Hawaii J inventory zeroed out overnight?

Old Jun 11, 22, 3:13 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
People are just willing to pay for F these days. When itís only $600 for F to Hawaii one way. My guess with the new changes in Covid testing to com back to the US, weíre going to see an even bigger uptick in INTL travel and a reduction in Hawaii travel.

sure Iím guessing, here but seems logical, as Hawaii has been flat out busy since mid 2021.
Old Jun 11, 22, 4:59 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
seems to indicate that UA is mispricing F to Hawaii

I saw that AA raised the price of Flagship Business (through DFW) by about 50% from Houston, while UA has kept their prices about the same
Old Jun 11, 22, 7:08 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by rkaradi View Post
People are just willing to pay for F these days. When it’s only $600 for F to Hawaii one way. My guess with the new changes in Covid testing to com back to the US, we’re going to see an even bigger uptick in INTL travel and a reduction in Hawaii travel.

sure I’m guessing, here but seems logical, as Hawaii has been flat out busy since mid 2021.
It has happened already. Just look at car rental rates. At OGG, a full size car in late April 2022 was about $650 for a week, now it is about $450. Consumers have more choices now besides Hawaiian islands.
Old Jun 11, 22, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Inventory seems to be coming back now.

Iím seeing J9 C9 D1 Z1 P1 but United seems to be only allowing C for actual sale on SFO-HNL.
Old Jun 11, 22, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
IAD and EWR to HNL can't downguge to the 772 (It can't make it) so if anything it may be due to the 764 polaris upgrades or 763/764 swaps. I think the High J 76 can be swapped in as well -
77O (the IPTE 772ER) can do these routes - that's what they made it for.
Old Jun 11, 22, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark View Post
77O (the IPTE 772ER) can do these routes - that's what they made it for.

I could be wrong (most likely I am) but I thought the 777 that were converted to the HD domestive 8 across business crapola were the OLD 777-200 pratt and whitney powered and they have a range in the low 5000miles and IAD/ewr to HNL are right at 5000. So they can make it but not with enough reserve for ETOPS or some ...., so they never use those planes on those flights. IAH/ORD/DEN/SFO to HNL - NO problem, only IAD and EWR are the problem children - but again - I may be wrong here
Old Jun 11, 22, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I could be wrong (most likely I am) but I thought the 777 that were converted to the HD domestive 8 across business crapola were the OLD 777-200 pratt and whitney powered and they have a range in the low 5000miles and IAD/ewr to HNL are right at 5000. So they can make it but not with enough reserve for ETOPS or some ...., so they never use those planes on those flights. IAH/ORD/DEN/SFO to HNL - NO problem, only IAD and EWR are the problem children - but again - I may be wrong here
True for the bulk (19) of the 772HD -- 28F 77G/77M
But there are four (4) 77Os with 32 F (another middle row of 4) that are ERs and have the range
All the Polaris equipped 772 are also ER including some PWs 10 77N(?)

more
findark likes this.
Old Jun 11, 22, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
True for the bulk (19) of the 772HD -- 28F 77G/77M
But there are four (4) 77Os with 32 F (another middle row of 4) that are ERs and have the range
All the Polaris equipped 772 are also ER including some PWs 10 77N(?)

more

OK, so that makes sense - I am right 19 out of 23 times LOL

I have flown IAD-HNL a bunch and it was always a beat up 763/764 (Haven't flown since the Pandemic) but I have only seen 764's. EWR-HNL has some Polaris 772/773 - but don't remember seeing HD versions

Either way, the comment about why the HD version were made for IAD/EWR-HNL is def a bit misleading as only 4 of 23 can make it and IAD afaik uses 764 exclusively
Old Jun 11, 22, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
They specifically converted four 772ER frames to the domestic IPTE configuration for the purpose of flying IAD/EWR/ORD-HNL. (The existing 77G sometimes took a weight restriction on ORD-HNL.)

This was done substantially after the 77H to 77G conversion, and done with the specific intent of using the frames to fly those routes. They never did this because of the grounding of the PW-engined 772s, but it seems reasonable to expect them to be assigned now that they are flying again.
Old Jun 11, 22, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by JALsnipe View Post
Inventory seems to be coming back now.

I’m seeing J9 C9 D1 Z1 P1 but United seems to be only allowing C for actual sale on SFO-HNL.
That's because its actually J9C9D0Z0P0, website is currently glitched showing 1's when the buckets are actually 0 in UA's reservation system (actually shows the # of passengers selected in search, not necessarily 1). Calling in to reservations they can look at booking it in existing reservation system (or look it up in SHARES) and it will correctly show it as 0'd out in those lower buckets, even when the website is showing a value.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Jun 11, 22 at 5:53 pm
Old Jun 11, 22, 4:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Either way, the comment about why the HD version were made for IAD/EWR-HNL is def a bit misleading as only 4 of 23 can make it and IAD afaik uses 764 exclusively
The seems little reason to have created the 77Os if not to use them for eastern USA-HNL, whether that be EWR, ORD or IAD or even IAH. It is clearly a version for airports not presently using 772HD to HNL.

The 764s may disappear from the HNL run as they get Polaris conversion.
Old Jun 11, 22, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt explorist

I have flown IAD-HNL a bunch and it was always a beat up 763/764 (Haven't flown since the Pandemic) but I have only seen 764's. EWR-HNL has some Polaris 772/773 - but don't remember seeing HD versions
You don't see the 77O on EWR-HNL was because there was only one converted to 77O just prior to the pandemic start, the other three converted during pandemic, ferry to HKG while parked, you will see them sooner or later
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
While most of the J inventory has returned, I'm booked on UA 2482 on August 3rd which has been blocked at J0 for the past 5 days. Originally only 2 seats on the seatmap were occupied (me and some other passenger) and over the past few days I've seen 6 seats get blocked while the inventory was zeroed out. This is on a 753 so I wondering if they're expecting an aircraft swap or trying to protect passengers on other routes. Looks like every flight that day is now on a 772 or 773.
Old Jun 29, 22, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JALsnipe View Post
...Looks like every flight that day is now on a 772 or 773.
For now....

Search this Thread