Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 33 NRT-LAX 6/14 diverts to HNL due to disruptive passenger

UA 33 NRT-LAX 6/14 diverts to HNL due to disruptive passenger

Old Jun 15, 22, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by zeus2120 View Post
Surprised they diverted to HNL for that. How much further would it have been to just continue to LAX? 3 hours to get to HNL and 4.5 to get to LAX? 3 hours is still a long time.
From the helpful gcmap link posted above (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34336990-post13.html), it is a little more than double the distance to LAX from the diversion point.
zeus2120 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
Flat relative to what? Mercator? Great circle? This flight was pretty much on the pacific track prior to diversion which had a partial circle component to it.
Flat as in closer to following a constant latitude than the great circle route.

As opposed to the westbound flights that fly well north of the great circle route to avoid the winds.
Old Jun 15, 22, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Technically great circle is 'flat' distance wise on a sphere. So I'm not sure I understand what flat means in this reference
I think most of us who are familiar with the westbound routing, which skirts the Aleutians, know exactly what mduell was referring to.
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Yep. Fewer rungs on the ladder.
Old Jun 15, 22, 10:13 am

So disappointing to read things like this. What is wrong with people these days? You are not special!!! No arrests made....why?

State sheriff deputies who responded to the scene did not make any arrests relating to the incident.
Old Jun 15, 22, 10:31 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Yeah looks like crew timed out and they're waiting for them to achieve adequate rest before continuing as opposed to ferrying another crew in to operate a recovery flight (either don't have crew to spare [at least a few probably need to be language qualified given this originated in NRT] or want to incur the cost of displacing passengers to deadhead a crew).
Deadheading a crew would likely take longer than having the original crew rest.

There is no pilot base in HNL (or ANC) so you have to get a crew from a domestic domicile, likely SFO or LAX. The duty time will be challenging for a DH HNL then fly back immediately. To get pilots who can report quickly you have to use either a field standby or short-call reserve. Those pilot's duty clocks have already begun prior to being called. Then you need a flight to HNL that leaves at just the right time for the reserves to get to the airport and leave without any wasted time. If all of that doesn't line up just right then the crew will have to have a rest period in HNL before flying back and the original crew will be ready and rested much sooner.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Flights are routinely planned on routes which are not the shortest route due to ATC requirements and because of wind patterns. On a flight like this, a much longer route with a strong tailwind can easily be fewer "air miles" than the great-circle (shortest ground-miles) route.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
There is no pilot base in HNL (or ANC) so you have to get a crew from a domestic domicile, likely SFO or LAX. The duty time will be challenging for a DH HNL then fly back immediately. To get pilots who can report quickly you have to use either a field standby or short-call reserve. Those pilot's duty clocks have already begun prior to being called. Then you need a flight to HNL that leaves at just the right time for the reserves to get to the airport and leave without any wasted time. If all of that doesn't line up just right then the crew will have to have a rest period in HNL before flying back and the original crew will be ready and rested much sooner.
Out of curiosity, if say a crew operating a regular ex-HNL flight timed out for whatever reason, would that similarly mean there would not be any available crew to replace them right away?
Old Jun 15, 22, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Out of curiosity, if say a crew operating a regular ex-HNL flight timed out for whatever reason, would that similarly mean there would not be any available crew to replace them right away?
The answer is of course it depends. Sometimes the airline will just deck the crew for rest and continue on the next day, however if possible airline will move a crew from one flight to another in-order to keep the operation going. However when airlines poach crews from other flights, the end result is that the "can is just kicked down the road" and the flight the replacement crew were on now has to be recrewed.

There is no right answer here, it's a question of overall network stability versus immediate completion factor.
PTahCha and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 11:41 am
J S

Technically great circle is 'flat' distance wise on a sphere. So I'm not sure I understand what flat means in this reference
I think we all know what they mean: More southerly than the GC route. This appears straighter when viewed on a distorted mercator projection map. The GC route passes closer to the Aleutian Islands.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I would think that would present a significant challenge - but I suspect a timed out crew in HNL is a very rare occurrence - I don't recall it happening at least in my experience.
Old Jun 15, 22, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Crews on flights departing HNL are originating. They are coming off of rest so they have their entire duty day ahead of them. It would take a significant delay to cause them to time out before departure.

If one did, it would likely be for a long flight requiring many hours of availability remaining at takeoff. The easy solution for that is to redispatch the flight to SFO or LAX and recrew it there.
jsloan, wrp96 and findark like this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.024MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Select; WoH Dis
According to https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...ulu-diversion/, the incident was categorized as Threat Level 2 - Physically abusive behavior. I hope it ends like this: https://onemileatatime.com/man-force...for-diversion/
Old Jun 15, 22, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
No arrests made? No comment on passenger?
Old Jun 15, 22, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PushingTin View Post
No arrests made? No comment on passenger?
I've tried, but can't get anything more out of UA.

I have a feeling in a day or two we'll see video pop up on TMZ or the DailyMail or some such site...
Old Jun 15, 22, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Need more security on the aircraft.

Replacement flight same aircraft UA 3016 landing LAX shortly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 15, 22 at 6:47 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 15, 22, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post

I have a feeling in a day or two we'll see video pop up on TMZ or the DailyMail or some such site...
I’d like to see a picture of the invoice from UA to the offender for the cost of the diversion (fuel, crew, landing fees, hotels, passenger compensation, ….)

Search this Thread