Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incorrect miles credited on international trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

Flew to MNL from the US and was credited a grand total of 2133 miles. It should have been 13, 788. The base fare for each leg was not even close. I spent about 45 minutes untangling this. My traveling companion's mileage was also incorrect. Just a head's up to check the mileage credited.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by manneca
Flew to MNL from the US and was credited a grand total of 2133 miles. It should have been 13, 788. The base fare for each leg was not even close. I spent about 45 minutes untangling this. My traveling companion's mileage was also incorrect. Just a head's up to check the mileage credited.
I think this problem is widespread because I've flown ~72,000 BIS miles so far this year and have only been credited for ~28,000. Since it only matters for your lifetime miles calculation, I don't really care and haven't called in, but others should keep an eye on this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
without more details ... hard to tell if true or what might be going on. OP, please post the ticket details, operating airlines etc. Was this a 016 ticket?

w/o irops and other ticket exchanges it is extremely uncommon to see errors in the way miles are crediting.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
OP, sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about BIS miles, but it looks like you're concerned about RDM. My BIS miles have been off for a while now.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
016 ticket. Booked on UA.com if it matters. All flights but one were UA other flight was ANA. There was IRROPs--the first leg was cancelled and we rebooked from a different city because, bless their little hearts, the earliest UA could get us out from the original city was 5 days later. All miles were incorrect.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
other flight was ANA.
There was IRROPs--the first leg was cancelled and we rebooked
Both of these throw wrinkles into things, without detail... its going to be impossible to divine what the proper mileage should be.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

016 ticket. Booked on UA.com if it matters. All flights but one were UA other flight was ANA. There was IRROPs--the first leg was cancelled and we rebooked from a different city because, bless their little hearts, the earliest UA could get us out from the original city was 5 days later. All miles were incorrect.
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Both of these throw wrinkles into things, without detail... its going to be impossible to divine what the proper mileage should be.
If it is 016 ticketed the award miles for all segments together should be airfare * status-multiplier (5, 7, 8, 9, 11), no matter what happened with IRROPS. However, due to the IRROPS, it will likely need to be adjusted manually. Contact MPSC for that.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like OP already solved this and was issuing this as a PSA.

(I am surprised that it took 45 minutes to straighten this out, though, as it should have been extremely straightforward).

Earnings normally post flawlessly. However, when there's an issue, IRROPS are usually to blame, and that sounds like what happened here. While I do keep a spreadsheet for planning purposes, I've only ever had one itinerary where the numbers didn't match up and it wasn't due to IRROPS.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
(I am surprised that it took 45 minutes to straighten this out, though, as it should have been extremely straightforward).
Took me 40 min on the phone with MPSC last week to get credit for a UA-ticketed LH segment with no IRROPS. They're not doing very well.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is everyone on the phone for 40+ minutes A simple 1 line Email to MP is getting this fixed,
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
It sounds like OP already solved this and was issuing this as a PSA.

Earnings normally post flawlessly. However, when there's an issue, IRROPS are usually to blame, and that sounds like what happened here. While I do keep a spreadsheet for planning purposes, I've only ever had one itinerary where the numbers didn't match up and it wasn't due to IRROPS.
Originally Posted by mduell
Took me 40 min on the phone with MPSC last week to get credit for a UA-ticketed LH segment with no IRROPS. They're not doing very well.
Originally Posted by cfischer
Why is everyone on the phone for 40+ minutes A simple 1 line Email to MP is getting this fixed,
I agree, I don't do this by phone, since a simple note identifying the PNR & flight(s) has always been adequate in my experience, and I don't mind it happening in the background over a week or two.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
You think they're spending 40 minutes on resolving issues emailed in? lol, submissions through the missing mileage form or email are in eternal purgatory/ignored.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
You think they're spending 40 minutes on resolving issues emailed in? lol, submissions through the missing mileage form or email are in eternal purgatory/ignored.
no, they are clearly wasting 40+ minutes of their time to resolve something that a simple 1-line Email will do. They are not ignored in my case, I have probably 2-3 a year that need fixing usually due to ticket re-issues for LH upgrades. I send an Email and a few weeks later I get a reply that it has been fixed. A lot better than spending a long time on the phone IMO. Maybe it is just me, but my time has some value to me
StuMcIlwain and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.