Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

21 June 2022 UA928 LHR-ORD operated by a 752

21 June 2022 UA928 LHR-ORD operated by a 752

Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
CO didn't have LHR landing rights in 1996.
Yup. They were out at Gatwick before getting some space at T4.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
my first UA Intl flight was EWR-LHR on a gleaming new 777 in 96

Widebody to major destinations or Im not booking.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
You mean CO?
No - the tulip - UA was the launch customer for the 777. Great advancement at the time.

And PMUA was runningTATL Ops to at least LHR at EWR back then. I think it stopped a bit later.
ContinentalFan and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:58 pm

So did I in the day. A long way in a narrow body.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
I get this reasoning and can sympathize a little with the current state of airline ops, but IMHO you only get to play this card a couple times before it gets old and you lose customer trust. First a 772HD on IAH-LHR, then another on IAD-MUC, and now this, all in the span of what, a month? 752s and 772HDs are not valid long-term spare aircraft for routes that are more-or-less Polaris guaranteed and sell PE.
I'm not sure I agree. The Delta playbook lately has been to operationally cancel flights and they are constantly on the news for it. 10% of flights were cancelled over Memorial Day weekend - and reading the June meltdown thread over there tells me a lot of those passengers would have loved to have a aircraft swap rather than a ruined vacation or missed meetings with a cancelled flight.

UA has largely stayed off the radar of negative flight cancellation news - but I bet if they start just cancelling flights that would change.

It is easy to just say cancel the flight when it isn't your vacation or you have to be somewhere.
Xyzzy, rmadisonwi, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
A 752 and 763 have nearly the same number of seats (depending on exact configuration). I'd rather have a different seat and aircraft -- but have an aircraft -- than be left trying to reroute my trip. FWIW, I lve the 752.
AndyPatterson likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recently I have increased my flights on DL and love that they have multiple 757 flights a day between JAX-ATL.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
I seem to recall reading on FT that the 757 was the preferred aircraft when flying in Y. I actually prefer the 767. Pre Covid I regularly flew ORD-LHR on a 767 and found the exit row with 2 seats nice.
The 757 is good for FC because you turn left; it boards from the second door. This makes it easier for FAs to hang coats and serve PDBs too.
higher_flyer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by dkc192
I get this reasoning and can sympathize a little with the current state of airline ops, but IMHO you only get to play this card a couple times before it gets old and you lose customer trust. First a 772HD on IAH-LHR, then another on IAD-MUC, and now this, all in the span of what, a month? 752s and 772HDs are not valid long-term spare aircraft for routes that are more-or-less Polaris guaranteed and sell PE.
exactly

You also arent getting hoodwinked by the but would you rather they cancel? nonsense.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
(shrug) The airline is damned either way, and the best alternative is to get as many people to their destination as possible. If you happen to be on all 3 flights that had an aircraft substitution, well go buy a lottery ticket.

And that's 3 flights out of how many flights that operated with their assigned aircraft?
I also don't think that's a fair criticism. If United starts regularly subbing true-Polaris aircraft with planes with PMCO or PMUA business seats, criticism will be warranted. But, if the alternative is to cancel a transatlantic flight, then subbing a 752 for a 763 is obviously preferable for customers -- especially if you can fit all the passengers on the plane.

Now, as a passenger, I might be inclined to gripe about it and request a voucher in return (maybe $250 if I'd upgraded or bought an award ticket; $500 if I'd actually paid for J). And I think it would be fair to request a re-route via IAD, EWR or BOS if I really cared about the seat. (As it happens, I understand the PMUA business seats are better-padded than Polaris; for a short night flight like East Coast-LHR, it might be a better option.) But I don't think there's yet evidence that UA has decided to defer investment in Polaris by engaging in risky aircraft scheduling and then relying on inferior aircraft when its operations fall through.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by jsloan
CO didn't have LHR landing rights in 1996.
And didnt have the 777 either.
jsloan and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
No - the tulip - UA was the launch customer for the 777. Great advancement at the time.

And PMUA was runningTATL Ops to at least LHR at EWR back then. I think it stopped a bit later.
I remember that flight well... UA906/907. At some point it was a one-stop continuing to DEN.
SPN Lifer and uastarflyer like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
And didnt have the 777 either.
Ha! Youre right CO didnt have the 777 until 1998.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.