Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Old Jun 29, 22, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I was surprised to find myself as one of five passengers in the LGA club on Monday morning. I got to LGA early since I had to check and bag and knew the airport would be packed. Security lines looked like they were going to take an hour for the non PreCheck passengers, though I was through in ten minutes with PreCheck. Had the buffet (eggs, sausage and make your own granola, among other items) to myself and nobody sitting near me. First time I'd seen such an empty lounge and was shocked for a Monday morning ex-LGA (around 0545).
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
I was surprised to find myself as one of five passengers in the LGA club on Monday morning. I got to LGA early since I had to check and bag and knew the airport would be packed. Security lines looked like they were going to take an hour for the non PreCheck passengers, though I was through in ten minutes with PreCheck. Had the buffet (eggs, sausage and make your own granola, among other items) to myself and nobody sitting near me. First time I'd seen such an empty lounge and was shocked for a Monday morning ex-LGA (around 0545).
I know saying this will jinx it, but I've been really impressed with the offerings at the LGA UC....
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
MSP is the same way, very few PAX there when I'm there (although that's also usually early morning)

Originally Posted by McTigerFan View Post
I've also moved to AA from UA (also ORD-based). The UA club experiences I've had in the past 12 months have ranged from mediocre to awful. The AA experiences have generally been ok, sometimes good. The AA Executive Club card permits authorized user access to the club without primary cardmember present (a big plus for our four adult children and spouse). And after the devaluation of the "Infinite" card we switched spend to the AA Executive Card, and the AA Loyalty Points scheme has allowed McTigerWife to get to Platinum Pro in 6 months with Executive Platinum about three months away -- she got upgraded to LAX at the gate last Thursday, her third upgrade in the past four tries. I think UA is going to find its UC problems to be a growing competitive disadvantage. We cancelled our Infinite Card over the weekend at the annual renewal fee window.

Sure, all clubs are more crowded than they used to be, but we have had much less problem with overcrowding at Admirals Club than at UC, especially at ORD.
I find this strange. The B7 lounge always has seats when I'm there, and it's a LOT. The C lounge can get crowded, given lounge size per # of gates at the C terminal, but that's easily avoided by just using the B7 lounge. Haven't had any crowding problems at the F lounge either but am there less often.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 22 at 1:51 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:53 pm

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
It's not even reasonable to blame the card for this. United pushes that card hard. This is a case of United attempting to reneg on their promise of lounge passes. They oversold.
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:56 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
MSP is the same way, very few PAX there when I'm there (although that's also usually early morning)

I find this strange. The B7 lounge always has seats when I'm there, and it's a LOT. The C lounge can get crowded, given lounge size per # of gates at the C terminal, but that's easily avoided by just using the B7 lounge. Haven't had any crowding problems at the F lounge either but am there less often.
My experiences with the ORD lounges are pretty much the same... I can think of maybe 1 time when F was uncomfortably crowded (had to circle for seating); B7 can be "busy" but I've never had an issue finding a seat -- maybe not my preferred type of seat, but my butt has always found a home without much effort. I don't get down to B19(?) that often because my flights generally don't seem to be down that way I always perceive it as the smallest ORD club -- rightly or wrongly -- I think the "shotgun" configuration has a lot do do with it in my mind (I always forget there's the bar in the far back and the additional seating around the corner)... C is pretty constantly at "hmm, let me make a couple passes and hope I find a seat" levels except very early mornings and late nights, IME.
EJRofChicago likes this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
My experiences with the ORD lounges are pretty much the same... I can think of maybe 1 time when F was uncomfortably crowded (had to circle for seating); B7 can be "busy" but I've never had an issue finding a seat -- maybe not my preferred type of seat, but my butt has always found a home without much effort. I don't get down to B19(?) that often because my flights generally don't seem to be down that way I always perceive it as the smallest ORD club -- rightly or wrongly -- I think the "shotgun" configuration has a lot do do with it in my mind (I always forget there's the bar in the far back and the additional seating around the corner)... C is pretty constantly at "hmm, let me make a couple passes and hope I find a seat" levels except very early mornings and late nights, IME.
I think the takeaway for ORD is avoid the C16 lounge ... it's smaller than B7, and there are a lot more gates on the C concourse than B concourse and the B concourse has 1.5 lounges. (I agree B19 is the smallest.)

But to describe ORD lounges as overcrowded in general doesn't seem accurate to me.
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:20 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I think the takeaway for ORD is avoid the C16 lounge ... it's smaller than B7, and there are a lot more gates on the C concourse than B concourse and the B concourse has 1.5 lounges. (I agree B19 is the smallest.)

But to describe ORD lounges as overcrowded in general doesn't seem accurate to me.
I don't completely agree or disagree for the sole reason that a distant empty lounge isn't of much utility on a "reasonable" length connection. A lot of my connections are in the <2 hour range and seem to arrive and depart on C. If I'm coming in to C21 and leaving from C27 with say 90 minutes of disposable time between getting off the end of the jet bridge and beginning the boarding process (and not including any visits to the restrooms, etc.) for the next flight do I really want to spend 30 of those minutes doing the Z-pattern from C2x, down the escalator, through the tunnel, up the escalator, through perennial the mob of slow-moving clueless people [WHY DO YOU STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALKWAY?!? WHY! WHY DO YOU NEED TO WALK IN A GROUP FIVE ACROSS AT 3 INCHES PER MINUTE?!? AAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH (sorry)] that are funneled between the TSA checkpoints and the gates, and in to the B7 club and then reversing the process when it's time to get back to the departure gate?

