UA.

However, please make sure you understand UA's model before you do so. They're extremely focused on spend, and somewhat on the number of flights, rather than distance.

Finally, the UA Gold benefits include E+ seating at no charge and a theoretical chance at upgrades, but do not include United Club access on domestic itineraries. *G via AC will get you lounge access on domestic UA itineraries but no E+ or upgrades. It's up to you which is more valuable -- many people credit to a foreign program specifically to get the lounge access. (At LAX in particular, UA Gold members can access the Maple Leaf lounge in T6 or the *A / NZ lounge in the international terminal, but it's a long walk to the UA gates).
tylerchris likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:26 am
Original Poster

This is very helpful color, thanks. The option to potentially use my Air Canada *A Gold number for the benefits (including lounge access for domestic flights), but potentially switch it at the right time to get the UA mileage credit is helpful - will definitely take a read through that thread. Especially if I'm trying to get my UA Gold organically.

Of course that might be more difficult in today's flying economy (flying much less for business now than I did in previous years), so I'm still going to consider the potential status match to Delta (probably not American, as I don't like that they require a fee to even try the Challenge).
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.