Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Flight EWR-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by seanp7
I disagree that the 8.30am 'wastes a day' - I find that the red eyes often arrive too early, you can't check in to your hotel, so you wander around like a zombie until you can and try to power through the first day (which gets 'wasted', in my view). You will get 4 hours sleep max on such a short flight. On the other hand, you can stay awake on the day flight and get a good night's sleep when you arrive.

lol you should have stated that the 8.30am has no availability in the first post - that changes everything. Go with what's available for 4 people. 10pm is good. EWR in the summer is unpredictable - I wouldn't get too anxious about flight times as a summer thunderstorm could ruin any flight. Book what you can now.
Thanks! 8:30 AM isn't available now, but that can always change.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Thanks all for your responses. Seems like the consensus is the 8:30 AM morning flight. Problems with that are it wastes an entire day flying, less convenient for us, and currently no IN availability vs. the evening flights which do. I don't think it's worth paying a few thousand dollars more just in case of IRROPS, so ideally an evening flight is ideal.

With that said, do you think the 10 PM is a safe enough bet or should I go for an earlier flight (say 7 PM) so if there are issues, they can put us on a later flight?
I took the 10pm flight this week -- we were delayed about an hour but the flight went out fine -- as they most always do! I know it's hard -- try not to stress too much about it there -- are hourly flights up until 11pm. As the others pointed out the day flight is also my favorite -- there is a caveat however -- if that flight takes a delay it can get dicey quickly as flights are not allowed to land at Heathrow past a certain time (IIRC 11:30pm, reopening for arrivals at 6am)-- so if the delay carries on too long they will have to cancel -- and you will then be on a red eye anyways. Fortunately it has been pretty reliable and to is by far the best option to me -- especially for business travel (which is the majority of my travel to the UK)....
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by ani90
...Why would United put four J passengers on BA, when they have multiple direct and indirect UA flight options daily and also indirect options through Europe involving star alliance carriers? Are there any precedents where this has happened between LHR and NYC?
I'm thinking of options to get there same day, rather than wait all day for accommodation on an evening flight. Isn't NYC-LHR the only route to Europe with a same-day arrival? If so, then an indirect option through Europe will still end up next day. If these are paid J tickets, maybe you have a better case.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Traveling in August.
Have a good trip. I'm sure the CA for august will be great, but he won't be me!
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Traveling in August.
August is usually worst for storms
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I'm thinking of options to get there same day, rather than wait all day for accommodation on an evening flight. Isn't NYC-LHR the only route to Europe with a same-day arrival? If so, then an indirect option through Europe will still end up next day. If these are paid J tickets, maybe you have a better case.
There’s an IAD-LHR day flight, but would have to take an even earlier EWR flight that morning to connect to it. Highly improbable there would be 4 J seats remaining though.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by econ
There’s an IAD-LHR day flight, but would have to take an even earlier EWR flight that morning to connect to it. Highly improbable there would be 4 J seats remaining though.
Yes - especially since it's a fauxlaris flight on a 757....
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I took the 10pm flight this week -- we were delayed about an hour but the flight went out fine -- as they most always do! I know it's hard -- try not to stress too much about it there -- are hourly flights up until 11pm. As the others pointed out the day flight is also my favorite -- there is a caveat however -- if that flight takes a delay it can get dicey quickly as flights are not allowed to land at Heathrow past a certain time (IIRC 11:30pm, reopening for arrivals at 6am)-- so if the delay carries on too long they will have to cancel -- and you will then be on a red eye anyways. Fortunately it has been pretty reliable and to is by far the best option to me -- especially for business travel (which is the majority of my travel to the UK)....
Thanks! According to Flight Aware the 10 PM was only canceled once in the last 3 months, so it seems like a pretty safe bet, but who knows.....

Originally Posted by 757FO
Have a good trip. I'm sure the CA for august will be great, but he won't be me!
Are you EWR based?

Originally Posted by manstein58
August is usually worst for storms
I hope not.....

Originally Posted by econ
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes - especially since it's a fauxlaris flight on a 757....
The IAD- LHR doesn't seem to be a good option due to the need for an additional flight (I like going nonstop if at all possible, as the more flights, the more chance for IRROPS), and the Fauxlaris on the 757's
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Are you EWR based?
YEP, sure am.
MarkP24 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2022 at 3:38 pm Reason: reapired quote
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

YEP, sure am.
Nice, so we've probably met before

Which flight would you choose for a party of 4? I'm leaning toward the 7 PM as it's early enough in the evening.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Hard to say. I would imagine that EWR-LHR is a flight that would be prioritized to depart relatively close to on-time (say, vs. a UAX flight that will get delayed when bad weather happens). If you want a nicer (i.e. less crowded) airport experience, later is probably better. But I have historically tried to take the earlier flights in the evening to LHR because, at least in the past (i.e. pre-pandemic times), clearing immigration in Terminal 2 at LHR could be brutal if you did not get gifted the FastPass by being in Polaris.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Hard to say. I would imagine that EWR-LHR is a flight that would be prioritized to depart relatively close to on-time (say, vs. a UAX flight that will get delayed when bad weather happens). If you want a nicer (i.e. less crowded) airport experience, later is probably better. But I have historically tried to take the earlier flights in the evening to LHR because, at least in the past (i.e. pre-pandemic times), clearing immigration in Terminal 2 at LHR could be brutal if you did not get gifted the FastPass by being in Polaris.
Thanks! Very helpful!
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Thanks! Very helpful!
No problem! What my wife and I used to do: race off the plane in front of everyone else (who was sleep-deprived / jet-lagged like we were), get to the front of immigration line quickly, get through fast, and then hit the Priority Pass arrivals lounge after customs/baggage claim to shower up, grab some grub, and hop on the Heathrow Express. There is so much terminal to get through that hustling at that hour (when no one was there) was a slam-dunk way of getting through the line fast. But I would only recommend it if you have access to a shower at the end of the journey!
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When are you traveling? I have the AM flight 3 times in July. The morning flight tends to avoid the nasty storms that pop up in the afternoon/evening.
When I was flying out of IAD headed for LHR, I always chose the morning departure for the same reasons. IAD ops are simply a mess late in the day when T-storms move in.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: *
Hard to say. I would imagine that EWR-LHR is a flight that would be prioritized to depart relatively close to on-time (say, vs. a UAX flight that will get delayed when bad weather happens).
I would imagine in this scenario EWR-LHR gets delayed and UAX gets cancelled!

But I have historically tried to take the earlier flights in the evening to LHR because, at least in the past (i.e. pre-pandemic times), clearing immigration in Terminal 2 at LHR could be brutal if you did not get gifted the FastPass by being in Polaris.
FastTrack on entry is virtually non existent post-pandemic. Most in Polaris end up in same long line for e-gates or the line to see an officer if young children or not qualifying passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.