Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Regular evening EWR departure delays Spring / Summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I noticed UA138 (EWR-KEF) is delayed every single day, usually 1.5 hours but the equipment usually arrives on time.

Any theories as to why?

G​
Old May 17, 2022, 5:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
IME, when TATL flights leave late and arrive on time, it's to avoid having aircraft circling to wait for a landing slot, or sitting on the ground at an outstation for longer than scheduled. This is quite common for early evening departures to LHR, where an airline doesn't want to risk arriving before the curfew lifts and either take a quota hit for a pre-06:00 arrival or waste fuel waiting for the clock to tick over. My guess is that there may be gate/apron contention at KEF at the specific time they are scheduled to be there, so they want to use their space for only as long as they need to. Just a guess.
jsloan and higher_flyer like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:53 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Microwave
IME, when TATL flights leave late and arrive on time, it's to avoid having aircraft circling to wait for a landing slot, or sitting on the ground at an outstation for longer than scheduled. This is quite common for early evening departures to LHR, where an airline doesn't want to risk arriving before the curfew lifts and either take a quota hit for a pre-06:00 arrival or waste fuel waiting for the clock to tick over. My guess is that there may be gate/apron contention at KEF at the specific time they are scheduled to be there, so they want to use their space for only as long as they need to. Just a guess.
Does not appear to be the case here, as indeed, this thing arrives severely late, daily. FlightAware shows ONE in the last 10 flights arriving within 30 mins of the scheduled arrival...But like the OP says, 8 of the last 10 days it's been HOURS late. Good hypothesis, but for these flights.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Ah I misread the OP, I thought the point was the flight departs late but arrives on time—"the equipment usually arrives on time" is what threw me off.
MatthewLAX and chavala like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by grafixx
Hi,

I noticed UA138 (EWR-KEF) is delayed every single day, usually 1.5 hours but the equipment usually arrives on time.

Any theories as to why?

G​
ConnectionSaver?
DELee likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Microwave
I would agree -- KEF is undergoing construction for an expansion -- and UA139 -- the return flight -- seems to pretty much always be on time -- so the inbound being late does minimize ground time at KEF....
Old May 17, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Does not appear to be the case here, as indeed, this thing arrives severely late, daily. FlightAware shows ONE in the last 10 flights arriving within 30 mins of the scheduled arrival...But like the OP says, 8 of the last 10 days it's been HOURS late. Good hypothesis, but for these flights.
Good detective work. Any insights as to other flights into KEF for other airlines?

David
Old May 17, 2022, 9:08 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Good detective work. Any insights as to other flights into KEF for other airlines?

David
Sorry, I'm not all that well versed in FlightAware beyond simple airport/tail number/flight number searches!

But to figure out further what's going on, watch the flight status daily before departure on UA's app/website. There will probably be a reason listed for the delay--which may or may not be 100% factual, but might shed some insight.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I'm not all that well versed in FlightAware beyond simple airport/tail number/flight number searches!

But to figure out further what's going on, watch the flight status daily before departure on UA's app/website. There will probably be a reason listed for the delay--which may or may not be 100% factual, but might shed some insight.
Understood - will be interesting to see going forward - especially this summer.

David
Old May 17, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
There will probably be a reason listed for the delay--which may or may not be 100% factual, but might shed some insight.
I looked back at the flights through mid-week last week. The delay reason was different each night. I didn't see any pattern to it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I looked back at the flights through mid-week last week. The delay reason was different each night. I didn't see any pattern to it.
It often appears the reasons for delay are what the very last reason might have been. For example... if the flight waits 30 minutes or so for passengers and then another five minutes to load those passengers' bags, the reason will be a delay due to baggage loading.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It often appears the reasons for delay are what the very last reason might have been. For example... if the flight waits 30 minutes or so for passengers and then another five minutes to load those passengers' bags, the reason will be a delay due to baggage loading.
Must be a lot of baggage.

David
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:20 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Originally Posted by DELee
Must be a lot of baggage.

David
...Or, those pax beat their bags to the connecting flight. Could just be for one bag loading--looks crazy on the surface, but multiple delay reasons don't code for our view as such--just the last reason. Another interesting one is I've had 2, 3, 4 hour delays that end up listing "it took us longer to load passengers than expected" (or something like that) when we were simply waiting out a mechanical delay. Yeah, it maybe took 5 minutes beyond the 4-hour mechanical delay, but the flight will show and code, as mentioned above, as the last thing that caused a delay.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I wasn't looking at the last reason displayed on the app.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
In the last 10 days, only Atlantic Airways (FLI) is doing worse at BIKF. Negative is arriving early, positive is arriving late.

Code:
 airline |  arrival_delay   
---------+------------------
 BAW     | -00:05:06
 BTI     |  00:23:24
 DAL     | -00:09:52
 DLH     |  00:08:42
 EDW     |  00:18:00
 EZY     | -00:04:59
 FIN     | -00:11:18
 FLI     |  02:33:45
 FPY     | -00:09:10
 GRL     |  00:36:00
 ICE     |  00:01:13
 NOS     |  00:17:00
 NOZ     | -00:13:00
 SAS     |  00:17:00
 TRA     |  00:08:08
 TVF     |  00:04:08
 UAL     |  01:18:18
 VLG     |  00:01:24
 WUK     |  00:05:12
 WZZ     |  00:06:01.25

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.