Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Old Jun 22, 22, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
I dropped my UC membership 6 years ago because I was moving overseas and I could see which way the wind was blowing with the UC - not in a good direction. For the past 6 years I've used a combination of PP lounges and *G lounges, and I haven't missed the UC one bit.
i will miss the NRT UC showers though when I pass through soon - itís still closed I really like the water pressure there!

But I get your larger point and agree.
Old Jun 22, 22, 6:50 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + UA Plat + AS MVP 75k Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
I dropped my UC membership 6 years ago because I was moving overseas and I could see which way the wind was blowing with the UC - not in a good direction. For the past 6 years I've used a combination of PP lounges and *G lounges, and I haven't missed the UC one bit.
Honestly I remain quite happy with Life UC membership and Presidential Plus credit card. I get most of the benefits of Gold status for in incremental $99/year. Although Iím still a Platinum, Iím switching my business to Alaska and it is nice to have a second program as a backup. I still love lounge access when connecting during the inevitable IRROPS in Chicago, and while overseas.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
We spent two hours in the LAX club recently (on a Monday late morning). Wasnít crowded at all. Great experience and I was happy I had my Explorer day passes.
Agreed. I have never seen the new LAX full - always plenty of seats. (The old one that was out by 77 was always packed).

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
UA should curtail guest access. Large families are a big contributor.
apart from the new EWR club, not sure what this is referring to. Same garbage at SFO.
a lot of families at SFO including mine but we never have trouble finding seats. IMO I always found IAH (C terminal) to be much worse pre-pandemic and never saw any families in there. Iíd put my money on the OTP as the culprits.

Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
Really? 30 mins? I've never waited that long even at 5pm at the old EWR C74. A line of 6 or 7 deep moved fast at my last visit because no one gets anything fancy - just beer, wine, well.
Iíve seen lines 12 long at SFO (terminal F) that indeed ran 20-30min as the solo barkeep is insufficient particularly with people ordering fancy mixed drinks.

if alcohol is the top priority the Amex lounges (or Escape) are the better call, assuming you can get off the wait list for entry LOL

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Funny, I'm heading the other way from most in this thread, signing up for the Club (via the Chase card) mostly because I'm traveling with kids now, 7 years after ending my prior membership.

Maybe they'll install playgrounds soon...
We found lots of overseas lounges with playrooms for children but they seem to be a rarity in the USA. Still we have always found lounges more essential when traveling with kids. Itís a relative safe space and they love getting their own drinks and snacks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 9:57 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.5MM UC | AA Plat 0.5MM AC | Bonvoy Plat | Hertz PC
I've said this elsewhere in GS discussions but I'm literally moving to AA because of the lounges. As CK on AA I get access to their Flagship lounges even on domestic itineraries. Given the 120 touchpoints I have with an airport lounge in a given year this is easily worth it for me to hop from GS, particularly as an ORD-based flyer (as noted in this thread the UC situation at ORD is miserable despite 3.5 lounges (I don't count C16).
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I’m at LAX now, and it’s very calm and un-crowded. I agree with what other posters have said above. Even when it’s more crowded, I’ve never had trouble finding a seat or an empty table inside (or on the outdoor patio, when I’m feeling it). Maybe I’ve just been lucky?
Flying Machine, ARR72 and quikj like this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
i will miss the NRT UC showers though when I pass through soon - itís still closed I really like the water pressure there!

But I get your larger point and agree.
The one time I was flying UA out of NRT I realized that I had access to either the UC or the ANA lounge, and just assumed the Japanese airline would have the better lounge so I went there. I have no idea if I was correct or not.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Not a single other passenger in PDXís club for over an hour this afternoon. Some clubs are more crowded than others but never had a problem getting a seat flying out of SFO or in trips to EWR, LAS, SAN, ATL, DFW, IAH, or PDX. Guess it helps traveling on leisure days.
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 8:46 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
The one time I was flying UA out of NRT I realized that I had access to either the UC or the ANA lounge, and just assumed the Japanese airline would have the better lounge so I went there. I have no idea if I was correct or not.
Speaking from pre-pandemic experience, the ANA lounge at NRT was not any better than the UC, IMO. ANA lounges in general are not that great.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One View Post
Speaking from pre-pandemic experience, the ANA lounge at NRT was not any better than the UC, IMO. ANA lounges in general are not that great.
I also preferred the UC, though I did like NH's noodle bar.

My biggest with UCs isn't crowding, it's the low quality of the food and the overall cheapness (like the smallest cups and glasses of any lounge). I think whether crowding is issue depends on which clubs you frequent.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and zombietooth like this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 9:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond
It's clear to me that part of the crowding issue is a result of UA figuring out that there's incremental revenue to be had with no extra expenses (well, hardly any - the F&B costs something) by selling day passes as an add-on to flights. I wonder if they are smart enough to know at what times each lounge is already at capacity, and not offer the day passes to passengers departing on flights where their visit would likely coincide with the busy times? That would allow them to still get much of the incremental revenue without completely filling up the lounges.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
The UCs must be underutilized, just received an email offer for a 35% discount on UC memberships.
Old Jun 27, 22, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
The UCs must be underutilized, just received an email offer for a 35% discount on UC memberships.
Yep, UA discounting that excess inventory . . . .

Does this remind anyone else of one of those "how many clowns can you fit in a Volkswagen" sketches?
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Whatís the net subscription price for one year after discount? And for what status level?
Old Jun 27, 22, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Plat 52,000 miles
1K 48,750 miles
All others 55,250 miles
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
It's clear to me that part of the crowding issue is a result of UA figuring out that there's incremental revenue to be had with no extra expenses (well, hardly any - the F&B costs something) by selling day passes as an add-on to flights. I wonder if they are smart enough to know at what times each lounge is already at capacity, and not offer the day passes to passengers departing on flights where their visit would likely coincide with the busy times? That would allow them to still get much of the incremental revenue without completely filling up the lounges.
They absolutely know or should know. Was talking to the staffer at a club last week and they told me that particular club was pretty much dead 4 days a week and completely packed on the other 3. United could definitely pick up extra revenue by discounting day passes or something for those dead days or even contracting it out to Priority Pass or something (not that I want them to do that as I enjoyed the empty club).

Search this Thread