Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

What is the future of Hong Kong in the Unitedís Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

What is the future of Hong Kong in the Unitedís Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Old Jul 15, 22, 8:42 am

Programs: United 1K
Thereís been lots of talk above about how Hong Kong is dead, especially in regards to HKG, the airport.

I am not disagreeing with that sentiment as the likely outcome.

However, what is interesting to me is how HKG the airport continues to forge ahead with the plans it set in place strategically years ago despite all of the potential evidence of downturn.

They just completed the third runway in the last few weeks (which I think they actually accelerated the construction of given the ability to do it with limited operational problems in the last two years) and are now pushing forward on the new terminal that is part of the 3 runway project expansion. the new terminal is essentially a copy of the existing main terminal.

Clearly they donít know anything more than we do, but to me itís just really shocking that theyíre going full speed ahead on those things despite what all evidence might suggest otherwise about how likely it is that those facilities may never really be used.

Not to get off topic, but this sort of thing is sort of familiar to someone who lives in Pittsburgh where a big hub airport was built and then later abandoned by its key leaseholder, only to see it become a shell of its former self.
SPN Lifer, LETTERBOY and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I was at HKG on Sunday and stopped by the United Club before my SQ flight to SIN. The Club has been shut for over 2 1/2 years.

Old Aug 24, 22, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.9+ MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Sad!!
wxguy and drewguy like this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
And likely permanent
Old Aug 24, 22, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by hscottm View Post
Thereís been lots of talk above about how Hong Kong is dead, especially in regards to HKG, the airport.

I am not disagreeing with that sentiment as the likely outcome.

However, what is interesting to me is how HKG the airport continues to forge ahead with the plans it set in place strategically years ago despite all of the potential evidence of downturn.

They just completed the third runway in the last few weeks (which I think they actually accelerated the construction of given the ability to do it with limited operational problems in the last two years) and are now pushing forward on the new terminal that is part of the 3 runway project expansion. the new terminal is essentially a copy of the existing main terminal.

Clearly they donít know anything more than we do, but to me itís just really shocking that theyíre going full speed ahead on those things despite what all evidence might suggest otherwise about how likely it is that those facilities may never really be used.

Not to get off topic, but this sort of thing is sort of familiar to someone who lives in Pittsburgh where a big hub airport was built and then later abandoned by its key leaseholder, only to see it become a shell of its former self.
I believe that there are elements of the Hong Kong government hoping that they will return to their former glory. However, as someone with lots of family and business associates there, who are doing everything they can to transfer assets out of Hong Kong so they can leave, and are terrified of what might come in the near future, I believe that Hong Kong is permanently damaged as an Asian financial center and a place where foreigners could safely live and store wealth.
SPN Lifer, Dyce and chavala like this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
I was at HKG on Sunday and stopped by the United Club before my SQ flight to SIN. The Club has been shut for over 2 1/2 years.

Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
Sad!!
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
And likely permanent
Is it really that big of a loss? I mean, the Centurion Lounge, which is close by, has superior food. I went to HKG twice in early 2020 and checked out most of the lounges. I personally don't think the HKG UC is any special. It's definitely quieter than the CL so if I needed to take a nap, I guess that would be the only reason for me to go there.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Is it really that big of a loss? I mean, the Centurion Lounge, which is close by, has superior food. I went to HKG twice in early 2020 and checked out most of the lounges. I personally don't think the HKG UC is any special. It's definitely quieter than the CL so if I needed to take a nap, I guess that would be the only reason for me to go there.
When and if UA restarts flights to HK, I expect it will likely not going to be the 4 or 5 flights it used to run. At most, I see two (SFO and EWR). It does not make sense to operate United Club with only two flights. UA could contract TG Lounge.

if LH and LX continue to contract United Club to serve their passengers, then there may still be a business case to keep it open.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Aug 24, 22 at 5:21 pm
Old Aug 24, 22, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.9+ MM, Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Probably more sentimentality than anything. Lots of biz/pers/family trips to and thru HKG over the years with good memories. Will miss the small IFL-turned-GS room off to the side.
iluv2fly, uanj, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 7:54 pm

Yes, lots of sentimentality at HKG. The F class UA lounge in HKG was actually quite nice. Not quite as nice as UA's F class lounge in NRT but a close second. Prior to Covid, believe UA was going to convert both lounges into Polaris lounges.

Don't think UA will abandon HKG but doubtful it will be hub (not sure HKG was a formal hub even in 2019 but more enlightened minds will certainly know). Once China's draconian Covid rules subside, expect UA to resume HKG operations out of SFO, EWR, GUM, and possibly ORD.

