Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 7, 22, 7:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge (remove taxes and non-airline fees)
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by must be *A or MP partner (earning depends on ticketing carrier)
  • Economy Plus seating or subscriptions (100% PQPs)
  • Preferred seat purchases (100% PQPs)
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays (100% PQPs)
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express (100% PQPs)
Purchase not eligible for PQPs: In-flight purchases, wifi for a single flight or subscription. UC membership or day pass, check bag fees / subscriptions, farelocks, ...

but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Earning is 500 PQPs per $12K spend in a calendar year, cards have different annual PQP caps.
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year
Note the Accelerator purchase costs do not earn PQPs but can count for the credit card spend.

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's PQP run planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Related
Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 9, 22, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txirish View Post
Mileage accelerators seem to come in big jumps, too, and are crazy expensive. Will I have to find a cheap domestic flight for a PQP run? Looks like some are in the $140 range (from AUS).
That's by far the cheapest approach. Make a day trip to DEN, LAX, ORD, or IAH (Houston can be surprisingly expensive, FYI).
SPN Lifer and txirish like this.
Old Oct 9, 22, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Mileage accelerators seem to come in big jumps, too, and are crazy expensive. Will I have to find a cheap domestic flight for a PQP run? Looks like some are in the $140 range (from AUS).
Try booking the AUS (as one ways) and then look at the Mileage Accelerator as for a short, cheap flight tend to be less but still may bottom out a a few hundred PQPs for elites near a high status level. If reasonable, cancel the actual flights in the first 24 hours for a full cash refund.

Mileage Accelerator will only get more expensive with time and as you close in on the qualification level.
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
txirish likes this.
Old Oct 9, 22, 1:03 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat
Question about when PQP hits your account with paid upgrade and/or economy plus px

Context: Former Premier Plat with no OPM travel, who had virtually no flying last year/ did not make any status for 2022 due to lack of segment (If I flew once, I would have earned Gold with complimentary pqp, card spend, etc).

Started this year with a clean slate, and didn't expect to fly much; but currently sitting at 2836 PQP with enough segments for early silver/ gold by the end of the year. Recently booked Saver XN award for EWR - ICN, and paid for one way ICN - EWR. Given no status, I'd be flying in E- in all 4 legs and was wondering if I were to pay for E+ on my first EWR-SFO segment, would the PQP will be processed before the flight (in 3 weeks) for me to have access to T-24 E+ seats for the rest of the trip? This itself will save me ~$700 and seems well worth it. However, if it won't credit until the flight is flown, I might just pay more for the SFO-ICN segment for a few inches of stretching room.

Another option is Prem+ seats on initial EWR-SFO segment for $225, but my experience tells me that does not credit until the entire itinerary is flown, which will not impact SFO-ICN leg. So unless confirmed by other flyers, it is in the bottom of my options list.

Thanks in advance for any advice/ experience/ rec!

Last edited by wanderluststruck; Oct 9, 22 at 1:05 pm Reason: slight stylistic edit.
Old Oct 9, 22, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wanderluststruck View Post
... if I were to pay for E+ on my first EWR-SFO segment, would the PQP will be processed before the flight (in 3 weeks) for me to have access to T-24 E+ seats for the rest of the trip?
Another option is Prem+ seats on initial EWR-SFO segment for $225, but my experience tells me that does not credit until the entire itinerary is flown, which will not impact SFO-ICN leg. ...
Subscriptions post immediately. individual flight E+ seating fees or cash upgrades do not post until the you have taken the flight, just like the flight fare PQPs.
Actually the extra items will post 2-3 days after the flight.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 22 at 1:16 pm Reason: Actually the extra items will post 2-3 days after the flight.
Old Oct 9, 22, 1:22 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat
Thanks for the clarification! With that said, it sounds like I'd be better off purchasing E+ for the SFO-ICN segment, so at least I should have access to E+ on my ICN-EWR itinerary. (Only if the status update happens relatively soon after I hit the threshold after 2-3 days!)

Last edited by wanderluststruck; Oct 9, 22 at 1:23 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 10, 22, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Try booking the AUS (as one ways) and then look at the Mileage Accelerator as for a short, cheap flight tend to be less but still may bottom out a a few hundred PQPs for elites near a high status level. If reasonable, cancel the actual flights in the first 24 hours for a full cash refund.
Brilliant advice! I booked the cheapest flight I could find and got 100 PQP for $106. Cheaper than flying anywhere, plus no wasted time. (I won't get to kill time at the IAH Centurion Club, but that's hardly worth the hassle of airport parking and a mostly wasted day.) Even some chance my Amex airline "miscellaneous" credit might pay the tab, as I haven't used up my 2022 credit yet. Thanks, WineCountryUA !
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 10, 22, 10:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Brilliant advice! I booked the cheapest flight I could find and got 100 PQP for $106.
Be careful here. $106 won't get you 100 PQP for a normal ticket - 7.5% tax on the base price (base price = PQP). Assuming one-way, you will also have flight segment tax = $4.50; 9/11 security fee = $5.60; facility charge: $4.50.

