FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Polaris on 787’s (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2082825-ua-polaris-787-s.html)

ainternational Jun 12, 2022 5:56 pm

UA Polaris on 787’s

Sorry if this belongs in another thread but can I just say how horrible, terrible and uncomfortable fishbone Polaris seats are? I’m not even tall - short really - and I barely fit. I can’t imagine how all of you who approach 6 feet or more can even lay down. The seats are so narrow and I feel like I’m spilling out into the aisle constantly despite being pretty trim. There is little storage space but the seats themselves are the real problem. Truly the most uncomfortable seats I fly TPAC. I’m switching back to ANA full time I think after a horrible recent trip on UA 837/838. NH is flying the 777 with new J ex SFO with doors on J seats and they are double the width (or feel that way, if not more than double) of UA. I just can’t believe how terrible the United biz product has become hard product wise.

Anyone know when they are due to upgrade 787’s?

Am I off base here? What do you all think?

mduell Jun 12, 2022 6:22 pm

Squeeze a 777 product into a 787, just like the did with the prior gen, and it's always real right.

But by god, it's checked the "aisle access" and "privacy" boxes, so it's what we've got for the next decade.

nexus7556 Jun 12, 2022 6:39 pm

I'm 5'10" and have a BMI of 32 (obese). I am comfortable in the seat, the only place I don't like is the foot well when sleeping. It can be tight down there.

FormerLurker Jun 12, 2022 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational (Post 34330337)
Am I off base here? What do you all think?

I agree wholeheartedly - I have only flown Polaris on the 787s but I now actively avoid it. Next two TATLs are on OS because of Polaris.

hirohito888 Jun 12, 2022 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by FormerLurker (Post 34330434)
I agree wholeheartedly - I have only flown Polaris on the 787s but I now actively avoid it. Next two TATLs are on OS because of Polaris.

Not sure how the hard product on OS beats UA. OS J on 777 is 50cm width while UA Polaris on 787 is 52cm width. Also OS is even more densely configured and not all seats are aisle access.

As for OP, the issue with the NH 77W is that they only have 9 out 15 with new seats and the main routes that fly them, TYO-JFK/FRA/LHR, already takes up 8 aircraft. I don't even think NH has fully dedicated routes with the new seats. NRT-SFO has 77W scheduled through 29OCT22 and seat map shows old J seatmap.

h2oflyboy Jun 12, 2022 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by nexus7556 (Post 34330406)
I'm 5'10" and have a BMI of 32 (obese). I am comfortable in the seat, the only place I don't like is the foot well when sleeping. It can be tight down there.

The first rows in each cabin of Polaris do not have a slanted footwell - see United Flight Information (seatguru.com) while it is closer to the galleys and lavs it can be more comfortable for us stocky (not obese) travelers.

artvandalay Jun 12, 2022 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888 (Post 34330526)
Not sure how the hard product on OS beats UA. OS J on 777 is 50cm width while UA Polaris on 787 is 52cm width. Also OS is even more densely configured and not all seats are aisle access.

As for OP, the issue with the NH 77W is that they only have 9 out 15 with new seats and the main routes that fly them, TYO-JFK/FRA/LHR, already takes up 8 aircraft. I don't even think NH has fully dedicated routes with the new seats. NRT-SFO has 77W scheduled through 29OCT22 and seat map shows old J seatmap.

For some, inflight service has greater value than 2 cm of seat width.
NH is not the only carrier playing musical chairs with AC swaps or configurations.

PTahCha Jun 12, 2022 11:24 pm

So you're comparing a business class seat on the 787 vs. a business class seat on the 777 with a wider fuselage. Of course there will be a difference.

jp12687 Jun 13, 2022 3:49 am

They would have been better off (for us riders) doing the old 767 configuration of 2-1-2 vs 2-2-2.

rhat said it’s still a very comfortable product. I wish it had a bit more width like the 777 but it’s still better then a lot of other options and on my recent EWr-ATH flight I slept well in them

UA_Flyer Jun 13, 2022 4:36 am

Originally Posted by FormerLurker (Post 34330434)

OS is my favoriate European airlines despite its horrible seats on long haul aircrafts. That is the only complain I have about OS.
My perfect world would be OS catering, SQ services and Polaris seats (for sleeping and seat comfort) in *A, IMHO.

Kmxu Jun 13, 2022 4:52 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 34331213)
OS is my favoriate European airlines despite its horrible seats on long haul aircrafts. That is the only complains I have about OS.
My perfect world would be OS catering, SQ services and Polaris seats (for sleeping and seat comfort) in *A, IMHO.

Do you want to be CEO of United? You can hire the catering guy from OS and the inflight service head from SQ. 😄

UA_Flyer Jun 13, 2022 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 34331243)
Do you want to be CEO of United? You can hire the catering guy from OS and the inflight service head from SQ. 😄

I am best being a customer. :)

These are my three most flown airlines (by choice and preference). Nothing is perfect in this world, unfortunately.

hirohito888 Jun 13, 2022 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by artvandalay (Post 34330784)
For some, inflight service has greater value than 2 cm of seat width.
NH is not the only carrier playing musical chairs with AC swaps or configurations.

Yes but the fact that NH does not have enough reconfigured 77W with new J to reliably serve all their routes limits the options that the OP has. So for SFO-TYO, OP either has to stick with UA Polaris or fly on old NH J on 77W/787 or get lucky with an odd equipment swap.

greenpau Jun 13, 2022 11:18 pm

I think OP’s experience is in the even numbered angled seats. It’s true that your experience is noticeably different if you are flying in the Odd rows or even rows, as discussed extensively here. UA knew at the time of rollout that the forward-facing seats would likely be preferred.

I’m a big fan of the seat, and I think that almost every time I fly it. I also think we’ll see smart evolutions on the seat over the next few years - despite the numerous (many?) soft service problems at the moment, it’s the one area we know UA will invest, and they have talented people running the seat, cabin design, and inflight entertainment programs.

IADdelayed Jun 14, 2022 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau (Post 34334010)
I think OP’s experience is in the even numbered angled seats.

That would be my guess too. I love the [odd numbered] Polaris seats (privacy!). In comparison to LH where there is zero privacy, not all aisle access, and a very uncomfortable footsie issue.

At 6' tall, I have no problems sleeping in the odd numbered Polaris seats. Haven't tried the even numbered seats; they do look rather tight and no real storage space. For the odd numbered seats, the entry opening makes a great place to put your backpack or other personal item.

Definitely noticed the width difference between the 78X seats vs the 772 and 77W though. The 78X may be "nicer" and have lower cabin pressure, but I'll take the old 772 anyday.