Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Honestly -- HKG isn't coming back - and I'm not sure the flights will either.... It is going to be just another mainland China city... As an international company that used to have operations there we relocated all of our operations to SIN and TYO. The hospitality business will continue to be strong there for a short time -- but even that will start to crumble as there isn't any reason for mainland Chinese to come there any more -- but beyond that HKG has totally lost it's status as a global financial hub -- and that is what truly (will have) killed it....
I think it depends on 'just another mainland city' looks like. If it can manage to coexist with Shanghai as a financial center, then it could be viable....PVG supported SFO 2x (I think), LAX, ORD, and EWR pre-pandemic. That's more than UA was flying to HKG. But if it just becomes the ugly stepsister to Shenzhen, then there's a comedown. But Hong Kong's unique geography could theoretically still make it attractive as a tourist destination further down the road.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
PVG supported SFO 2x (I think), LAX, ORD, and EWR pre-pandemic. That's more than UA was flying to HKG.
All thanks to Apple
artvandalay and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
50 seats average / day SFO-PVG. Wow. They could reconfigure a plane with a separate iClass for Apple.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer
All thanks to Apple
Before we go further off topic, the thread topic is HKG as a UA "hub".
The banner from Jan 2018 has its' own thread .The original thread was UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data) for those desiring more.

But for here, let's stick to the future of HKG for UA.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
kevflyer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
UA never operated IAD-HKG (CX did for a few months prior to Covid, IIRC)
This CX IAD flight actually lasted about 18 months (from September 2018 thru spring 2020). I flew it several times - its timing was absolutely perfect allowing for a full weekend in Hong Kong and still getting back to IAD around 9pm Sunday evening. IAD only recently removed all the Cathay Pacific signage from the check-in area earlier this year. Sadly, I highly doubt this route will ever come back.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
HKG-SGN actually didn't exist in the 90s but inaugural in 2004, there wasn't any US service to Vietnam not since PA left at 1975. The inaugural was performed by 2nd UA plane painted in new livery rising blue N196UA. The UA HK ticket office (still at Gateway tower at the time) even printed travel brochure at the time for travel to vietnam with the inaugural 744 photo
I seem to remember that inaugural featured David Hasselhoff as a celebrity passenger. I thought it was only Germans who loved Hasselhoff (RIP Norm MacDonald)
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
The origianlly planned May 28 restart of SFO-HKG flight has now passed.

Any news on the whether UA may look into a new date to restart the route? I personally doubt anyhting will happen in 2022 but just want to check if anyone has heard anything.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The origianlly planned May 28 restart of SFO-HKG flight has now passed.

Any news on the whether UA may look into a new date to restart the route? ...
Presently the start date is 6 Sept 2022 but .........
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Pre-COVID, I flew to and thru HKG quite often. It was a relatively easy GPU upgrade. Prices were pretty good. I also had multiple options from the east coast going from EWR, ORD, or SFO. I preferred having an upgraded seat all the way there vs connecting in NRT and sitting in Y for several hours. Now SIN is pretty much the only option but its pretty much an impossible upgrade. I suppose flying to TPE is another option but either way, I am forced to take a TCON to get to SFO and that upgrade is even more impossible. At that point, I might be better off just going via NRT (EWR-SFO UA E+ vs Asian carrier)
oopl likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by eng3
Pre-COVID, I flew to and thru HKG quite often. It was a relatively easy GPU upgrade. Prices were pretty good. I also had multiple options from the east coast going from EWR, ORD, or SFO. I preferred having an upgraded seat all the way there vs connecting in NRT and sitting in Y for several hours. Now SIN is pretty much the only option but its pretty much an impossible upgrade. I suppose flying to TPE is another option but either way, I am forced to take a TCON to get to SFO and that upgrade is even more impossible. At that point, I might be better off just going via NRT (EWR-SFO UA E+ vs Asian carrier)
Probably. There is some hope that HKG will restart if the quarantine period would be lessened, and there is talk of this, but I don't suspect that it will happen earlier than later this fall.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Probably. There is some hope that HKG will restart if the quarantine period would be lessened, and there is talk of this, but I don't suspect that it will happen earlier than later this fall.
It was reported today that HK is looking to potentially ending quarantine requirements in November and replace them with daily PCR testing. It's still a huge hassle and I don't know show going to foot the bill. This isn't going to help tourism, but it'll help people who reside and work in HK.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lsquare
It was reported today that HK is looking to potentially ending quarantine requirements in November and replace them with daily PCR testing. It's still a huge hassle and I don't know show going to foot the bill. This isn't going to help tourism, but it'll help people who reside and work in HK.
The reality is that HK used to be a place of Commerce and Character -- now they are both totally and completely gone.... Any international company with operations there has already relocated -- or simply shut down. Tourism is non existent and will be for a long time.... Unlike mainland China (where companies have factories / operations) there really isn't any reason for a foreigner to go there any more -- and making it easier for locals to come and go won't really help the economy..... HK as we know it is gone -- it's truly a shame....
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
The reality is that HK used to be a place of Commerce and Character -- now they are both totally and completely gone.... Any international company with operations there has already relocated -- or simply shut down. Tourism is non existent and will be for a long time.... Unlike mainland China (where companies have factories / operations) there really isn't any reason for a foreigner to go there any more -- and making it easier for locals to come and go won't really help the economy..... HK as we know it is gone -- it's truly a shame....
I agree with the sentiment expressed here but international companies haven't yet gone. For one thing, it's not easy relocating operations during a pandemic and, for another, nobody wants to insult China by pulling out of HK and relocating elsewhere outside China. So it's being done quietly. Leavers aren't being replaced (they can't be anyway as nobody in their right mind would want to move there) and operations are slowly being built up in Singapore or wherever. But it's not easy. The Singaporeans are very tight with visas for foreigners currently, Japan isn't really an option and the cost of living in Australia is too high to attract ex-pats in large numbers.
So, in short, yes HK is finished but it would still be a fun place to go right now if it weren't effectively closed.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Besides the tie up with NH I doubt UA is bothered with the status of onward *A connections in Asia. They fill up their flights to their own endpoints as it is (setting aside COVID)
Absolutely agree and may be a big reason for relocating a number of flights to HND. By and large, they’ve abandoned NRT on routes that NH flies anyway. For the same reason, I doubt UA would consider HKG to be an intentional connection point ever again.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Jul 15, 2022 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I agree with the sentiment expressed here but international companies haven't yet gone. For one thing, it's not easy relocating operations during a pandemic and, for another, nobody wants to insult China by pulling out of HK and relocating elsewhere outside China. So it's being done quietly. Leavers aren't being replaced (they can't be anyway as nobody in their right mind would want to move there) and operations are slowly being built up in Singapore or wherever. But it's not easy. The Singaporeans are very tight with visas for foreigners currently, Japan isn't really an option and the cost of living in Australia is too high to attract ex-pats in large numbers.
So, in short, yes HK is finished but it would still be a fun place to go right now if it weren't effectively closed.
Not to get off topic, but how has HK changed in the last 2.5 years? I visited in fall 2019 and it was still fun, even with the protests. I have no idea what HK would be like now after the covid shutdowns.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.