The interesting thing will be whether UA decides to replace HKG as a connecting airport. In the not too distant past, we could fly HKG to GUM, SGN, NRT, MNL and SIN Perhaps UA will decide to fly nonstop from the US to SGN and/or MNL and expand its flights to SIN. While UA ponders expansion into south Asia, perhaps it will also consider resumption of BKK service.
Old Aug 24, 22, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I really enjoyed the United Club at HKG, it was one of my favorites. I could enjoy some actual hot food, which was miles beyond what was on offer when I finally arrived at the UC in DEN after a connection or two. Too bad about the demise of the HKG United Club, and HKG in general. Maybe BKK would be a good replacement.

I used to be a CX Marco Polo Silver... I enjoyed the CX lounges there as well.

At least the memories remain.
Old Aug 24, 22, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
When and if UA restarts flights to HK, I expect it will likely not going to be the 4 or 5 flights it used to run. At most, I see two (SFO and EWR). It does not make sense to operate United Club with only two flights. UA could contract TG Lounge.

if LH and LX continue to contract United Club to serve their passengers, then there may still be a business case to keep it open.
I would really like to see UA bring back the two daily SFO-HKG flights in the near future. The TG Lounge was a disappointment as well. At the time I flew to HKG, I didn't have OW status, but since I flew CX J, I was able to try out all of their lounges. CX absolutely blows UA out of the water in terms of food and the interior design. It would be nice if *A actually operate a decent lounge with food that's comparable to what CX J offers.

Originally Posted by tcdtcd View Post
Probably more sentimentality than anything. Lots of biz/pers/family trips to and thru HKG over the years with good memories. Will miss the small IFL-turned-GS room off to the side.
There's always Plaza Premium. It's a superior alternative.

Originally Posted by tj96821 View Post
Yes, lots of sentimentality at HKG. The F class UA lounge in HKG was actually quite nice. Not quite as nice as UA's F class lounge in NRT but a close second. Prior to Covid, believe UA was going to convert both lounges into Polaris lounges.

Don't think UA will abandon HKG but doubtful it will be hub (not sure HKG was a formal hub even in 2019 but more enlightened minds will certainly know). Once China's draconian Covid rules subside, expect UA to resume HKG operations out of SFO, EWR, GUM, and possibly ORD.

The interesting thing will be whether UA decides to replace HKG as a connecting airport. In the not too distant past, we could fly HKG to GUM, SGN, NRT, MNL and SIN Perhaps UA will decide to fly nonstop from the US to SGN and/or MNL and expand its flights to SIN. While UA ponders expansion into south Asia, perhaps it will also consider resumption of BKK service.
I would love to see UA expand its tpac network, but I think it's been mentioned many times that BKK is a leisure market. Too much competition and not a whole lot to gain. Although AC just announced YVR-BKK and I think it's the only direct flight from North America.

Originally Posted by IMissThe747 View Post
I really enjoyed the United Club at HKG, it was one of my favorites. I could enjoy some actual hot food, which was miles beyond what was on offer when I finally arrived at the UC in DEN after a connection or two. Too bad about the demise of the HKG United Club, and HKG in general. Maybe BKK would be a good replacement.

I used to be a CX Marco Polo Silver... I enjoyed the CX lounges there as well.

At least the memories remain.
I agree that UC HKG is light years ahead of the UC DEN in terms of food, but right around the corner, there is the HKG Centurion Lounge, which was light years ahead of the UC HKG.
oopl and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Is it really that big of a loss? I mean, the Centurion Lounge, which is close by, has superior food
As *G, Biz class, or UC member that option is meaningless. And any closed off lounge is a loss, especially a UA lounge for UA passengers

Wonderful memories in that open air lounge, with some nice hot bites before taking the short leg to SIN or SGN. SighÖ
SPN Lifer, Eadward and tcdtcd like this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
As *G, Biz class, or UC member that option is meaningless. And any closed off lounge is a loss, especially a UA lounge for UA passengers

Wonderful memories in that open air lounge, with some nice hot bites before taking the short leg to SIN or SGN. Sigh…
I agree, but I like to think a lot of frequent fliers have an AMEX Platinum in their wallet. IMO, it's a must-have card in a wallet. I never leave my house without my AMEX Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and Citi Prestige.

Btw, I forgot if it was you or someone else that posted the pictures of the UC. It never occurred to me that UA has a Chinese name. I can't remember if I noticed the Chinese name when I was at HKG. My five years of Chinese education at university can certainly come in handy in East Asia.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 1:23 am

I agree, but I like to think a lot of frequent fliers have an AMEX Platinum in their wallet. IMO, it's a must-have card in a wallet. I never leave my house without my AMEX Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and Citi Prestige.

Btw, I forgot if it was you or someone else that posted the pictures of the UC. It never occurred to me that UA has a Chinese name. I can't remember if I noticed the Chinese name when I was at HKG. My five years of Chinese education at university can certainly come in handy in East Asia.
​​​​​​ It's 美國聯合航空公司
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 1:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti
Many, but far from all. A ton of companies require spending on a corporate credit card and those cards would be pretty useless to then have.
SPN Lifer and Air Houston like this.

Search this Thread