So for that reason I usually cross my fingers and wind up in the C club -- a few times awkwardly leaning against a wall with a drink waiting to swoop like a vulture the moment a seat is abandoned because while not really "relaxing" that to me is a better use of my time and less-unrelaxing than the alternative. (Though if the C-F shuttle were still a thing, depending on specific gate pairs, I might consider that just out of laziness)

Of course if you have 5 hours like I did a few weeks ago (it almost would have made sense to just rent a car and drive home, but I prefer flying) the 'incremental cost' of getting to a less-crowded lounge relative to the "lounge available time" is a much less severe penalty and I'm more likely to do it just to avoid boredom.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

I passed by the C club a couple of months ago and snagged a seat at the bar - but was surprised how small it was and it was crowded.

At least they are building a new C club and was able to keep the current C club open.
Boraxo and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jul 2, 22, 10:49 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by phkc070408 View Post
I'm curious to know what Chase has to say about UA turning their customers away. Last year I had 4 UA club passes for a short period and didn't get to use any of them on a family trip to Disney. We traveled the week before MCO opened and EWR denied us. When all 4 of them expired, unused, I sucessfully pressured chase into giving me a $200.00 statement credit for the denied benefit.
LOL Chase does not care they already got your money. And they know how many passes they gave and how many seats total are in the entire united club network and that on spring break weekend in EWR there will be x amount of customers trying to use their passes before their flight to MCO and FLL

I must say nice work getting $200 out of them, trying to use a benefit only one time on one occasion and have it not work out would not land me any "cash value" of that benefit let alone $200 of it.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 2, 22, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by cur View Post
LOL Chase does not care they already got your money. And they know how many passes they gave and how many seats total are in the entire united club network and that on spring break weekend in EWR there will be x amount of customers trying to use their passes before their flight to MCO and FLL

I must say nice work getting $200 out of them, trying to use a benefit only one time on one occasion and have it not work out would not land me any "cash value" of that benefit let alone $200 of it.
phkc070408 how did you communicate the issue with Chase? Im have a minor glitch with my communication regarding the same! TIA
Old Jul 2, 22, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards

While they have my annual fee for this year, I'm at risk of canceling the card, with Chase loosing out on potential fees from merchants. Also, people might stop applying if the word gets out that a promised benefit is being denied.
I admit that I was pleasantly surprised when they offered the $200.00 the first time I called.

phkc070408 how did you communicate the issue with Chase? Im have a minor glitch in the communication! TIA
I called them on the phone. The number os on the back of the card.
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.

Last edited by phkc070408; Jul 2, 22 at 11:14 am
Old Jul 2, 22, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I called them on the phone. The number is on the back of the card.
Thanks for your quick reply! I had sent them an email with no reply, I dont have the app. However, I just called and the CS representative said hes going to contact marketing and request an extension. He says I should hear back in the US mail in about 7 to 10 days. Fingers crossed.

I typically have access by other means, and I gift these passes to Friends and Family. I called in about a week ago as well, it was in the evening and the front line person wasnt the sharpest pencil in the cup, transferred me over to escalation and then there was a 20 minute hold and I immediately hung up.

I got right through to a rather nice CS agent with this call.

Have a Nice 4th of July weekend
Old Jul 2, 22, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
While they have my annual fee for this year, I'm at risk of canceling the card, with Chase loosing out on potential fees from merchants. Also, people might stop applying if the word gets out that a promised benefit is being denied.
I admit that I was pleasantly surprised when they offered the $200.00 the first time I called.

I called them on the phone. The number os on the back of the card.
This card has lost its utility to me. I never used the passes anyway but was able to give them away a couple of times. The yield on the card is just too low compared to the 5.25% cashback on my MasterCard or the 3x travel spend on the CSR. I am never added to the domestic upgrade queue when I am on a J award, so that benefit is useless, and the travel insurances, etc. are far inferior to the CSR.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 2, 22 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 2, 22, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
We don't fly often, and when we do it's always up front, whether domestic or intl. My parents are NSRAs so if we don't use the passes, we usually give them to them.

Since we don't spend much on travel, a travel card is out of the question as well. But the 5% cash back Master Card might be worth exploring. I justified the Explorer card bu using the MileagePlus X App, MP Shopping, MP Dining, etc, but that 5.25% might be a better deal.

Taking the topic back on to the devaluation of the UC (before we get counseled for going OT), The one-time pass issue is frustrating, however there is a post or two in the new EWR Club thread, towards the beginning, about how nice of a club it is and how UA intends to use a similar model going forward, which does add value to the clubs, in fact we could say it added so much value that they're turning people away. Regardless the reason of the high attendance, the new club is at least 3X the size of the old one and they are still maxing out. Appears to be a winning situation for UA. (Now if they can apply this logic to the Polaris Model, that would be even better).
Old Jul 2, 22, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Other than the UA lounges being packed and this crowding stuff is not an issue limited to UA the lounges are better now than they were ten years ago. Not only with regard to the lounge furnishing/decor but also with regard to food.

Search this Thread