Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 27, 22, 9:38 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Generally PQPs are earned flying
  • Paid flights -- Base fare + surcharge
  • Including flights ticketed and operated by *A partners
  • Economy Plus seating or subscriptions
  • Preferred seat purchases
  • MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays
  • Paid upgrades on flights operated by United and United Express
but there are two additional methods for earning them
1. Some Chase UA Branded credit will earn PQPs
and there is a bonus promo Bonus PQP Promo for MP Chase Cardholders - Q2 2022 -- targeted & variable bonus
Chase MP credit card PQPs can be used to achieve all earned status levels but for 1K you also need to meet the PQF requirement. The PresidentialPlus cards PQPs can be used to meet the PQP only 1K requirement

2. You can purchase PQPs via Premier Accelerator
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year

UA has normally offered a status buy-up program in January, tends to run on the expensive side. No details are announced until mid-January
Last year's program - 2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)

For reference but not topic of this thread
MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Resource threads
UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Mileage Run Discussion
Mileage Run Deals
Premium Fare Deals

Poor man's MR planner
Google Flights enter a starting airport, leave the destination blank, select airlines - Star Alliance, set travel days and max cost and view the Map for options. Try multiple dates.
kayak.com/explore has similar functionality
And now UA's Explore destinations

Previous years' thread - "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2021 for Elite Status in 2022"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2020 for Elite Status in 2021"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQDs/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2015 for Elite Status in 2016
& [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 28, 22, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
At the moment I need 10K PQPs. By the end of the year maybe 8K or 9K, unless they have another giveaway. I fly quite a bit but it's all my own money so I use a lot of awards and cheap flights.
I know, it's a bit much, I keep asking myself how much better 1K is than Gold but I've gotten so used to 1K lately. I love pre-boarding and being near the top of the upgrade list.
Please, please, please reconsider your plan.

Keep the $8000, and use it to buy first / business outright next year on whatever carrier best suits your needs. There is no airline status in the world worth that much.

Even if you're able to find a great deal on a PQP run, you're not likely to get much better than 2:1 leverage now that AC earnings have been cut and per-segment earnings are capped. Plus, to get that, you'd have to fly AC. 1K isn't even worth $4K.

Ask yourself, are you doing this for the benefits, or are you doing it to see "1K' stamped onto your boarding pass? If the former, you can value them against the price and I'm certain you'll find that it comes up wanting. If it's the latter, I fear you're falling into the trap of taking UA's marketing at face value.
SPN Lifer, Quail, Repooc17 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you, I will reconsider it. I'll try to make a list of all the benefits. One is that I usually travel with the wife and using PlusPoints we can both fly Polaris for cheap (when available). That costs quite a few dollars otherwise. The fact that I'm not charged when changing award travel has saved me quite a bit too. And, as I said, that 1K phone line sometimes works magic when you're stuck.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, I will reconsider it. I'll try to make a list of all the benefits. One is that I usually travel with the wife and using PlusPoints we can both fly Polaris for cheap (when available).
Happy to help. Ultimately, it's your money, so if you decide it's what you want to do, enjoy it. I just wanted to offer a little perspective.

If you're talking about PZ at booking, I agree that's a nice benefit when you can find it -- but you also have miles + copay as an option there. If you're talking about waitlisted upgrades, you can go from hoping nobody takes the $800 buy-up to being the person that takes the $800 buy-up.

The fact that I'm not charged when changing award travel has saved me quite a bit too.
Currently, there are no redeposit fees for any changes made more than 30 days prior to departure. If your flight departs from the US, you can move it to 31+ days out and then redeposit for no fee. If your flight originates elsewhere (e.g., Canada), you're looking at $125/ticket for changes within 30 days of departure, although I've seen recent reports that they may still be waiving that. (Less if you still maintain some level of status).

And, as I said, that 1K phone line sometimes works magic when you're stuck.
Granted, although there hasn't been a dedicated 1K phone line in several years. You mentioned Gold as a possible fallback -- a Gold member gets the same agents, just potentially with more hold time.
Old Aug 28, 22, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
"If you want to fly overseas, NYC-SIN in PE can net a lot of PQPs. JFK-HND-SIN-HND-JFK - 4k PQP at $1500 cost"

Really? Please give more details how I can get 4k PQP for $1500. I'll fly international for that!
Ah damn ... I thought the limit for preferred partner PE was higher. Sigh. So it is 2800 PQP for a $1500 ticket. Got to fly extra connections to make it 4000 PQP.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Quail like this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Ah damn ... I thought the limit for preferred partner PE was higher. Sigh. So it is 2800 PQP for a $1500 ticket. Got to fly extra connections to make it 4000 PQP.
That's still very good. Could you give me a real-world example of this? All the flights I can find cost way more.
Old Aug 28, 22, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
That's still very good. Could you give me a real-world example of this? All the flights I can find cost way more.
Suggest reviewing UA/Star Alliance: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Old Aug 28, 22, 12:17 pm

Not quite as good but I got a BOS-YYZ-CPH-YYZ-BOS flight in AC PE for $1050 yielding 1724 PQP.
Old Aug 28, 22, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
EWR-ARN-DUB r/t SK A-class. Earns 1338 PQD for $477.

JFK-HND-SIN-HND-JFK $1399

https://www.skyscanner.com/transport...ref=home&rtn=1
rbakker likes this.
Old Sep 4, 22, 1:12 pm

EWR-ARN-DUB r/t SK A-class. Earns 1338 PQD for $477.

