Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the future of Hong Kong in the United’s Asia Route Network? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy

The real question to me is what Asian hub(s) UA will use to serve onward *A carriers. They've moved out of NRT for HND for a number of flights, and SIN isn't great to then backtrack. ICN is Skyteam dominated because of Korean Air (esp. if Asiana purchase goes through). PEK is unattractive as hub. Gonna be a challenge and seems likely to be a grab bag depending on where you're going.
I don't see any viable alternatives. High risk to hub up/expand TPE with all the stuff going on out there - and I don't see them hubbing/expanding MNL - they've got their own issues. The appeal of HKG was it was both a business and tourist destination and with the business appeal being killed off it is difficult to make money on a largely leisure route whenever that may return.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
EVA is actually one of the better options to most of SE Asia.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The appeal of HKG was it was both a business and tourist destination and with the business appeal being killed off it is difficult to make money on a largely leisure route whenever that may return.
Agree, and would add I don't think HKG as a tourist destination will ever recover...they'll be afraid to go there. First, SARS, then the crackdown, then COVID.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS and 1MM; SPG/Marr Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Agree, and would add I don't think HKG as a tourist destination will ever recover...they'll be afraid to go there. First, SARS, then the crackdown, then COVID.
I was on the last ORD to HKG United flight. This was during the height of the democratic protests and crackdown. I counted eight of us out of forty business seats. The flight attendant said I could have any or all of the meals, maybe the best service I ever received on a flight. I will miss hiking up Victoria Peak.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Is Hong Kong even open yet?

Originally Posted by 9elf S
or all of the meals
LOL

that's just awesome. You should have said "yes I'll take everything you got, thank you"
oopl likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 2022 at 4:45 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
This thread is not as interesting as "Is Hong Kong Dead as a Cathay Pacific Hub? What's next?", to be honest.

(or "Is Cathay Pacific Dead?" for that matter)
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 9elf S
I was on the last ORD to HKG United flight. This was during the height of the democratic protests and crackdown. I counted eight of us out of forty business seats. The flight attendant said I could have any or all of the meals, maybe the best service I ever received on a flight. I will miss hiking up Victoria Peak.
I had the opposite experience on the last HKG-GUM UA flight and it was full front and back. I got CPU'd as a lowly Gold and had an indifferent / borderline rude FA.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
FWIW UA wanted to open a PL at HKG but I think we all know that one isn't gonna happen even pre-pandemic given the protests and situation before it, and it doesn't look good for the LHR or NRT locations either considering UA removed the mention of those on their Polaris tracker.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
FWIW UA wanted to open a PL at HKG but I think we all know that one isn't gonna happen even pre-pandemic given the protests and situation before it, and it doesn't look good for the LHR or NRT locations either considering UA removed the mention of those on their Polaris tracker.
HKG clearly doesn't make sense any time soon if ever, for reasons above.

LHR makes sense regardless, assuming they're going to keep building these lounges.

NRT is a bit oddball given they're now splitting flights with HND - which one would they build?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

LHR makes sense regardless, assuming they're going to keep building these lounges.

NRT is a bit oddball given they're now splitting flights with HND - which one would they build?
Non-sequitur, but the next Polaris Lounge to open is going to be DEN. I do not see offshore Polaris Lounges opening any time soon.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by hhdl
This thread is not as interesting as "Is Hong Kong Dead as a Cathay Pacific Hub? What's next?", to be honest.

(or "Is Cathay Pacific Dead?" for that matter)
"Is Hong Kong Dead?" is the real question
lhrsfo, LETTERBOY and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevflyer
I had the opposite experience on the last HKG-GUM UA flight and it was full front and back. I got CPU'd as a lowly Gold and had an indifferent / borderline rude FA.
As an aside, I miss those Asia-GUM flights. I made use of both PVG and HKG to Guam and it was a nice getaway for whenever I wanted to experience a bit of Americana without the long haul. CPU was always guaranteed as well on those routes! Obviously, now, no airlines will be adding China flights for a long time.
SPN Lifer and kevflyer like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red

Getting OT but I guess they can convert the GF lounge at LHR to a Polaris one and keep the UC as a *G in Y lounge as well as UC members. For TYO, I'm guessing NRT for the same reason given that UA has the 3rd floor as the former GFL.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A question is does UA need a single asian hub? Why?

There are 3-4 viable "focus cities" (NRT/HND/TPE/SIN? even HKG, PVG, . ...) where UA customers can then connect to a secondary destination use *A partners. UA does not seem interested in any fifth freedom flights and with 787s, is more focused on long thin flights than heavy lift flights needing a collector hub to justify.

The concept of an Asian hub isn't needed for UA.

And with some diversification UA becomes a bit more immune to local impacts.
artvandalay, wrp96 and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
EVA were a very pleasant surprise, I would not hesitate to use them in the future, world class !
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.