Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice on waiting for Polaris upgrades to London for a GS

Advice on waiting for Polaris upgrades to London for a GS

Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo

One thing I do love about most non-US airlines- the J/F cabins are almost never jam packed with "upgraded" pax. People who paid for the cabin are the occupants.
Upgraded passengers also pay for their J seats either directly or indirectly. It would be shortsighted, I think, to look at the mode of payment, upgrade status, or fare class for the J seat as reflective of cost or value from either passenger or airline perspective.

Originally Posted by simonmason
I buy enough Polaris tickets each year. Just want to use up some of my miles.
Indeed as OP states they buy Polaris tickets multiple times a year and that is their 'payment' (as are the miles they are using up); and from a business perspective he is likely more valuable and has 'paid' more for the seat than the occasional J flyer who 'paid' in cash. There is a reason why high status elites are ranked above paid J flyers by many airlines.

Should note also that part of the reason why non- US J cabins are not packed with upgraded passengers is a relative paucity of high level elites and (?blindly) loyal customers. I have been surprised to get operational upgrades on Star Alliance carriers a few times just for being Star Gold and wondered how come the Star airline did not have elites of their own to upgrade. I suspect it would be rare, if not unknown, for a non-UA elite to get an operational upgrade on United.
​​​​
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I hadn't actually thought about the idea of booking the tickets and then cancelling to free the upgrades at the last minute. I can see why that would annoy them. I did check the PN/S inventory when I booked and everything was zeroed out months ago. So I think I may just redeposit the miles and pay for the tickets.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
WFBF. Ensures satisfaction.

One thing I do love about most non-US airlines- the J/F cabins are almost never jam packed with "upgraded" pax. People who paid for the cabin are the occupants. Personally I'd prefer to see cabin upgrades eliminated, status is good for earning an increased points multiplier, and maybe better mileage redemptions.
Yeah which airlines are those? Most of the European and ME airlines offer upgrades these days, there may be a few state sponsored airlines not doing so but the number is shrinking...
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I just checked - it is premium plus that we were upgraded to on one of the flights. Both of them are still waitlisted for Polaris.

Help me understand what they don't like about this? My plan was to purchase two tickets in Polaris and use them if they don't upgrade me and cancel out on the points reservation and redeposit it. If at some time they upgrade me then I will cancel the Polaris ticket. I buy enough Polaris tickets each year. Just want to use up some of my miles.
To repeat. Don't do this. Accounts have been closed and miles garnished for lesser offenses.
ContinentalFan and hhdl like this.

Last edited by MatthewLAX; Jun 4, 2022 at 9:45 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
How would rev management look at the OP buying Polaris on a different flight same day. How bad would that be if one of the two sets of flights were cancelled?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rkaradi
How would rev management look at the OP buying Polaris on a different flight same day. ...
Yes, UA can / has detected reservations on different flights and canceled one if it would be "impossible" to actual take both -- see the referenced thread for examples.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Thanks, I hadn't actually thought about the idea of booking the tickets and then cancelling to free the upgrades at the last minute. I can see why that would annoy them. I did check the PN/S inventory when I booked and everything was zeroed out months ago. So I think I may just redeposit the miles and pay for the tickets.
Do you mind changing planes in BOS? I was playing around wiht flights to LHR last week and EWR had no upgrade space but BOS did.

Originally Posted by rkaradi
How would rev management look at the OP buying Polaris on a different flight same day.
Poorly. The COC specifically prohibits booking flights which you do not intend to or cannot take. Booking duplicate flights with different departure times run the risk of one of them being canceled, at best. It has happened to me, as a GS, when our corporate travel agent thought she was doing a good thing by trying to protect me. At worst, the account may be in jeopardy for reasons already well covered.
cesco.g, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I would wait. LHR flights are not that busy right now. Worse come to worse you can SDC to another flight that has PN available. I would risk it.
cesco.g and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you really want the backup just book it on another airline.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by cfischer
I would wait. LHR flights are not that busy right now.
Not sure where you get that impression from. All the six flights from EWR to LHR tonight are fully sold in Economy; two are fully sold in all cabins, others have availability in J of 1 or 2. My experience the last month on EWR-LHR has been aircraft going without a single empty seat...
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by ani90
Not sure where you get that impression from. All the six flights from EWR to LHR tonight are fully sold in Economy; two are fully sold in all cabins, others have availability in J of 1 or 2. My experience the last month on EWR-LHR has been aircraft going without a single empty seat...
Which doesn’t mean upgrades aren’t processed.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ani90
Looks like pretty much everyone has cleared already for tonight, except NRSAs. Monday night has a ton of I (!) available, let alone PN. It is really not that hard to clear to/from LHR right now to be honest ... and that is for a 1K. Should be a piece of cake for a GS.
cesco.g, truncated and benewr like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:24 pm

why not cancel the mileage award tickets, buy revenue J tickets, and watch for PN space? If PN shows up, then rebook award tickets, upgrade, and cancel revenue ticket?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RASEWR
why not cancel the mileage award tickets, buy revenue J tickets, and watch for PN space? If PN shows up, then rebook award tickets, upgrade, and cancel revenue ticket?
If you book revenue J you'll make PN less likely to open.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t really understand why everyone jumped down your throat. It was obvious what you were saying from the get go.
zombietooth likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.