Summary: if 100 PQP, your out-pocket would be $122+; if $106, your PQP would be around $80.
Old Oct 10, 22, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Be careful here. $106 won't get you 100 PQP for a normal ticket - 7.5% tax on the base price (base price = PQP). Assuming one-way, you will also have flight segment tax = $4.50; 9/11 security fee = $5.60; facility charge: $4.50.

Summary: if 100 PQP, your out-pocket would be $122+; if $106, your PQP would be around $80.
Believe the OP is referring to purchase of Premier Accelerator PQPs. The $106 is referring to that purchase, not a ticket purchase. If the offer is for 100 PQPs, the OP will get 100 PQPs.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 22, 2:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I'm going to be 175 PQP short of Gold at year end unless I do a quick mileage run. Found a same day AUS-IAH-DFW-IAH-AUS flight that will get me there along with a AUS-IAH-STL-ORD-AUS run. txirish we could do one same day if you wanted an excuse to fly to nowhere for lunch
Old Oct 11, 22, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wakesetter93 View Post
txirish we could do one same day if you wanted an excuse to fly to nowhere for lunch
Thanks for the invite! But, barring anything weird with my remaining international trip, I've got the PQP I need this year. Kind of too bad, back in the traditional mileage run days I always wanted to but never did a joint run or even meet a fellow runner in a lounge in some exotic airport. Maybe next year! (Not so sure about ORD, though...)

With just 175 points to go, you might consider the same strategy suggested by WineCountryUA - less time consuming, probably cheaper, and PQP are deposited immediately. My purchased (and later refunded) ticket was $100, and I got the 100 PQP for $106 offer. I don't know what formula they use for their accelerator offers, but I'd guess you might have to book a flight in the $200 range to get the offer you need. You can view the accelerator offer before final payment, so if one flight doesn't work you can try another. (Your out of pocket will be a little higher because you have to buy the regular miles to get the PQP offer.)

United has a lot of IT issues right now, but it would be nice if they added a feature to let people buy a minimal amount of PQP without going through the booking process. If a MP member has years (or decades) of loyalty, is currently Platinum, and is 50 points short of 15,000 for 1K status, why not make it easy? (Even better, gift it to them. What if instead of this convoluted process, Scott Kirby sent an email saying, "Hey, TXIrish, thanks for your loyalty! I see you are just 36 miles short of 1K status for 2023, and I'm writing to tell you not to worry about it - welcome to another year of 1K status! We appreciate you!" Dream on...)
Old Oct 11, 22, 12:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Silver), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Was talking with a coworker of mine today and he mentioned something I (somehow) hadn't thought of. I have a flight next week that will leave me 175 PQP's short of Gold. If I buy the $199 upgrade to First is there any way to calculate how many PQP's that would net me? Assuming it's not a direct 1 to 1 as I'm assuming there are some taxes and fees baked in there.
Old Oct 11, 22, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wakesetter93 View Post
Was talking with a coworker of mine today and he mentioned something I (somehow) hadn't thought of. I have a flight next week that will leave me 175 PQP's short of Gold. If I buy the $199 upgrade to First is there any way to calculate how many PQP's that would net me? Assuming it's not a direct 1 to 1 as I'm assuming there are some taxes and fees baked in there.
If you take a sticker-type upgrade -- "upgrade to first for $199." you will receive 199 PQP a few days after the flight. There are no taxes on this purchase.

Note that if you make a voluntary change to that flight, the money may be forfeit.
Old Oct 11, 22, 1:48 pm

Great, thanks for the information!
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 13, 22, 9:50 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Brilliant advice! I booked the cheapest flight I could find and got 100 PQP for $106. Cheaper than flying anywhere, plus no wasted time. (I won't get to kill time at the IAH Centurion Club, but that's hardly worth the hassle of airport parking and a mostly wasted day.) Even some chance my Amex airline "miscellaneous" credit might pay the tab, as I haven't used up my 2022 credit yet. Thanks, WineCountryUA !
Sitting currently around 800 PQP short of Silver Status. But with a flight netting around 650 PQP in coming weeks.
Would it be a wise decision to book a cheap short flight (LAX -SFO, or anything else does not matter as I am based out of US) hope to get around 150-200 proposal to buy PQP, buy them, cancel the flight within 24 hours and than book the remaining 650 PQP flight?
Reading here I understand that further from qualification gets better price and also short distance could get a lower PQP offer right?

What do you think? Is it a good plan?
Thanks
Old Oct 13, 22, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 View Post
Sitting currently around 800 PQP short of Silver Status. But with a flight netting around 650 PQP in coming weeks.
Would it be a wise decision to book a cheap short flight (LAX -SFO, or anything else does not matter as I am based out of US) hope to get around 150-200 proposal to buy PQP, buy them, cancel the flight within 24 hours and than book the remaining 650 PQP flight?
Reading here I understand that further from qualification gets better price and also short distance could get a lower PQP offer right?

What do you think? Is it a good plan?
Thanks
That plan may work, the Premier Accelerator PQP purchases can be variable, but you have summarized past observations.
And alternative would be to upgrade / upfare your present planned flight.
flymexico2010 and IMissThe747 like this.

Search this Thread