Swaps from True Polaris to 772HD

Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Gold, Southwest A-List/Companion Pass
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Surely you must be aware that BA is particularly prone to swap equipment, which can be a pain when you go from the new Club Suites to old style Club World seats. But no bait and switch here.
Indeed, but I've only been privy to OP-UPs on BA, never an OP-DOWN.

(many OP-UPs in fact, significantly more than I've had across all US carriers combined despite being based in SFO!)
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
The older seat is less private but much more comfortable. In any event, won't UA work with people if your equipment type changes i.e. 777 to 757... but not a change within type i.e. 777 To 777Hd?
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
OP, make sure you still have assigned seats. The HD 772 has a lot less seats in the front.

If it's four of you traveling together, still try for two sections of two, but I've flown in the middle section on a LAX-SYD flight and slept for 12 hours, so it could be worse...
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Well, to add to the mystery, they just canceled UA2097, but we were rebooked on UA3042 which.. get this... has the SAME departure time... and TAIL NUMBER (!). Lost our seats, so jumped on and grabbed the row 2 middle for the four of us.

When I called in to inquire, I was told there was an issue with the equipment (?); not the first time I've found call staff to be completely uninformed. After probing they aren't offering meal service on the new flight, which I view as an incentive to get something less disgusting to eat before boarding. Is this typical protocol on how to get away with canceling meal service?

Still, having to deal with all the changes today has been an incredibly stressful experience. Wondering how often UA plays this kind of shell game?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sanfran767
...After probing they aren't offering meal service on the new flight, which I view as an incentive to get something less disgusting to eat before boarding. Is this typical protocol on how to get away with canceling meal service?...
There will be a choice of meals. Ignore the phone agents.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K
Thumbs up luckily...

Originally Posted by cfischer
OP, make sure you still have assigned seats. The HD 772 has a lot less seats in the front.
as of this moment, there are no seats left to sell in FC and the seat map shows 9 unassigned seats.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:56 pm

OK, well thank you for clarifying--I'm less concerned with branding, more with being able to sleep; glad that the old transcon equipment is also lie flat, thank you!
Should be 6’6” length - enjoy!!

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

If it's four of you traveling together, still try for two sections of two, but I've flown in the middle section on a LAX-SYD flight and slept for 12 hours, so it could be worse...
Well, to add to the mystery, they just canceled UA2097, but we were rebooked on UA3042 which.. get this... has the SAME departure time... and TAIL NUMBER (!). Lost our seats, so jumped on and grabbed the row 2 middle for the four of us.

When I called in to inquire, I was told there was an issue with the equipment (?); not the first time I've found call staff to be completely uninformed. After probing they aren't offering meal service on the new flight, which I view as an incentive to get something less disgusting to eat before boarding. Is this typical protocol on how to get away with canceling meal service?

Still, having to deal with all the changes today has been an incredibly stressful experience. Wondering how often UA plays this kind of shell game?
Point of comparison? This airline has low regard for its customers but please name a competitor ON THE SAME ROUTE that has higher regard…

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2022 at 7:56 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The 30xx are replacement flights that need a new flight number. Could be overlap of prior flight segments or something.

Ignore the meal info, they'll follow the UA meal schedule regardless of what the website says.

There's a lot of widebody shuffles going on right now as they reintroduce the PW4000 777 fleet.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
When I called in to inquire, I was told there was an issue with the equipment (?); not the first time I've found call staff to be completely uninformed.
How is the agent "completely uninformed" when a reason had been provided to you? Do you have other information you have proving the agent to be incorrect?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
How is the agent "completely uninformed" when a reason had been provided to you? Do you have other information you have proving the agent to be incorrect?
I am not sure how to resolve being told that the changes were due to operational issues with the equipment (IRROPS), and then discovering there was no change in equipment.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Should be 66 length - enjoy!!

Point of comparison? This airline has low regard for its customers but please name a competitor ON THE SAME ROUTE that has higher regard
Am indeed relieved to know that we're still in a lie flat and not a recliner!

I wouldn't otherwise fly SFO-EWR, but am expecting to confirm based on previous experience with it, that JetBlue Mint provides superior service and product for SFO-JFK.(and honestly, have not encountered this level of shenanigans for SFO-JFK even with AA)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2022 at 10:54 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I am not sure how to resolve being told that the changes were due to operational issues with the equipment (IRROPS), and then discovering there was no change in equipment.
I think there was a breakdown in communication.

The change of equipment was the change from the Polaris aircraft to the non-Polaris aircraft. The cancelation and replacement with a new flight number was done because of the significant difference in the number of seats in each class of service (From 48/11/262 to 0/28/336).
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ

The change of equipment was the change from the Polaris aircraft to the non-Polaris aircraft. The cancelation and replacement with a new flight number was done because of the significant difference in the number of seats in each class of service (From 48/11/262 to 0/28/336).
28/0/336 as-sold.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

Am indeed relieved to know that we're still in a lie flat and not a recliner!

I wouldn't otherwise fly SFO-EWR, but am expecting to confirm based on previous experience with it, that JetBlue Mint provides superior service and product for SFO-JFK.(and honestly, have not encountered this level of shenanigans for SFO-JFK even with AA)
It could have been that originally that the original equipment was not operable when the cancellation happened, but they were able to repair the issue in time for it to operate.

So, besides the seat assignment changes, what's your concern if it's the same configuration and plane type?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ

That's not what happened. The aircraft was changed to N773UA on UA2097 at around 7:30AM Pacific on Sunday. UA2097 was "canceled" at 4:35PM, and UA3042 magically appeared at 4:42PM with the same tail number. Around 5PM, the representative tried to convince me the change was due to IRROPS.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
OP - it's a flight # change, who cares? Also, you found four seats in J next to each other for your family. I'd call it a win-win. Also, you saved sixteen whole minutes on your flight. You should rejoice 2097 is scheduled to depart 9pm and arrive 516am. 3042 is scheduled to depart 9pm and arrive 500am. Enjoy those extra minutes sitting on the ground in EWR as they tell you your gate is occupied

-RM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.