Wiki Posts
Search

UA#43 OGG to EWR 8/7/22 Cant Book

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Question UA#43 OGG to EWR 8/7/22 Cant Book

This is odd.

I booked OGG to EWR direct on UA 43; leaving Sun 8/7 at 235PM and landing at EWR 8/8/22 at 604am.

The flight is in my reservations.

When, I check to book it as if I wanted a new ticket, either money or miles, the flight does not appear in any search results.

What is going on?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sold out. I'm guessing this got downgauged to 76L at some point.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

not sold out, seats available in first.

What does that mean? Are they swapping out the Polaris Seats in First for something worse?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 14, 2022 at 7:27 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by playsccr
What does that mean? Are they swapping out the Polaris Seats in First for something worse?
They seem to be capping the flight at 28 J seats for sale to allow for equipment swaps to the Domestic 772 PW engines that are coming back online. Avoids a lot of issues. As the equipment is solidified then the inventory will flip, most likely.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick response.

Should I try and call and try to get on UA348 to OGG to ORD to CLE. So I know what kind of seats I will get since I spend a ton of money and points to ensure the seats I want??? Thank you in advance. I do not want to get screwed in OGG 2 hours before my flight. Thank you.

Final destination is CLE.

I was originally going OGG to EWR to CLE.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by greenpau
They seem to be capping the flight at 28 J seats for sale to allow for equipment swaps to the Domestic 772 PW engines that are coming back online. Avoids a lot of issues. As the equipment is solidified then the inventory will flip, most likely.
But if this is the case these is no point to block economy sales as well?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
All of the Hawaii flights are subject to aircraft type swaps, changing your connection point doesn't change this. They're all lie-flats, with varying pros and cons.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gokeeper
But if this is the case these is no point to block economy sales as well?
Good point, and I had a chance to look into this and ask a UA friend a question. Simply put, they are not certain they are going to run the flight in July and August. It is not loaded at all for September, October. They are holding the bookings they currently have for July and August, but not selling any more tickets until the choice is made.
gokeeper and Nanagose like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greenpau
Good point, and I had a chance to look into this and ask a UA friend a question. Simply put, they are not certain they are going to run the flight in July and August. It is not loaded at all for September, October. They are holding the bookings they currently have for July and August, but not selling any more tickets until the choice is made.
what should I do then? I called an agent and asked to change flights for no charge and they were zero help. They said there is no problem with the flights, so they will not do anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciative.

Last edited by playsccr; Jun 14, 2022 at 4:42 pm
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Don't do anything until there's an actual problem with your reservation.
jsloan and artvandalay like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The route is not marketed as Polaris, so you didn’t buy Polaris seats. You bought lie-flat seats that happen to be on a Polaris-equipped a/c. Pre-pandemic, EWR-HNL was run regularly with a 764 w/ CO’s BusinessFirst seats. The pandemic caused a bunch of Polaris-equipped planes to be available and Hawaii got some of them - to HNL and new OGG route. There’s a chance you may get a non-Polaris plane, but still with lie-flats. UA may cancel EWR-OGG altogether and distribute the passengers via other routings. You will definitely be able to get a refund at that point. Until UA makes a decision, there’s not much that can be done. Trying to hedge your bet before UA firms the plan might require a voluntary route /ticket change on your part, though there might be a difference in fare. I’d wait to see what happens.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should I try and call and try to get on UA348 to OGG to ORD to CLE. So I know what kind of seats I will get since I spend a ton of money and points to ensure the seats I want???
The same thing could easily happen to the OGG-ORD flight. There is nothing that you can do to "ensure the seats you want," because United does not promise any particular seats. Your seat assignment isn't even guaranteed, let alone plane configuration.

If you absolutely have to know the kind of seats you'll have prior to flight, you need an airline that only flies one kind of seats.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just for my context, was this OGG-EWR always a 76L?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
not sold out, seats available in first.
Seat maps are not an indicator of load or availability. Many people don't bother with seat assignments until checkin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
EWR-OGG will be a 763 of some type (76A, 76L). The 764 won’t do the OGG-EWR return.

Cap on F would be related to a swap to 30J 76A (29 seats for sale) or oversale in Y/PE.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.