JFK-HND-SIN-HND-JFK $1399

https://www.skyscanner.com/transport...ref=home&rtn=1
Forgive my ignorance but is PQD = PQP?
Old Sep 4, 22, 4:00 pm

I'm using the wonderful https://pqp.economiles.com/ which I believe was created by kevflyer. Thank you!
Question: How can I know which class a ticket is? Do I have to go through the whole process of booking a flight (e.g. on Air Canada) to find out what it is?

Another question: I don't see much discussion about Business Class fares. It seems to me these are ideal for getting a good PQP/USD ratio because they're often less than 2x the Economy fare yet they can get you up to 1500 per segment. Or am I seeing this wrong? For example: SFO-YUL-MEX in Business (J?) on AC gives 1016 + 922 = 1938 PQP for US$832 (on Oct 29).
Old Sep 4, 22, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by rbakker (Post # 39) View Post
Forgive my ignorance but is PQD = PQP?
Yes, UA changed the terminology from Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD) to Premier Qualifying Points (PQP) a few years ago, but they are essentially the same thing. This was at the same time as they dropped Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM).

Originally Posted by rbakker (Post # 40) View Post
I don't see much discussion about Business Class fares. It seems to me these are ideal for getting a good PQP/USD ratio because they're often less than 2x the Economy fare yet they can get you up to 1500 per segment. Or am I seeing this wrong? For example: SFO-YUL-MEX in Business (J?) on AC gives 1016 + 922 = 1938 PQP for US$832 (on Oct 29).
You are correct, for certain distances, if booked and ticketed on partner airlines with no UA segments. There is a good thread on earning PQP on partner flights.

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Sep 4, 22 at 10:39 pm
Old Sep 4, 22, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm using the wonderful https://pqp.economiles.com/ which I believe was created by kevflyer. Thank you!
Question: How can I know which class a ticket is? Do I have to go through the whole process of booking a flight (e.g. on Air Canada) to find out what it is?
Thats one approach. You can also play around with ITA Matrix ( https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ ) to see what fares are available.

Another question: I don't see much discussion about Business Class fares. It seems to me these are ideal for getting a good PQP/USD ratio because they're often less than 2x the Economy fare yet they can get you up to 1500 per segment. Or am I seeing this wrong? For example: SFO-YUL-MEX in Business (J?) on AC gives 1016 + 922 = 1938 PQP for US$832 (on Oct 29).
Discount business class on AC is a sweet spot, but less of one since (a) the 1500 PQP per-segment cap and (b) the reduction of P fares to 150% instead of 200%. At that price point, that sounds like a P fare, not a J fare, so youre looking at 1454 PQP. Oh, and dealing with AC for changes, refunds, etc. :/
SPN Lifer and rbakker like this.
Old Sep 6, 22, 10:26 am

I haven't honestly seen a lot of domestic bulk fares; they are mostly international. If you can get EWR-HNL r/t on a bulk P fare then that nets you 2988 PQP, if my calculation is correct.
Could you tell me how you made that calculation? I can't find any information on how many PQPs you can get for UA bulk fares. I think they are based on the number of miles flown but not what the formula is.

ETA: Sorry, another member pointed me to: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

Earning PQP on bulk tickets

Members will earn PQP on bulk tickets for flights operated by United according to the specialty ticket award mile earn and fare class bonuses. Premier qualifying points will be equal to specialty ticket award miles earned divided by 5. When calculating PQP, specialty ticket award miles should not include any Premier bonus miles earned from specialty tickets.

For example, if you flew one way from New York/Newark (EWR) to London Heathrow (LHR) on a bulk ticket in P fare class:

Base miles: 3,465

Base miles earn: 100%

Fare class bonus: 50%

Award mile earn: 5,198

PQP earn: 1,040 (Award miles earned divided by 5)

You’d earn 5,198 award miles (3,465 miles x (100% base mile earn + 50% fare class bonus)) and 1,040 PQP (5,198 award miles divided by 5).
ETA 2: Even better, this calculator calculates the UA PQP for me: https://pqp.economiles.com/

Last edited by rbakker; Sep 6, 22 at 10:48 am
Old Sep 13, 22, 11:14 am

Programs: United
Hi All!
Thanks in advance for your expertise! I will be about 200 PQP short of reaching Gold status for 2022.

Are there any additional ways to obtain these points? I have only seen outside of flying, using a co-branded credit card may be an option.
Are there any creative alternatives - car rental, hotel, online purchases?
What about flight upgrade (or rebooking my ticket at a higher fare)?

Thanks again!
-Joey

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 22 at 12:17 pm Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Sep 13, 22, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Johhny5Alive View Post
Hi All!
Thanks in advance for your expertise! I will be about 200 PQP short of reaching Gold status for 2022.

Are there any additional ways to obtain these points? I have only seen outside of flying, using a co-branded credit card may be an option.
Are there any creative alternatives - car rental, hotel, online purchases?
What about flight upgrade (or rebooking my ticket at a higher fare)?

Thanks again!
-Joey
Cobranded cards (500 PQPs per 12k spending, different limits depending on the card) and upgrading a flight, either as a refare to a higher booking code, or purchasing E+ seats or a premium cabin upgrade will also get you PQPs.

Since your not yet Gold, E+ subscription would also earn PQPs, however kind of defeats the purpose of buying the subscription if it's immediately going to become complimentary when you get the PQPs for Gold.

Search this Thread