Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Becomes First U.S. Airline to Add New Transpacific Destination Since Pandemic
Photos(1)

Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October

United was the only carrier to maintain passenger service between Australia and the U.S. during the pandemic

CHICAGO, June 8, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United today announced year-round, nonstop service between San Francisco and Brisbane, becoming the first U.S. airline to add a new transpacific destination to its global network since the start of the pandemic. From Brisbane, United customers will be able to easily connect to nearly 20 other cities within Australia thanks to the airline's new partnership with Virgin Australia. United was the only carrier to maintain passenger service between Australia and the U.S. during the pandemic.

"With United's strong history in Australia – and now with a great partner in Virgin Australia – it's the ideal time for United to expand service to Brisbane as demand for travel continues to grow," said Patrick Quayle, senior vice president of international network and alliances at United. "Throughout the pandemic, we've looked for strategic ways to grow our international network, and we're proud to be the first U.S. airline to put a new dot on our route map across the Pacific."

In addition to the new Brisbane route, United currently flies nonstop to Sydney from San Francisco and Los Angeles and offers nonstop flights between Melbourne and the U.S.

The launch of this route is supported by The Queensland Government's Attracting Aviation Investment Fund, which was established to help rebuild the country's international tourism industry. United's new service will support 385 local jobs and bring an estimated $73 million into the economy. Pre-pandemic, San Francisco was the second largest mainland U.S. inbound passenger market and destination for Queensland travelers. United's hub at San Francisco provides convenient one-stop connections for more than 80 North American destinations.

"This new service from United is a gamechanger for Queensland and we look forward to welcoming guests from across the United network to experience the sunshine, beaches and Queensland's unique outdoor lifestyle," said Gert-Jan de Graaff, CEO, Brisbane Airport Corporation. "Australia is often mentioned as a bucket-list destination for North American travelers, so now is the time for customers to jump on board and see it for themselves."

United's new Brisbane service will operate three times weekly on a 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft that includes 48 lie-flat, United Polaris® business class seats, 21 United Premium Plus® seats, 39 Economy Plus® seats and 149 economy seats. All seats are equipped with seatback on-demand entertainment to help customers pass the time and relax during their travels.

United is the longest serving U.S. carrier in Australia, serving the country for more than 35 years with its first direct service to Sydney in 1986. The airline first began offering nonstop service to Melbourne from Los Angeles in 2014 and recently restarted its San Francisco-Melbourne service this June.

For more information and to book flights, please visit united.com.
Print Wikipost

United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Formal announcement out

United Becomes First U.S. Airline to Add New Transpacific Destination Since Pandemic
Photos(1)

Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October

United was the only carrier to maintain passenger service between Australia and the U.S. during the pandemic

CHICAGO, June 8, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- United today announced year-round, nonstop service between San Francisco and Brisbane, becoming the first U.S. airline to add a new transpacific destination to its global network since the start of the pandemic. From Brisbane, United customers will be able to easily connect to nearly 20 other cities within Australia thanks to the airline's new partnership with Virgin Australia. United was the only carrier to maintain passenger service between Australia and the U.S. during the pandemic.

Full text also in wiki

Interesting note
The launch of this route is supported by The Queensland Government's Attracting Aviation Investment Fund, which was established to help rebuild the country's international tourism industry. United's new service will support 385 local jobs and bring an estimated $73 million into the economy. ..
subsidy?
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Mats
United used to fly to Brisbane. It was via Sydney on the 747-400 in the 1990s.

As I recall, Qantas was discussing Brisbane-Chicago (pre-pandemic), so I wonder if that will resurface.
In the 80s, they even used to have transpacific flights from Townsville.

I'm glad to see more flights to Australia, but I wonder if United will be able to compete with the low fares from Jetstar and the better service from Qantas.
Likewise, I'm not sure what sort of business traffic they can find from Brisbane.
There's still not a curfew at BNE AFAIK so if I was connecting to domestic Australia this would be an easy choice. It's a brilliant move for ua as well for a ua staffed syd diversion point when it goes 🍐 shaped with weather delays.
Mats, SPN Lifer and John Darcy like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: United Platinum
Am I the only SF Bay Area local who thought this was going to be a very, very short bus ride?

For non-locals, SFO is effectively the southern edge of Brisbane California.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
If they thought that they needed to give away saver award seats to fill it, they wouldn't launch it in the first place.

If sales fail to meet their expectations, then you might see saver awards open.
Yeah, but every now and then, when a new route or flight is loaded, it is done with PN9 all the way down to I9. Maybe UA has wisened up, because I don't see that on a smattering of dates I've searched so far.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Yeah, but every now and then, when a new route or flight is loaded, it is done with PN9 all the way down to I9. Maybe UA has wisened up, because I don't see that on a smattering of dates I've searched so far.
I've seen that, but not for several years. I think their default load has been updated to full-fare only until they backfill the discount buckets.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Don't suppose they could make a few awards available up front when it launches?
some PZ space would also be nice. not a lot popping up on AU routes anymore unfortunately
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, April 1st? Or real? Let's hope this sticks Nice to see another option to Australia and great connections as well with VA to other destinations in Australia from BNE. Going to BNE in early October via SYD ... coming a few weeks too late for me
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by david_oz
some PZ space would also be nice. not a lot popping up on AU routes anymore unfortunately
I nabbed PZ space in January for SAN-SFO-LAX-SYD flight out next month and return SYD-SFO-SAN in August. I thought the price was expensive but for confirmed PZ was okay.

Am hoping the BNE flights will bring down prices especially since they are subsidized by the QLD government
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Some JN space at the 60k rates would be acceptable as well!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Some JN space at the 60k rates would be acceptable as well!
That ship has sailed
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:48 pm

Following as I might have a client in Brisbane that needs a visit this year.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
Likewise, I'm not sure what sort of business traffic they can find from Brisbane.
Aussie military / contractors.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
I've seen that, but not for several years. I think their default load has been updated to full-fare only until they backfill the discount buckets.
When they added EWR-CPT flights for this summer back in February, they loaded them with PN5 PZ5 IN5 I5. A lot of seats got snatched up (I saw them going more or less in real time), and then overnight any remaining inventory was predictably zeroed out.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Time to reinstate Guam-Cairns (GUM-CNS).
Could be speculated by done with VA's 738s with UA codeshare (e.g CNS-GUM-HND) with fifth freedom from GUM - HND to utilise the HND slot VA has.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:42 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have to say UA and Kirby seem to have been doing a great job as of recently. DL is charging an arm and a leg for tickets while suffering operation issues and not fully returning to pre-COVID service. AA is fine, but that's about all. Nothing truly innovative is happening at AA right now. UA on the other hand is clearly more willing to try new INTL routes, has a good hard product, and seems to be the most forward looking with SAF and new aircraft.
EWRSNA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.