Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent: 6/15/22 flight-no boarding pass!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I agree that it's most likely SSSS. I've seen it before on UA, AA, DL, BA and OZ and virtually every time I'm actually checked in but can't get a BP until I see somebody. An unfortunate side effect seems to be that I can't get a mobile BP on any of the connections as well as the original departure. IAH TSA wanted to send me through regular screening because of SSSS even with Pre-Check on the BP and my Navy ID. Supervisor took me over the Pre-Check and the computer said "You're good to go" and I was sent through Pre-Check. Supervisor didn't seem too happy with the initial screener rejecting my BP without scanning, since things were already backed up due fairly long slow lines and they didn't want to add any more load to the regular lines when Trusted Travelers aren't selected for extra security.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by ttuna3
I agree that it's most likely SSSS. I've seen it before on UA, AA, DL, BA and OZ and virtually every time I'm actually checked in but can't get a BP until I see somebody. An unfortunate side effect seems to be that I can't get a mobile BP on any of the connections as well as the original departure. IAH TSA wanted to send me through regular screening because of SSSS even with Pre-Check on the BP and my Navy ID. Supervisor took me over the Pre-Check and the computer said "You're good to go" and I was sent through Pre-Check. Supervisor didn't seem too happy with the initial screener rejecting my BP without scanning, since things were already backed up due fairly long slow lines and they didn't want to add any more load to the regular lines when Trusted Travelers aren't selected for extra security.
I'm an AA flyer, not UA, nit I didn't think it possible to have both SSSS and Precheck on the same boarding pass. Indeed, that field enbedded in the PDF-417 code is a single character. Last I saw, it had four possible values: Reg, SSSS, Pre-check and even a value for No-Fly. But that was a couple of years ago. (Of course, I've had SSSS on an INTL return, and that carries forward to all connecting BPs - but with AA I was always able to have the BPs reprinted on arrival in the US for my connecting flights with Precheck back in INSTEAD of SSSS.)
Or, perhaps you are saying an agent manually wrote SSSS on your BP that was printed PreCheck?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pbh220
Very early flight, concerned that counter wont be open to get boarding pass.
As above, don't be concerned. The counter will be open.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question for the UA forum--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...leageplus-681/
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I never understood what SSS stood for

is nit like Super Secret Special Security ?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I am pre-check global entry and l and have received the SSSS on more than one occassion. No big deal other than an additional screening and not getting the boarding pass until the airport.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mander
I am pre-check global entry and l and have received the SSSS on more than one occassion. No big deal other than an additional screening and not getting the boarding pass until the airport.
You pre-check is gone as well for any US connecting flight ... that usually is the greatest hassle
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I never understood what SSS stood for
"secondary security screening selection"
SPN Lifer and Air Houston like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:01 pm
J S

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I'm an AA flyer, not UA, nit I didn't think it possible to have both SSSS and Precheck on the same boarding pass. Indeed, that field enbedded in the PDF-417 code is a single character. Last I saw, it had four possible values: Reg, SSSS, Pre-check and even a value for No-Fly. But that was a couple of years ago. (Of course, I've had SSSS on an INTL return, and that carries forward to all connecting BPs - but with AA I was always able to have the BPs reprinted on arrival in the US for my connecting flights with Precheck back in INSTEAD of SSSS.)
Or, perhaps you are saying an agent manually wrote SSSS on your BP that was printed PreCheck?
I had this on Delta once: SSSS and Precheck printed on the same BP.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:02 pm
J S

Originally Posted by cfischer
You pre-check is gone as well for any US connecting flight ... that usually is the greatest hassle
At least on AA, you can go to the counter and reprint the connecting boarding pass with Pre-check.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:04 pm
J S

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
How would there be a character on a BP for no-fly? Wouldn't that prevent the BP from being printed?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never gotten SSSS but I've also never once managed to get OLCI to work on a UA international flight. I don't even try any more; I just check in when I check my bag.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by J S
How would there be a character on a BP for no-fly? Wouldn't that prevent the BP from being printed?
I have no idea. I just recall there was in fact a numeric value that was documented as "No Fly" in the IATA docs for BPs. I suspect it was never used. The whole doc used to be publically available - I found it via a Google search at the time.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
Not just international, but I flew RIC to IAD yesterday, and am flying IAD to MCI today. Able to check in online, but unable to load/print/post BPmto iPhone wallet. Advised to check in at kiosk prior to flight. Called premier line and was advised of same. She did say my TSA precheck was not entered for this leg of multi city flight???? Checked in no issues, and have already checked in for return flights on DL and posted BPs into wallet. Wonder if it had anything to do with my SSSS on Lufthansa last Wednesday FRA to ATL. Did not impact my GE clearance fortunately!
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by J S
At least on AA, you can go to the counter and reprint the connecting boarding pass with Pre-check.
UA used to be the same, even a kiosk would work. I don't know if it's still the case as thanks to a TRIP (Traveler Redress Inquiry Program) I've thankfully managed to avoid SSSS for the past several years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.