Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United partners with Impossible Foods to bring vegan options to Domestic F and PL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United partners with Impossible Foods to bring vegan options to Domestic F and PL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by correction
https://impossiblefoods.com/heme

It’s made with genetically engineered yeast.
Sounds like a bloody mess.

David
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
https://impossiblefoods.com/heme

It’s made with genetically engineered yeast.
Was unaware of that
Whether that is a reason to be concern is better left to other forums.
leftysauce likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I try to avoid genetically modified foods. I have issues with the fake blood (heme) they include in those Impossible monstrosities. I'm just waiting for United to start serving bugs.

Exactly. If United hopes to fly in the new order airspace, they will serve ze bugs.
Passengers: “Hey United, how about improving food offerings.”

United: *crickets*
correction and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I don't believe Impossible meats are "generically" modified. They are plant substitutes. That is something every different
Originally Posted by prestonh
Errr...genetically engineered plants and proteins converted with yeast...which is a fungi not a plant.
And not even fully plant substitutes but from yeast which is kingdom fungi.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Love the zestiness of the sauce…United’s got a winner with the meatballs
za’atar’s gotta go though !!
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trm2
Passengers: “Hey United, how about improving food offerings.”

United: *crickets*
I might consider actual crickets before Impossible anything but I'd really just like honest beef, pork, chicken, or fish done well with tasty sides. The faux meat costs more than actual meat and caters to a small minority. One would think a cost-conscious management would think about that.
Nanagose likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
The faux meat costs more than actual meat and caters to a small minority. One would think a cost-conscious management would think about that.
I suspect both Delta and UA have sweetheart deals and huge discounts with Impossible hoping they are getting new consumers on a longer term basis with passengers trying these offerings. Impossible likely hopes a passenger getting this as a free meal will sway them to be a paying customer in the future at a grocery store or restaurant.
SPN Lifer, EWR764 and Nanagose like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
As a meat eater who’s had both options, I’ll take the fake meatballs over that bland Zaatar Chicken any day.
Just want to be perfectly clear since my post was moved to this thread...
By no means do I think these fake meatballs are "good". They taste like cafeteria meatballs with tons of filler in them with a bland red sauce. Just better than that dried up chicken IMO
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:09 am

Can UA just make and serve good, wholesome, non-gimmicky, tasty food? Seriously.

Frankly I hate these substitute fake meat products. If I wanted a vegetarian dish, I'd go cook up some vegetables. The less processed a food is, the better in my book.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I liked the Impossible meatballs... not because they were a plant-based gimmick, but because it was actually a reasonably tasty dish (all things considered... it IS airline food). If the Impossible meatballs were subbed out in favor of regular beef meatballs, I'd order that too. Strongly preferable to the za'atar chicken, IMO, which is a big miss.

(please don't show this post to my 87-year-old Italian grandmother. She would probably shoot me for saying anything positive about meatballs she didn't cook)
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t find the plant based beef to be anything close to real the real stuff. There is one brand of plant based chicken strips that is close.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
I don’t find the plant based beef to be anything close to real the real stuff. There is one brand of plant based chicken strips that is close.
And the amount of sodium and all sorts of crap that they put in these fake meat products to make them taste palatable (let's face it, meat tastes good) is enough to stop an elephant's heart.

Just like the "fat free" products that are pumped full of sugar or worse to make them palatable.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stupidhead
And the amount of sodium and all sorts of crap that they put in these fake meat products to make them taste palatable (let's face it, meat tastes good) is enough to stop an elephant's heart.

Just like the "fat free" products that are pumped full of sugar or worse to make them palatable.
Definitely do not want to look at the nutrition labels on those packages.

Recently saw some reduced fat/calories cookies that were 50% less than the normal cookies. They achieved the reduction by reducing the serving size.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stupidhead

Well - a 1/4 pound impossible burger has 370mg of sodium - while the average airline meal has 800mg of sodium.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by travelinghiker
I opted for the impossible bowl on one flight next week and chicken on the other. Multiple people have said the impossible bowl is good, so we’ll see. But yes, it’s annoying I haven’t had any of the other options at all! Isn’t that the point of preordering? Then if you don’t preorder they can bring a couple extra of those two on board or something
We decided to try the impossible meatballs on our first flight last week and it was truly abysmal. I ate half of one meatball and sent it back. My wife ate 2 of the meatballs and had an upset stomach the rest of the day. We ended-up getting the Muddy Bites in lieu of meals on the rest of our flights last week. I'd never had them before and they were good. See here: https://www.muddybites.com

I honestly don't understand the concept of vegan meat. There are plenty of delicious vegetarian dishes so why try to copy meat by making fake burgers, etc. --especially since there is no real health benefit over a burger from a calories and fat perspective?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.